Author Topic: I need some guidance  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« on: August 05, 2004, 08:46:45 PM »
Hi everyone: I need the benefit of your experience please.

We've had Rufus almost three weeks now (he's nearly 11 weeks old now) - and I've been trying to crate train him, and I think we're starting to make progress -  :) .

On Monday I need to go to work for 4 hrs, so I have to leave him, problem being I left him today for about 15 - 20 mins and my neighbour said he went nuts - howling his little head off.

He's not alone, as Vahri is there although she's out and about in the house and he's penned in his crate.

What can I do between now and Monday to ease the strain for him?  :?                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
I need some guidance
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 08:57:36 PM »
I think that 11 weeks is too young for him to left for that amount of time in a crate.
Can you not make a larger pen with toys & drink/food etc.
Try leaving a radio on for him.
Is there no-one who can come in & spend some time with him ?                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:01:08 PM »
That's what I kind of feared - I usually leave the TV on for the dogs when I go out, because it's usually on anyway.

I thought the crate might give him security. It's huge - he can get up and walk around in it.

My worry is if he went nuts at 20 mins what's he going to be like on monday  :cry:                    

Sue H

I need some guidance
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:30:42 PM »
Your little one should have got used to you leaving the room for extendingly long periods, and if there is any anxiety, you need to start again.  Don't advertise the fact that you are going out - try just leaving the room and sneaking around to watch - don't put your shoes/coat/bag on and say 'I'm off now' - rather, leave them with something interesting and just GO !  Try putting shoes/coat etc on and off just to let them know this does not mean I am kleaving you!

Separation anxiety is common, so you need to make them associate your return with something nice, not your leaving with something stressful.  Give treats when you return, and make sure that you take them out straight away to wee or whatever ...  Make a big fuss and praise if they are clean, but don't worry if they aren't - it will come, but NOT through a teling-off! Do it in small increments, and get your puppy used to being left so that it knows you WILL RETURN !

Good luck!!

Sue H                    

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 09:36:39 AM »
Started this morning, by putting him in his crate and leaving the room.

He started howling the min I left the room  :( , what should I do?

I'm worried if I go back he'll learn to howl for my attention - how do I get him to be quiet even for 2 mins?

I plan to work on this over the next couple of days. I'm just going to come home on Monday to check on him a couple of times.

Tell me the truth am I expecting too much?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:43:44 AM »
It's really hard work at first, I sympathise. My boy, Indie, used to poo in his crate and get into a right state whenever we left him, but I can say with total certainty, the only thing that made it better was leaving him more.

I don't know if you are doing what I did, but I was there ALL the time, and never left him on his own at all really. It sounds weird but it's even more difficult for them if you are there so much then not.

4 hours is a long time, I'd say he's too wee to cope with that - my ten month old can only now cope with 4 hrs at a time.
Persevere, he'll get better I promise, it's like training toddlers, just hard slog.

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 10:18:25 AM »
That's the mistake I made with Vahri, I was home with her until she was 11 months old, and leaving her was terrible, so with Rufus I vowed I'd do things differently - but I still feel bad!!

I'll practise today and see how we get on.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it  :)                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
I need some guidance
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 10:55:55 AM »
I sympathise with you.

I knew I was going to have to leave Alfie for one hour the second week he was home so after a few days setteling in I started to put him in his crate while I went upstairs to shower and dress. The first day I ended up giving in halfway through my shower and going down to get him :( The following day I stuck it out till I had my shower, by the third day he had gone quiet by the end of my shower and after about a week, he would settle after about 2 mins of screaming and fall asleep :)

Now he settles quite quickly (with the help of a sprinkle of kibble amongst his bedding and a chew) and I can leave him now for a good hour twice a day. Even if Im not going out of the house I go into another room or upstairs.

I do try to work it out so he has had a good play and been fed and toileted before i go and as soon as I come in, its straight out the back door again just in case :)

Caroline + Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline taniac

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 03:09:26 PM »
I have a crate for Jovi but only crate him over night, as we're out too long during the day and I'd rather clean up a puddle then confine him.  We did find that if Neo our 2 year old moved out of his eye-sight when he was in the crate then he would start creating.  

We moved Jovi's crate so he could see Neo wherever he is in the kitchen as they are both restricted to the kitchen if we're not there to supervise.

Would it be possible to contain both the dogs together so he has the other dog for company?  Not in a crate but in the kitchen or similar room, as this might help.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline PennyB

I need some guidance
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 03:39:57 PM »
Would it be possible to contain both the dogs together so he has the other dog for company?  Not in a crate but in the kitchen or similar room, as this might help.

The only problem here is whether you would feel safe leaving an older dog and young pup on their own together.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
I need some guidance
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 03:51:35 PM »
I would worry he'd annoy Vahri too much if I was out and they were on their own - he pushes his luck as it is, :roll: .

Once or twice I've had to step in and calm the situation, Vahri is laid back for a Spaniel and she likes things nice and peaceful. Where as Rufus likes things pretty wild.

Turns out Pete (Daddy) is off now until Wednesday and he's on back shift next week too, so he'll be going as I'm coming in!!

Rufus will still have to learn just the same.                    

Offline PennyB

I need some guidance
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 05:38:09 PM »
I would worry he'd annoy Vahri too much if I was out and they were on their own - he pushes his luck as it is, :roll: .  

Once or twice I've had to step in and calm the situation, Vahri is laid back for a Spaniel and she likes things nice and peaceful. Where as Rufus likes things pretty wild.  

Turns out Pete (Daddy) is off now until Wednesday and he's on back shift next week too, so he'll be going as I'm coming in!!

Rufus will still have to learn just the same.

Which is what I thought. I felt the same when Wilf was tiny as he was 'demonizing' Ruby (trying to drag her round by her ears with his needlesharp teeth) and knew he was safer in his crate and Ruby less likely to accidentally hurt him                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!