Author Topic: Dog eaten baby bird  (Read 1169 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Dog eaten baby bird
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
It happened at the weekend and I’m struggling to get over it! I love my garden birds and just devastated about what he’s done.  I think he killed it and then ate it once we realised what he was playing with in the garden.  He’s a 1 year old show cocker.  My other one has never bothered with them other than a half hearted gallop to say this is my garden. 

He is a snail/worm/grub eater and I’m battling to keep an eye on him.  It’s impossible to be out in the garden with him every time.  Any one have any suggestions? 

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Dog eaten baby bird
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Bob ate a baby rabbit. He wouldn’t let it go and it flopped. I tied him to a tree at the end of the garden and came back later. No bunny
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
Our working cocker was one on Friday.

The list to date includes: 3 dead mice; a dead rabbit head (ears and all); a blue tit found in a barley field; 2 mice that the cat brought in; two whole nests full of fledglings, systematically taken at various intervals over about 2 weeks-directly from the nests; one large rat-killed but not eaten.

You're doing better than us!  :shades:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
Our working cocker was one on Friday.

The list to date includes: 3 dead mice; a dead rabbit head (ears and all); a blue tit found in a barley field; 2 mice that the cat brought in; two whole nests full of fledglings, systematically taken at various intervals over about 2 weeks-directly from the nests; one large rat-killed but not eaten.

You're doing better than us!  :shades:

You could rent him out to Rentokil at that rate!,  :rofl1:

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
It's in their nature I'm afraid. My dog has caught two rabbits killed one. Killed a couple of birds and injured countless mice. All you can do is keep an eye on your dog as much as you can but I don't think you can stop it completely unless you keep your dog on lead all the time.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
same here. fledgling blackbird caught and swallowed whole
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Thanks.  You’ve made me feel that this is just the beginning so I’d better toughen up.   ph34rAll of the spaniels Ive had and my husband’s spaniels have never eaten dead animals.  I may have to stop feeding the garden birds ...

Offline Digger

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
 :005: :005: ...rentokil! Hahahahahaaa Yes I could hire her out- after all, she is meant to be a working dog and has so far made no effort whatsoever to get a job! :lol2:
...unless you count cat deterrent services... >:D

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:22 PM »
It's in their nature I'm afraid. My dog has caught two rabbits killed one. Killed a couple of birds and injured countless mice. All you can do is keep an eye on your dog as much as you can but I don't think you can stop it completely unless you keep your dog on lead all the time.

I’ve just spent three years educating Coral not to chase and not to catch. 

She once caught a chaffinch and brought it to hand completely unharmed- it flew off when released though I don't hold out much hope it survived due shock. She’s never killed.  Training was stepped up as even once is unacceptable to me.

It can be trained but takes patience and the help of a gundog trainer.

To quote Peter Jones - “we ask a lot of our dogs: they are born to hunt, flush, chase, kill and eat their prey.  Our job is to interrupt their natural cycle and ask them to retrieve after the flush...not all dogs can do that and not all handlers can train their dog to do it”.  I think he may have been referring to Coral at the time  :shades:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »
Yep it is in there nature, but as for feeding the birds, sadly I stopped two years ago - this was due to me seeing a rat in the winter.  Plus in just last week I had to deal with a dead blackbird due to an evil grey cat that Ollie keeps chasing off his patch. 
We are semi rural so we get all sorts from hedgehogs to bunnies :lol2: in the garden

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Digger

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:05:23 AM »
I think it depends on the dog as well.
 Our Springer never hurt anything. When our youngest girl was growing up we had all sorts free ranging in the garden - chickens, guinea pigs, goslings. He never hurt anything. He caught a rabbit on the meadows once and put it down at my feet whereupon it hopped away. He even had a day old chick in his mouth once- I said oh my God! and he carefully popped it back on the floor. He was a sweet gentle thing.
This one's a killer. How can you tell when they're 8 weeks old? I don't think you can. ph34r