Author Topic: You give them love ... they give you hell  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Leo0106

You give them love ... they give you hell
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
So the hunger pukes is solved. No more pukes and a few biscuits before bed.

But what has my tender loving care produced? A barking hound...

Im usually the proud owner of a dog who has only twice ever woken me up in the night. And that was about a year ago.
Until he started puking and i made the decision to go and see him in the nighttime becuase i thought he was poorly.

I then made a reallly stupid decision to let him sleep in my bed on saturday for the first time ever after OH left unexpectadly with the military...
Last night he went straight back in the kitchen and i didnt hear a wink!! Halleluyah. What a flexible dog i have.

Tonight im 90 minutes into him barking at every single little noise outside, to the point he is making his throat sore.

What do i do?! Do i go and see him or is that reinforcing the behaviour? Do i leave him?! HELP!! Ive never had a dog disrupted night in my life!!!

Offline Gazrob

Re: You give them love ... they give you hell
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
Just leave him. Don't back down. Because you have been a bit soft with him he's thinks if I keep doing this you will eventually give in to his demands. Of course I've also made this mistake once or twice its normal. Stick with your routine or you will have trouble.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »
Last night might have been a one off. I suppose you'll only find that out tonight, but at this stage I wouldn't worry too much after one restless night.

If it persists could you leave a radio on quietly overnight? It might be enough to lessen what he can hear from outside and distract him from it. Or could he sleep in a room where he can hear less from outside?

My two have the occasional night upstairs with me and it's not made them more demanding. They're comfortably back in their normal routine of sleeping downstairs the following night, so I wouldn't necessarily link last night to allowing him upstairs a couple of nights ago.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
Stay strong and don't give in. I'm sure he was just trying his luck  :005:

He will soon get the message if you don't go, if you do go he knows to bark to get your attention. If you are worried and want to check on him, wait for him to stop for a little bit and go and see him. Don't see him whilst in full bark mode.

These cockers are far too clever. My Jett has now decided at night time he doesn't want to go to bed anymore, so he makes himself heavy and anchors to the ground  :lol:
5 minutes after getting him in his crate he is snoring away  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
Agree with the others! Humphrey has also had the very occasional night with me and on holiday had to sleep in our room for a fortnight. I think the main thing is to go back to the old routine (except for the new nighttime biscuit treat, ofcourse ;)) and just act like nothing‘s happened. They‘re very quick to take advantage of any indecisiveness or reticence on our part, but that‘s why we just love ‚em!!  :luv: Good Luck!  ;)

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
Thanks all. I stood strong last night... and got a grand total of 3 hours uninterrupted sleep  :lol2:
I did go down to him at 2 points as i was losing the will to live but i made sure i didnt make any eye contact or reallt speak to him. I just opened the door pointed to his bed and left the room....
We have a puppycam and i swear he knows i watch it as he was staring straight down the camera barking all night.

Hes not poorly etc. Tonight im going to go full on ignorant and just let him bark it out.
.... and have wine at the ready

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »
Thanks all. I stood strong last night... and got a grand total of 3 hours uninterrupted sleep  :lol2:
I did go down to him at 2 points as i was losing the will to live but i made sure i didnt make any eye contact or reallt speak to him. I just opened the door pointed to his bed and left the room....
We have a puppycam and i swear he knows i watch it as he was staring straight down the camera barking all night.

Hes not poorly etc. Tonight im going to go full on ignorant and just let him bark it out.
.... and have wine at the ready

:005: - just have visions of him sticking his tongue out at the camera!  :005: :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »
]

:005: - just have visions of him sticking his tongue out at the camera!  :005: :005:
[/quote]

Well at least he's not drinking the toilet water.......me think's he's another Ollie acts up for Mum and his the most well behaved cocker you have ever seen for his master :005:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
]

Well at least he's not drinking the toilet water.......me think's he's another Ollie acts up for Mum and his the most well behaved cocker you have ever seen for his master :005:
[/quote]

Ahh see there i disagree with you.. god forbid i left leo with the master of the house for 3 months like the master leaves us... leo would end up in he local pound  :005:  hes so much better for me as a rule..... just is clearly putting his foot down at the minute

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »
awake and barking every night atleast 3 times. However is now settling himself after around 20 minutes.. and is no longer staring at the camera.. actually seems to be barking at something in the garden every time (puppy cam is the best thing i ever bought) ....
I want a full night sleep  :'(
Has also reverted back to scratching at the front door and howling every time he hears a car outside (did this last time OH went away too)
I sometimes wish they wernt so attuned to regular routine/noises. Its heartbreaking!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Our guest labrador started barking at the neighbours cat who walks across our patio at night and peers in (and, I suspect, also sticks his tongue out! :lol2:).
Maybe Leo feels more of a need to protect you when hubby‘s away?  :luv:

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Mmmm maybe.. hes certainly acting like a guarddog at home. And last time OH left he was quite protective of me on walks too..
Wouldnt mind if the protetion wasnt so loud  :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »
I am 100% sure it's linked to your OH not being around again.
Ollie has his weird little ways during the week, his master is away two nights most weeks, and he knows he is going, the garment bag on the bed the night before and he blonks himself in the hall watching everymove then when bag moves Ollie moves to follow said bag to the car.

Next morning it's back in the hall routine and following Dad to car - till finally it's the little dance for the hug and good bye biscuit time....then he is 100% in charge of me and wow is he my security guard

It's on the bed and curl up so I can't make the bed routine. Then it's the follow Mum everywhere routine and I mean everywhere. :shades: He continues to time manage my whole days, meals walks MIL for coffee etc.

Tomorrow will be manic every car noise he will bark at till finally he hears the car door bang, he is fast asleep on the bed as I type, but 45mins ago he heard those words he truly understands  ;) Ollie sausage tomorrow theres a good boy !!

Yep he brings him a sausage everytime he comes home - I wonder if these hotel see him wrapping a sausage up at breakfast.

Then peace prevails In Ollietown till next week and it starts again.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 09:51:43 PM »
Im pretty sure its linked. The difficulty we had this time was that we only had a days notice before OH left. So a manic day of leaving leo to his own devices whilst we manicly packed 3 months worth of supplies was met with a sulking dog who wouldnt even approach his dad when he left the house.

Hes been attached to my hip everytime ive been home ever since. The dog walker also reports hes gone back into protective mode over her when she has taken him out this week. Which is what happened last time too.

I made the mistake of saying 'lets go home to daddy' tonight which is what i usually say to pull him away from playing with his doggy girlfriend to get him home. So he went home and searched for dad for 15 minutes.

Im sure it will get better. Hes just taken himself off to bed so heres hoping to a quiet night!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me at how much there brain retains...they are one clever breed.

Ollie is 11 in novemeber and we have stayed in one particular hotel half a dozen times since we had him, after a two year break we went again last year, the room has a slim lounge with sliding doors that lead to bedroom and another to bathroom.  He belts through the rooms and stands in the bathroom looking down and up at the spot I always put his dish doing a dance till we gave him a drink......unbelievable.

Am sure Leo will settle soon...........hope hubby isn't deployed for too long