Author Topic: Both dogs started waking up early  (Read 1142 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Both dogs started waking up early
« on: June 08, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
Our 11 month old puppy has slept in the kitchen in his crate happily since he was 10 weeks old.  My 3 and a half year old cocker sleeps on the landing as good as gold  (now that he’s close to us!). The weird thing is that over the past 2 weeks they’ve both started waking barking/scratching door around 6am (our alarm goes off at 6.30).  Usually we’re the ones getting them up and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to why. 

Thanks.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Both dogs started waking up early
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:18:16 PM »
Set your alarm for 5.55am and listen out to see if there is a new noise dusturbing them. And see which one is setting the other off.

Also, now the days are longer, could the light be waking the younger one in the kitchen?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
The light mornings are definately waking our dog earlier
We are super super lucky with ours, on the weekend he will happily sleep until 9am (if we allow ourselves to sleep that long!) However on the weekends at the minute he is pacing around the kitchen by 7.30... weekdays he gets up at 5.30 with us which he hates. But yes, longer light time , earlier mornings for ours too!!

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
Just found that the collared doves are nesting in the back garden so may not be helping with Snoopy (he was 1 yesterday!).   My husband left at 6.15 today so I was up not long after, due to both dogs being disturbed.  Amazingly both my teenagers don’t seem to hear/bother about the early morning howling/crying from the kitchen  >:(.   Here goes for tomorrow.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »
Update:  It’s Benji on the landing who’s waking up 6/6.15am!  He’ll be 4 in September.  Why is he changing?

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »
We have learned a guy who lives in our close gets up and leaves for work between 5 and 5.15 - on his very, very noisy motorbike   >:D
No wonder Maximus is always wide awake by 5.30.   
At least when the weather gets colder he will go back to using his car so we might get a bit of a lie in then. 
Also we are extremely lucky as once Max has got up and done his business, he happily goes back into his crate and goes back to sleep.   :luv:  Not bad for almost 6 months old.   
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »
Our dogs have been waking (and barking to let us know!) at 05:50 every morning except weekends. We highly suspect that one of our near neighbours sets his alarm at this time to get ready for work and, as we all have windows wide open overnight, the sound travels. The dogs tend to bark at the doorbell, the phone, oven timer and microwave so it's no surprise that they respond to an alarm clock. They've never heard one in this house, we're retired and no longer have need for them  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope