Author Topic: Jumping on the sofa  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Bex1982

• Site Member
  • You cant buy love, but you can buy a cocker :)
Re: Jumping on the sofa
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:57 AM »
Sam sits on our sofa at home, but when he goes to my mum's on a Thursday he has never been allowed on her couch and he knows this.  It was just a lot of telling him to get down when he jumped up or just keeping him on the floor.  There is only the odd time now that he will jump up, but as soon as he is told down, he gets down right away.

Good Luck!

Maisie is the same, she sits on the sofa at home but knows she isn't allowed at my mums, although she does try and push her luck with the puppy dog eyes!!!!!   :005:  we did the same, just loads of saying 'NO'  'Down'  'bad girl'  'off' !!!!!!!  it eventually worked and sunk in that she is allowed up there, think she knows it is a treat when she is allowed up for a cuddle at my mums!!!  :D

Good luck, i hope you get sucess!!!
Bex & Maisie xxx

Offline daisy16feb

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »
sorry cant help I like cocker spaniel cuddles too much.  here are mine acting like angels!!!!

Offline TRACY KING

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
Can anyone help me I have a 6 month old cocker who's number one ambition in life is to sit on the sofa. Because of visiting relatives I do not want her to get the idea that this is ok. However no matter what I do , chairs upon chairs as barracades, comfy cushions on the floor for her - she will still take a flying leap and jump on.

It is causing major problems with things like hot drinks as when she jumps we dont have a free hand to try and stop her. This is making my evenings not a very calm place. She has a crate but I did not buy her to spend all her time in a crate - any suggestions ??

Hi only had Honey since Saturday and i wont let on sofa or bed,,,,,What we do is each time she's up on them, me and oh send her to her bed using the word basket not all the time she gets a treat....Now she goes to her bed without any fuss. Even the kids do the same....tracy

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
Give your dog somewhere else to go and reward her like mad for being there.
You might try a bed or a mat but the dog has got to think that it is the best place in the world where lots of yummy treats appear.
To prevent your dog getting on the sofa in the mean time put a houseline or lead on and if need be put your foot on it to restrict your dogs freedom.
If your dog drops into a down reward calmly.
Above all be consistent, never on the sofa means never on the sofa no matter how cute they look.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
My lot would move out if they werent allowed on the sofa! As for my foster though, we have implemented a no sofa rule as this can be one of his issues so he wears a houseline and is gently asked to go down and if he doesnt respond (he does 9/10) then I gently use the line to ease him off. He's then given praise and a pat on the floor.

How does this work with him feeling like he fits in? Am I being too soft and thinking he would feel left out and upset to be the only one not to be allowed on the sofa, or does he see it as a pack thing?

I completely see the point of it and your getting him ready for a new home that may well have this rule of no sofa, but it would break my heart :005:

Dogs dont think like that so he doesnt mind. I dont beleive in the usual pack ideas either.  ;)

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
You mean to say my dreams have been shattered and they don't talk to each other!!!!!! Only joking :005:

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »
We have a great sign in our house saying "if you want the best seat in the house move the Dog" Very true...Annie and Maisie dominate our sofa...we had friends round tonight and we all sat on the floor ph34r
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline sooze

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »
Like most people have said, you need to be consistent - it is no use letting the dog on the furniture and then suddenly saying No you can't get up - either they can or they can't ... visitors notwithstanding ...

With a bigger dog, like a Lab, it is easier, since they can sit on the floor and you can still reach their heads and ears to pet them and make them feel safe, but with Cockers, especially when they are little, you just want to cuddle them I have found ...  Also children and Partners undo all your training when they come home and want to hug the little critters ....

It is not un-do-able  - you CAN reinforce the STAY DOWN if you all do it all of the time - but I think b***** it - if your visitors don't want a hairy little person being loving, then they probably don't like kids either and maybe they pull the legs off spiders as well ....!

I think this thread probably leads back to the 'Do they sleep on your bed' but as long as they don't get possessive over either the settee or bed, then I think they are being the perfect Cocker really ! As long as they have either an alpha male/female to let them know the rules, then most dogs are happy to go along with what we want them to do :)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
no need to be alpha anything just train your dog! ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »
Saffie is not allowed on my leather sofa due to her trying to dig her way through it the first night I had it. What I did was every time she jumped up while I was on it I gently pushed her off, no voice command or eye contact. If you are making a big fuss and telling the dog to get down or off then they will start to see it as a game and do it for the reaction. After a few nights of none stop pushing off they will get the message.

Saffie now sits and has to be invited to jump on to my lap for a cuddle or fuss, and when I have had enough she is pushed off. The other sofas she can jump on as much as she likes but still knows when "off" is said she has to go to her bed.

Good luck