Author Topic: This is my problem when walking  (Read 3129 times)

Offline bodlamby

This is my problem when walking
« on: August 16, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
I’ll try and describe the problem we have with our 4 month old male Cocker Spaniel during our walks.
When we go out on a walk, through woodland areas or along tracks that are footpaths, we can let him off the lead and he will come to command knowing he is going to get a treat. It’s great to see him staying close giving us confidence that some training is paying off.
Now for the problem:
If we are on a ‘there and back’ route, as soon as we turn to return to the car he will set off with a fast walk at first. At this point he can be called back for a treat but after this he will start to run back to the car and no amount of calling will bring him back. Fortunately he didn’t need to cross a road and was found sat next to the car waiting for us. I’m wondering if the giving of a treat at this point is reinforcing the idea that to run back to the car is a good idea.
On the circular woodland walks it has happened as well but only when he reaches a section of the woodland that he recognises, by either smell or sight. This recognition is sometimes a week after the previous walk. He seems to have some sort of built in Sat Nav.
It’s now at a point where we put him on the lead just before we set off back but he pulls like he’s a husky dog. Seems desperate to get back.
So the problem is twofold and my question is:
Has anybody else got experience of this and will he grow out of the returning problem.
The lead pulling is something we are working on.
Thanks for any replies.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: This is my problem when walking
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »
Mmmm they have a tendency to think "Its okay I know where I am going, I will meet you there!"

Have you tried turning round and start walking in the opposite direction?

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 05:15:41 PM »
Do you do “follow me” with him?  We have a seven month old cocker that at one stage was a little stubborn with recall  ;).  When she decided to completely ignore me I was advised by the trainer that we must not let her make it a habit so if out she is either “following me” nicely or she is on a long line where she has no choice if on fields etc.
“ follow me “ is basically as it sounds.  Start walking, call pup and as soon as they come to you say good boy and drop a small piece of food. Change direction March off and repeat. Progress onto just marching off and not saying anything just dropping the food when they catch up.
They need to be hungry so we walk before meals and she has some of her kibble en route! 
It has worked with Poppy and she now knows exactly where I (and her breakfast) am.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »
I completely understand your problem. Mine are always way ahead on the way back but don't completely bolt. I also think dogs remember where they have been even a year later!
He is still very young so things might improve but I  understand that you don't want him practicing the behaviour.
Does he stop when ahead and 'check in' with you on the first bit of your walks?  I used to use the clicker when mine turned round then reward. They get used to checking you are there. 
The other thing might be to reach a 'stop' command but that takes time  >:(
There is a good fb page called Dog training advice and support  which might point you in the right direction. Good luck!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
Mmmm they have a tendency to think "Its okay I know where I am going, I will meet you there!"

Have you tried turning round and start walking in the opposite direction?

Hello PatP, We have tried the turning round option which will work but then he runs back towards the car and no amount of walking in the opposite direction will work. I'm sure he hears us but will not acknowledge.

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
I completely understand your problem. Mine are always way ahead on the way back but don't completely bolt. I also think dogs remember where they have been even a year later!
He is still very young so things might improve but I  understand that you don't want him practicing the behaviour.
Does he stop when ahead and 'check in' with you on the first bit of your walks?  I used to use the clicker when mine turned round then reward. They get used to checking you are there. 
The other thing might be to reach a 'stop' command but that takes time  >:(
There is a good fb page called Dog training advice and support  which might point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Yes he does 'check in' when walking on the first section of the walk which is great because we can try the recall at this point, which usually works.
We are starting the puppy training classes on Saturday so the 'Stop' command may be the first to be mastered.

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:16:33 AM »
Do you do “follow me” with him?  We have a seven month old cocker that at one stage was a little stubborn with recall  ;).  When she decided to completely ignore me I was advised by the trainer that we must not let her make it a habit so if out she is either “following me” nicely or she is on a long line where she has no choice if on fields etc.
“ follow me “ is basically as it sounds.  Start walking, call pup and as soon as they come to you say good boy and drop a small piece of food. Change direction March off and repeat. Progress onto just marching off and not saying anything just dropping the food when they catch up.
They need to be hungry so we walk before meals and she has some of her kibble en route! 
It has worked with Poppy and she now knows exactly where I (and her breakfast) am.

The follow me sounds like a clever idea. We have a nearby field that can be used but he may have to be on his training lead to start.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 12:23:58 PM »
Teach him the heel and stop command. I can get my cocker to walk by my side on and off lead. It wasn't easy it took a few weeks. I use a whistle for the recall and stop.

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
We have been trying the Heel approach.

I think it is slowly coming but patience is going to be the buzz word in our house for a few weeks yet.
Things should ease. I was just wondering if other people had the same experience

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
Having posted yesterday how good Poppy was out on her walks she was obviously reading over my shoulder as last night at training she was like a little demon on speed   >:D. Naughty and unresponsive for the first twenty minutes or so. Work in progress I think.  Good job she is cute.  :005:

Offline lescef

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
I was also thinking about a whistle recall as a new thing to introduce, but again takes time.
However, I do think once they have been trained to do something on a particular path they start to do it automatically at the same place each time.
Teaching loose lead walking can be so hard yet I get to a certain road and Maddie does it perfectly. I'm sure that's because I managed to get it right the first time!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
I was also thinking about a whistle recall as a new thing to introduce, but again takes time.
However, I do think once they have been trained to do something on a particular path they start to do it automatically at the same place each time.
Teaching loose lead walking can be so hard yet I get to a certain road and Maddie does it perfectly. I'm sure that's because I managed to get it right the first time!

Absolutely agree - there are stretches of road where Humphrey just automatically falls in to heel, with or without lead because they were places where we practised a lot, other bits he‘s been allowed to pull and no amount of work will get him to break the habit there. If I can give one tip, which I wish I had heeded, ( >:() its to be consistant, decide on a good method of teaching lose lead walking and try to stick to it, even if you think it‘s not working, keep at it and be strict with yourself and your dog.  Your dog is still young, the time you put into training now will be rewarded later, this is the time where habits, both good and bad! it IS a slow process, cockers are renowned for pulling and if you look through some of the older threads on here, you‘ll find that we‘ve (nearly) all had the problem. You‘ll get there! Best of Luck!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:53 PM »
He’s only four months and is doing brilliantly !   What a star!   
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »
Just keep at it bodlamby it will come together if you stick at the training and do this every walk. They learn through repetition and routine. It might get frustrating at times but the hard work you put in now will save you years of frustrations in the years to come and might save your dogs life.

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
He’s only four months and is doing brilliantly !   What a star!

You're absolutely right! He is only four months old and he is doing really well. Maybe we are expecting too much too soon.
We had him on a woodland walk yesterday and my son took him off the main footpath into the woodland. My wife managed recall on sound alone until he could make sight of us. Very proud moment.
At the end of the walk we did have him on the lead and when he spotted the car park he really did pull but I think it was because he was tired as he fell asleep within two minutes inside the car.

We are really grateful for all the replies that people have given us