Author Topic: Obsessed with stones  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Mina

Obsessed with stones
« on: August 27, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Hello,

Sorry in advance for the long post but I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on Mina's stone/stick obsession. Since more than a year she has been obsessed with playing with stones. It started when a neighbour we met on a walk threw a lump of dry mud in the fields and Mina went to fetch it. They played this a few times and was Mina hooked! We also made the stupid mistake of playing this same game with her sometimes when in the fields as she seemed to love it so much. But then she brought the game home, substituting the mud for stones that she finds in the garden. We never threw stones for her but she is completely obsessed. She will bring us a stone and leave it at our feet, take a few steps back, sit down and stare at it. If we do not react she will bark at us or take the stone on the lawn and sit there staring at it and barking. After a while, if still no reaction on our part, she will dig at the stone and pull the grass around it making holes in the lawn… Sometimes she also chews on the stones which is the main reason I want her to stop this behaviour, I guess it is very bad for her teeth. Luckily she does not swallow them. We have also tried to tell her "no" and "leave it", which she will sometimes do but after a while she starts barking again (and she is very persistent). We have also tried to take away the stone, which she usually lets us do (although sometimes she runs away and wants us to chase her – which we of course don't) but it only means that she then goes to find another one. She is not interested in swapping the stone for a treat either.

The thing is, she does this ALWAYS when we are in the garden, which in the summer time is most of the time, so it gets a bit much. Since she became obsessed she has not played with anything else when outside, meaning that she completely lost her interest in her ball and other toys. Even inside, she rarely plays with her toys, asking instead to be let outside. This summer, however, we went on a trip to Sweden and for whatever reason she took a liking to sticks while there. Now back at home she is happy to fetch a stick and this we do with her, although she is insatiable and wants to play constantly. When we tell her playtime is over and put her stick away, she continues as before, finding stones and bringing them to us… until we all go inside.

Any ideas on how to stop this? I guess it is not a good idea to play with her with sticks either as it encourages her obsession but I thought it was better than having her chew on stones the whole time. But is there any way I can make her see the difference between sticks (allowed) and stones (not allowed)? And how to train her so she understands and accepts when playtime is finished?

As usual, thank you so much!

Offline Leo0106

Re: Obsessed with stones
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Hi milna,
I feel your pain!!!! We have a dog who used to be absolutley obsessed with bringing little stones in from the garden. It may be different with us, because when he started this habit we used to be really worried that he would swallow it (never has thankfully) however we know we paid too much again to it and used to end up chasing him to get it out of his mouth before he would swallow it.

We did, maybe the same as you, we have him attention or praise indirectly for a behaviour we didn't want him to continue. So we then had to retrain him.... Which takes a long time!

It's really difficult but the only way we got Leo out of this is to ignore the behaviour. We started by offering a treat to get him to drop the stone but that never really solved the issue. Now (And only bevause I keep a sneaky eye on him and know he won't swallow it) I just completley ignore him.. he gets closer to me, puts his face in my face while there's a stone in his mouth, he drops it infront of my feet and picks it up again etc and I just conpletely ignore it. Eventually he ends up either falling asleep wih it next to him or he drops and forgets it.
It's taken aagggeeesssss but he hasn't bought a stone in for nearly a month now.
It's unfortunately a case of praising the good behaviour and ignoring the negative. I also instigate play with leo when hes least expecting it but hes being well behaved. Jsut so he learns exactly how to get my attention if he wants to play. A ball means play, a stone means nothing etc

Im sure you'll get some extra advice here but i hope this helps a little

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
You have probably tried this but could you try and shift the focus to a ball or some other new item.
Maybe buy her a new ball and make it special by playing with her and literally making the new ball the best thing ever.
I would try and totally ignore the behavior you don't want, she probably runs outside and starts to dig and she knows she is getting attention from you. Even though you are saying 'no' she is still getting your attention. If she knows she isn't getting a reaction from you she may get bored of it (maybe).

Its sounds tricky but i'm sure over time you will sort her out.

Good luck

Offline Mina

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »
Thank you both for your advice!  :D

I understand completely ignoring her when she has a stone is the way to go. It's just soo difficult when she starts destroying the lawn and barks non-stops for long periods of time. I know I have been reinforcing this behaviour by giving her (negative) attention, so I can only blame myself. I must persevere and have more patience, obviously!  >:(

I have tried to shift her attention to other items, balls, toys, treats etc. but she is just not interested. Sometimes if I throw something for her to fetch and she does not know what it is that I throw, she will actually go after it but as soon as she realises it's not a stone (or now a stick), she will leave it and wander off to find a stone. She just won't play with anything else >:D

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Thank you both for your advice!  :D

I understand completely ignoring her when she has a stone is the way to go. It's just soo difficult when she starts destroying the lawn and barks non-stops for long periods of time. I know I have been reinforcing this behaviour by giving her (negative) attention, so I can only blame myself. I must persevere and have more patience, obviously!  >:(

I have tried to shift her attention to other items, balls, toys, treats etc. but she is just not interested. Sometimes if I throw something for her to fetch and she does not know what it is that I throw, she will actually go after it but as soon as she realises it's not a stone (or now a stick), she will leave it and wander off to find a stone. She just won't play with anything else >:D

I completely understand what you are saying. Its very difficult to leave them to it and not say anything, especially when she is damaging the turf and barking a lot.
My dog was going crazy yesterday and would not stop barking, no matter what I did he continued. So I really do feel your pain
The only way I can get him to stop is by putting him on his lead.

I would still try and get a toy that she will love, I would not give it to her very often. That way when you do get the toy out she would want it a lot more. If you think she is going to try and get the stones or dig the grass, be quick and get the new toy out.