Author Topic: Aggression towards other dogs  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Barb63

Aggression towards other dogs
« on: July 30, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »
Alfie is now 3 years old
Always been fine with other dogs, but recently has shown some unprovoked aggression in particular to spaniels😥

The first time was when a puppy came up to him and was quite persistent in wanting his attention
He did give a warning growl, which the pup ignored so alfie pinned him down . He did come back when called and was promptly put back in the lead.
Yesterday he met another spaniel ( both on leads)
And just lunged forward snarling and growling
I really want to nip this behaviour in the bud
He is excellent with children( although I will be very careful now)
He is the biggest softie going , so good when we take him out
I really don’t understand his behaviour
He wasn’t being threatened by this other dog at all
We have had a cocker spaniel before and never encountered this before

Offline lescef

Re: Aggression towards other dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
Hi. I have a seven year old who became aggressive at about three years old.
The first thing that is recommended is a vet check to make sure he is not in pain.
It's very difficult to work out why this happens but if you can find a positive trainer, they can help you to deal with the behaviour.
We were told not to let her practice the behaviour as it becomes the normal way to behave. Keep your distance from other dogs and also teach an alternative behaviour as a distraction. If we see another dog I say 'let's go' and she knows to keep moving and then gets a treat.
It is so sad when their behaviour is like this as it prevents walks where there are likely to be off lead dogs who might run over.  >:(
Good luck
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
I can't explain why this is a new behaviour, but it sounds as though he has done no more than many dogs do, and truthfully I wouldn't call him an aggressive dog, although I understand why you want to make sure things don't escalate.

Many adult dogs have a tolerance limit towards pups (and other dogs) that rush up to them and are pushy. In dog body language, it's a very rude and impolite way to greet another dog and it makes many dogs nervous. Alfie warned the pup with a growl and when the pup ignored it he pinned him down. That's fairly normal dog behaviour and wasn't an attack or overtly aggressive. Unpleasant for the pup, pup's owner and you, but it was not an act of unprovoked aggression. One of my two will do it to pushy pups because he becomes very anxious, and because of that I put him back on lead when I see a pup approach and call out to the pup owner asking them to do the same.

Dogs on lead are often worried about meeting others. Being on lead makes it difficult for them to display their normal body language and difficult for them to read the restricted body language of the other dog on lead. That can make one or both become reactive and ready to growl or lunge as a reaction. Again, it doesn't mean the dog is showing unprovoked aggression. If I'm in that situation I keep away from other dogs on leads by changing course or crossing the road or whatever, with a cheerful and positive "let's go" to my dog to help him keep calm and not get anxious. It can be a nuisance to do, but many other dog owners understand that dogs on leads are usually on lead for a reason and are kind enough to take a diversion themselves.

Can I suggest that you do some reading on canine body language, which is a fascinating subject, and also consider finding a trainer who uses modern, positive training methods, to help you understand why Alfie is reacting and to help you find a way forward.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
a dog behaviourist locally here does classes for 'prickly pooches' so well worth seeing if you can find one where you live. I have a reactive dog an use distraction methods as I also have him off lead. In his case its food I use but wish he was more toy/ball oriented as I find that easier to work with for some things. You need to get you dog to be able to focus on you when you need it.

As Elaine suggested you ened to look at his body language. Bosley is fine with dogs he knows but it OTT with strange dogs, partly out of fear so now I then to put him back on lead if I meet dogs I don't know then focus him to me
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:22 PM »
Our Rosie has started, at 2 1/2 , to become a bit touchy with some dogs, having been quite submissive She now gives a warning growl and if that is ignored She can be a bit bossy, but this is with dogs who persist in sniffing etc around Her, She is giving out a message and if they ignore it then She gives a warning shot across the bows.Most dogs know how to ‘behave’ , can read the messages being given out and Rosie does the same, some dogs She gives a wide berth, some its a quick hello others its game on.Smaller puppies are fine, bigger ones are a problem, they dont read the message as they are too young but can cause harm as they are big, bouncy etc ....I can see where Rosie is coming from on this and can understand why She was a problem as a bouncy pup.....I dont think She is an aggressive dog, far from it and just think She has grown up a bit, is a bit more confident and will stand no nonsense....but with people and especially children She is an absolute darling, sits in front of themand then rolls over for a tummy rub....

Offline hoover

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
Ollie goes through phases of this and if there is one incident we take care to try to avoid other dogs for a little while so that he doesn't practice the behaviour.  After he's done it once or twice he seems to resort to it more readily and more pre-emptively on the next few encounters, so we need to prevent it becoming a habit.  After a few days we begin to reintroduce him again, looking initially for the encounters we know he works best with - multiple dogs (which inhibit his pre-emptive aggression as he probably anticipates he will come off worse), larger, older, more stable and relaxed looking dogs. Then he begins to practice more appropriate behavioural responses in meetings and this becomes his new habit, and we can build from that and progress to other encounters with dogs (always with our fingers crossed there will be no setbacks!).  Another trick we use if another dog comes bounding up and we know we can not get Ollie away is that we actively welcome the other dog over so it looks like we are controlling the encounter and are pleased to see the other dog, and (usually) Ollie takes from that that he does not need to be afraid or to use aggression.

Offline Barb63

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »
Thank you for all your really helpful replies
Really appreciate it
I asked the dog walker if he’s ok with him and he’s never had a problem
He’s generally really good on and off the lead
I can only hope it’s not going to be a behaviour he starts to show more often
When I’ve told people what happened they have all been very surprised, as he’s known to be such s softie
Well I suppose we all have our off days🐶🐶🐶🐶