Author Topic: Strange Behaviour  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:37:49 AM »
It's ten past four in the morning and TIlly has finally dropped off to sleep (but for how long? :shock: )  She has been behaving so strangely all night.  Usually she trots into her crate and sleeps all night without a sound.  Tonight she won't stop crying :( .  I have checked her all over and nothing seems to be hurting her, she does not appear to be unwell.  She has been in the garden three times, so it's not a toileting problem.  But still she starts to whimper the moment I leave her.  It's almost as though she is suffering from severe separation anxiety (she is 15 months now and has never suffered from this in the past).

I am giving her little interaction as I don't want her to think causing me to stay up all night with her is "fun" , but am I being mean to her as I don't know if she is unwell?  She is staying in her crate and I am in the same room, but ignoring her.  She seems happy to stop crying and sleep a little if I am in the room with her.  I can't go back to bed and ignore her crying as I have a family and neighbours who need their sleep.  Has anyone experienced anything like this with their cocker? And if so, what's the best way to respond?

The only thing that's been different about today is that I wormed her at about 4pm (usual wormer, no problems in the past).

Help!  Any ideas, anyone?  I can't face another night like this one.   I would be so grateful for any advice.

Sue                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 07:54:28 AM »
It could be the wormer that's upset her - but it could also be the weather. Were you on the cusp of the thunder stormy type weather. I know we've had very heavy thick storm clouds - the change in air can upset some dogs - they sense thunder and the electricity it seems long before we do.

Storms never bother my boys a jot - but others dogs really don't like them. It's just a thought.

How is she this morning?                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:33:27 AM »
Hi Pammy,

Thanks for your reply - interesting point about the weather, I hadn't thought of that.  We did have some heavy downpurs yesterday, but the weather has never seemed to upset her before.  She did seem quite agitated when she went outside - lots of trotting round the garden and sniffing the air - you could be on to something.  It really was odd and out of character for her to make such a fuss - the curious incident of the dog in the night!  It even crossed my mind that she might be trying to tell me something - like I'd left the gas on the cooker or something (I hadn't :roll: )

This morning she is her usual cheerful, lively self :D .  I am the one who is a wreck :(   She is off to play with her friends the Giant Schnauzer and the Labradoodle, so they should sort her out!  I'm anticipating great tiredness (on both sides!) tonight.

I hope she has a better night tonight  :twisted: .

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Sue                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:42:58 AM »
Sue - from what you've said - I think it could be something like the weather then. You'll have to watch for the next time you get similar weather to see how she behaves :D  Odd how it's us that ends up kn*ckered tho isn't it :lol:

Curious Incident etc etc - brill book isn't it? My son has Asperger's such an enlightening read - I've made lots of other people read it too - and said - "See - that's what it's like" :lol:  :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:23:43 PM »
Jimmy has twice had a really extreme reaction to Panacur wormer. I had to get an emergency vet out in the middle of the night once, he was demented for about 12 hours. Although most dogs seem fine on this wormer many others aren't. Was it panacur you used maybe ?

PS Another fan of the "Curious Dog" book here. :D                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 05:30:04 PM »
Panacur also brought out hyper behaviour in Meg when she was given it as a puppy. I gave it to her a second time to see if it was just a coincidence and the same thing happened again.
I have used Drontal ever since with no adverse effects.
Maybe using a different wormer next time might be your answer :?:                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:40:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  The wormer was Drontal - but maybe it could have have contributed to her strange behaviour as last time she had it she was very sick.  I put it down to one of those things at the time, but now I wonder....?

She has spent all day playing with three huge dogs and is now curled up asleep (it's alright for some!)  We have Obedience Class tonight (I will be the one snoring in the corner of the class, it's a good job Emily does the handling!!) so I think she will be completely zonked out tonight.

Yes, I think The Curious Incident is a brilliant book too.  Like you Pammy, I have been recommending it to everyone.  I found it really insightful and it made me very aware of the reaction I would previously have had if witnessing the behaviours described in the book - now that makes me feel ashamed :oops: .  

Hoping for no more Curious Incidents tonight!

Sue and zzzz from Tills                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Strange Behaviour
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 12:07:18 PM »
Thanks to everyone who helped me on this one.  I am pleased to report we had no more curious incidents last night - Tilly was as good as gold.  I think it was either the wormer or the weather and maybe both!  I will be more prepared next time I worm her.

I really appreciated everyone's thoughts - coherent thinking is difficult at 4am!

Sue and a back in the good books Tilly :D