Author Topic: This is my problem when walking  (Read 3107 times)

Offline bodlamby

Re: This is my problem when walking
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Mmmm they have a tendency to think "Its okay I know where I am going, I will meet you there!"

Have you tried turning round and start walking in the opposite direction?

PatP,
I did the walking in the opposite direction on Saturday.
I was walking Sully in the local park. Nobody in sight on a big field. We were on our way back to the car but still a distance away. Let him off the lead and he started to trot to the area with the car. Shouted his name twice and walked the other way. Just noticed on the second shout tha the did the 'checking in' glance. He suddenly stopped and ran back towards me. Walked across the field in different directions for about ten minutes and only calling his name once each time. Only when he came to me did he recieve either a treat or a warm welcome and hug.
This is a similar exrcise t owhat Issy mentioned but I did it without a lead and I must admit I was very nervous.
I think part of training is to try and sound calm to the dog.

He is only four months old and we know there will be many more moments like this but I feel the sooner the better for his training.

Offline bodlamby

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »
Mmmm they have a tendency to think "Its okay I know where I am going, I will meet you there!"

Have you tried turning round and start walking in the opposite direction?

PatP,
I did the walking in the opposite direction on Saturday.
I was walking Sully in the local park. Nobody in sight on a big field. We were on our way back to the car but still a distance away. Let him off the lead and he started to trot to the area with the car. Shouted his name twice and walked the other way. Just noticed on the second shout that he did the 'checking in' glance. He suddenly stopped and ran back towards me. Walked across the field in different directions for about ten minutes and only calling his name once each time. Only when he came to me did he recieve either a treat or a warm welcome and hug.
This is a similar exrcise to what Issy mentioned but I did it without a lead and I must admit I was very nervous.
I think part of training is to try and sound calm to the dog.

He is only four months old and we know there will be many more moments like this but I feel the sooner the better for his training.

It's amazing how quickly you fall in love with them.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
Just wondered if you‘d read the „How to teach a reliable recall“ -  (first post on the training section). Can definately recommend it. I always carry a whistle with me and train at least one whistle call on every walk but also alternate it so that he also reacts to a verbal recall if necessary, a whistle is very useful if they‘re further away or if there‘s a lot of wind or other noise (and saves your voice! )  ;)