Author Topic: Adaptil - any views?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline RobinRed

Adaptil - any views?
« on: August 08, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi, my beautiful boy Harry turned one recently and we are really pleased with how he has developed. We’d almost say he is perfect except if we’re out when the postman comes he attacks the skirting boards. This is only when we’re out so impossible to train him out of it. He did do this when he was younger and we thought he’d grown out of it but it started again a few weeks ago. I’m concerned it’s going to be a lifelong habit  >:D.

I’ve just wiped everywhere with a lemon hoping it’ll be a deterrent but am wondering if anyone has any experience of  adaptil in similar circumstances? My other option is to crate him (he sleeps in a crate at night). If the postman doesn’t come Harry just sleeps like an angel.  Help!

Offline Issy

• Donator
Re: Adaptil - any views?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
We used an Adaptil plug in, collars and spray at different times when our old terrier had dementia and when Smudge was nervous in kennels for the first few times and it seemed to really help so would be worth trying but can you not move him away from the front door?  If he had a room between him and the post man he might not be so stressed? 

Offline RobinRed

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
Thanks Issy that’s a really good idea - I live in a terraced house and Harry has the hallway to run in so Im going to see if we can put a stair gate up to block off the part near the front door.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
If the adaptil doesn't work. I would crate him in another room away from the front door. That way he and the house wont get damaged.

Offline Digger

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
Hiya.
Just thought I'd chime in with a view on the adaption. I bought a collar for a rescue dog that was so stressed in the car she would drool and be soaked. With the collar on, dry xxx as a bone so I reckoned that was quite definitive proof that it worked.
Also agree, if you have a dog that reacts in any way to people at the front door, put the dog where it can't see the front door.
 :D