Author Topic: Anyone use a whistle ?  (Read 2347 times)

scoobie

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 03:42:34 PM »
Hi Taniac I have got the clicker/whistle  from crosskeys and didn't find it that good..thought I was doing something wrong :?: but think I will go for the whistle Penny and others have suggested they don't cost a fortune :wink:
Edith                    

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 04:19:37 PM »
I am still practising with the whistle and getting good results.

A friend bought it for me in Pets at Home and I think it was about £1.80 - it has an adjustment for different tones.  

Give it a go - its much better than screeching their names !                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Roba

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 10:55:32 PM »
I use a whistle for Cassie and Sky.We started using it when we first brought sky home,we used it when we put there food down,Cassie was 10 months old at this stage so the whistle has been more effective with Sky but it does work well when we are out for either dog.We use the acme gundog whistle with a pitch of 210-1/2 .Sky is very food orientated so training to the whistle was quite easy,Cassie on the other hand will finish sniffing before returning to my side.                    
Paul,Cassie and Sky

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 11:39:23 AM »
I have trained both my dogs to the whistle, but they are working cockers.
You can get different tone whistles and each dog has his whistle and can tell them apart. If your dog likes high pitched sounds go for the higher tones. If you wear it on a lanyard round your neck it is easier and can be used quickly. Repeated pips are usually used for the recall, it can take some practise to get this right!. I have not trained a non working dog to the whistle, but I think that with a Cocker it would work if you introduce  them to the whistle at an early age
p.s I never use treats to train a dog.                    
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline PennyB

Anyone use a whistle ?
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 12:16:41 PM »
p.s I never use treats to train a dog.

I still do but now make them work harder for them!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!