Author Topic: Anyone use a whistle ?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« on: July 14, 2004, 06:43:14 PM »
I recently read an article in a doggy magazine about using a whistle for recall.  Georgie is quite good at coming back to me, but Daisy, being the youngest still has a way to go.  If distracted by other people/dogs probably neither would come back !

Anyway I bought a whistle and decided to give it a try.  I blew the whistle and once  they came back to me rewarded them with some veg treats.  I was really surprised at how well it worked !!  

I was wondering if anyone else uses a whistle method and if there any useful tips ?                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 07:26:13 PM »
I'm watching this with interest.  If it works, I'll be first in line to buy one.  Not sure the neighbours will be too happy though. :lol:

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 07:35:29 PM »
Tracey

Sorry, did'nt explain myself properly - I did this in a large open space !!                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 08:14:36 PM »
Yes I do. My dog trainer told me to wear it round the house 1st (its a gundog whistle on a lanyard) and just keep treats to hand and keep whistling throughout the day and don't give the dog any commands and then treat them. Then once he was used to that take it outside and use it there and just keep whistling at intervals so they get used to coming back to you.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 08:30:42 PM »
I use the whistle, I thinks it's great. We also use it when hunting.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 10:36:22 PM »
We were given sheets about whistle training at puppy classes last week.
The trainer is going to talk about it this week and start any of us off with whistles if we want to try it.
I certainly am going to give it a go, it sounds great :D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 11:29:31 PM »
I use one too, and started exactly the same way as already described using treats around the house, and also when the food bowls went down.

It works especially well with Otis  8)  who is busy off here, there and everywhere saying hello  :roll:  :D

Wouldn't be without one now  :D                    

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 12:41:26 AM »
I hadnr ever thought about it before but then seen a couple using one in the park with their two young labs. And since im getting fed up with people laughing at my shouting and running about trying to get Jarvis too come back and him just slinging me a deafie i'll be trying it out too.

Im sure the one the couple were using a dog whistle ??? Is this a bit dim or does any kind of whistle do??

Thanks

Lorraine and Jarvis  :roll:                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 08:15:57 AM »
I use the whistle too, as Katina also for gundogwork.                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline PennyB

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 09:03:16 AM »
I use the Acme whistles, which you can buy online from someone like this or from any gunshop (I have it round my neck as well so you don't lose it in your pocket while you're out):

http://www.smithscountrypursuits.co.uk/pag...dogwhistles.htm

Mine's the 210 1/2 one                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 09:21:13 AM »
Am in the process of training the whistle - I want a very reliable recall at home and in garden though before using it with varying distractions outside  - especially as Brogan has reached the cloth ears stage he's gone deaf in his old age - 1st birthday in 2 weeks.  Shouting Bailey come here has improved Brogans recall though :lol:  Nosey boy!!  I have used it on walks before but can't always be 100% he will respond - would hate him to learn to ignore it at this stage.

Am also teaching a short peep for sit and a long peep for down.  Do I use a different peep length/combination for Bailey or use the same as Brogan?  Not sure how I am going to do that one - any advice anyone?

I can also whistle with my fingers which is very ladylike  :shock:  :lol: There is a whistle I use when I am running over to sort the kids out or am off in the other direction - look here - I'm off without you and I am not waiting!!    That one works well - haven't left him behind yet anyway!      I use very strong bags out walking now as well!! :shock:  :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline PennyB

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 09:45:20 AM »
Yes, walking/running in the opposite direction often works for the deafest of dogs LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park

scoobie

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 10:10:20 AM »
Hi Penny very interested in this whistle training I bought one of those all in one clicker whistles which worked in the house but not outside just fell on deaf ears :? does it make a difference with the whistle you use and how long you blow it I know it sounds daft but want to get it right ...would appreciate more tips thanks
Edith                    

Offline PennyB

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 11:50:22 AM »
I got this type because of the pitch and it can be heard over distance, and this one was recommended by someone who trains spaniels. You can do fancy stuff like short and long blasts etc. The main thing is choose something and be consistent unless you want train you dog to do field work or shooting and then different pitches/blasts mean different things.

Also as it was a proper gundog whistle I didn't feel such a prat using it seeing as I had pretend gundogs! LOL

Wilf has been trained to recall using it and would turn immediately and come back as if the thing was attached to him; however since he's hit his teens I have to use a variety of different ways as this is the time they are at their most deaf. My trainer also taught me when I was out to whistle and then as they come towards you walk backwards so they don't get complacent on the final run in I guess.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »
Great posting, I have been thinking of introducing the whistle to recall Neo, as he's very nose to ground the open arm signal I use often doesn't get seen, and I like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not just ignoring my shouts (he often looks suprised that I'm calling him when he does look up, either that or he's a great actor  :lol: )

I'm glad that there are so many positive results.. I was going to get a crosskeys 'WhizzClick' all in one Whistle/Clicker so I could click and reward at the same time, anyone used one and does it work?                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)