Author Topic: Dress Rehearsal went too well!!  (Read 1288 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Dress Rehearsal went too well!!
« on: July 23, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
Well, after nearly 12 months at getting up at the crack of dawn in all weathers every Sunday morning to train and a near perfect round at the trial run last week, Humphrey and I failed miserably at the Subordination part of the basic dog certificate on Saturday. Among the hundreds of exuses that I keep making for myself, I made the mistake of giving him breakfast first, it was very very hot and I was like a bag of jelly!
We took our places at the starting line and Humphrey promptly lay down ! Following my trainer's previous advice, I called "HEEL" and marched off confidently, - on my own!  :lol2: After a lot of thigh slapping, calling and cajoling (while mentally adding up the points!), we finally got moving, albeit very begrudgingly on Humphrey's part. After taking his lead off but not stowing it away properly in my pocket (lost points) we did the figure of eight through the group of people. One person obviously had very smelly feet  which Humphrey decided needed to be investigated (lost points) but we finally got moving again however by that time I was in a complete lather and forgot which way we were supposed to go. Humphrey, bless him, decided he'd better help out by going and doing a bit of reconnaissance of his own, cocking his leg on the way! (lots of points lost, normally disqualification!)
My one consolation was that the gentleman who turned up dressed in all the latest designer "doggy" gear with a beautiful very obedient labrador and who took first position, let it out that he'd had to start a facebook search action last week when Wonder Dog alias "Ruprecht"  had jumped the garden fence and gone AWOL for a whole afternoon!!   :005:
The training's been really useful but we don't really need the certificate so we won't be going for it again. Despite being able to walk perfectly to heel on the training ground (most of the time), he still pulls like a train if we go to town BUT he's sociable, he doesn't run off, he's obedient at the times when I need him to be, his recall is pretty good and we love him to bits - and that, at the end of the day, is all I really need!  :luv:

Offline bmthmark

Re: Dress Rehearsal went too well!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »
Sorry that did make me laugh  :005: especially 'cocking his leg on the way'

Poor Humphrey just didn't feel like it  :lol:

They are funny these cockers, some days they are just perfect. Then the next week they could be a devil dog  >:D
But when you look at their little faces you just can't be mad.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:02:33 PM »
Rosie failed Her second puppy exam miserably and we left the training after that because a) she disrupted the class and b) I too felt we didnt need the exam, She is good most of thetime etcetc.But overjoyed last week when We were out and met up with the dog trainers, their dogs and another couplewhose dogs were perfect at the training.....perfect dogs went mental on their leads while Rosie walked up to the trainers with tail wagging as She remebered them, then sat in front of them waiting to say Hello, said hello to each of them and to their dogs ,didnt jump at them, just sat calmly...but perfect dogs were still going crazy.....I was such a proud Mum....

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
hahah they do make us look daft dont they!

I gave up agility because Jinley just couldnt see the point and after the trainer had told me to run round like a cheerleader with my arms waving in the air to try to raise her enthusiasm I gave it up as she still walked round the jumps, couldnt see the point of weaving when a straight line was much more efficient and the tunnel was just for piece and quiet out of sight from me flapping like a chicken (probably embarrassed).  But on the plus side she will sit next to us in a pub quietly whilst we eat and drink and although she is not a lover of other dogs (a bit grumpy when they invade her space) she is sociable with people.  We all want / expect different things from our dogs, but every now and again we can smile inwardly whilst someone is having a problem with theirs.  ;)

Offline Digger

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
I reckon Humphreys a goooood boooooy!

Like you say/ he does as he's told when you need him to, and he loves his mummy!

Go Humphrey-the boys got character!  :luv:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
oh dear they always do this but then we wouldn't have cockers if they didn't make us laugh
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!