Author Topic: Crying every night  (Read 4520 times)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
Re: Crying every night
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
We had this with Diesel, Even though the OH is stricter with diesel im the strict one with his routine - When we got diesel and put him to bed he would whine, and howl on the first night - OH wanted to put him in our room to settle him - Nope no way - started as i meant to go on - I sat at bottom of stairs gave it 20 mins and then he settled - Now Diesel wont even settle in our bed he cries at the door to get to his own bed in the kitchen.
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
I used a canine lullabies CD with Wallace, that worked for me.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
I used a canine lullabies CD with Wallace, that worked for me.

Ooooo where can I get one lol it would be a last resort before moving her bed into our room. I really do think it's because she wants to be in bed with us.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
I haven't read all of the comments/suggestions so hope I'm not repeating someone else's idea but what about putting something of yours (old pair of jeans/tshirt/whatever) in her bed with her at bedtime? It worked for Clover when she first came to us. Might be worth a try?  :-\
To know them is to love them.....

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
I haven't read all of the comments/suggestions so hope I'm not repeating someone else's idea but what about putting something of yours (old pair of jeans/tshirt/whatever) in her bed with her at bedtime? It worked for Clover when she first came to us. Might be worth a try?  :-\

No one has suggested it Snoo and it's a good idea butttttttt she'd eat them lol
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »

No one has suggested it Snoo and it's a good idea butttttttt she'd eat them lol

Ah, that could be a problem.....  ;)
To know them is to love them.....

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »
We brought Penny home and she slept though the night in her bed inside puppy pen until 13 weeks when
 she cried as we went to bed and OH said she can come up with she would be coming any way. Sleeps all night on mine mostly on our heads and and she just lies there,  is terrible to get up in the morning even when Oh gets up for Lois and its the bed to the top of the stairs and he comes back for her
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline StephanieRouse58

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »
My problem is that our working cocker Wilfie SUDDENLY developed this night time neurosis at the age of 3!  He runs and hides the minute we try to put him to bed - he has the run of the kitchen and utlility room, his own armchair in the kitchen, crate in the utility room, cushions, blankets, toys, an old denim jacket of mine .....

We tried everything - if he sleeps with us he paws at our heads and wakes us, burrows under the duvet, just will not settle.  We let him have the run of the house and he chewed the coats hanging in the hall including my Boden mac and my husbands crombie overcoat so that was a very expensive mistake.  Now he is back in the kitchen he is chewing his way through the turtle mats peice by peice.  The last 3 nights has had us up most of the night crying and banging at the kitchen door.  We tried Bachs Rescue remedy at the suggestion of a neighbour - that didn't work either.  I am at the end of my tether and thinking of changing his name from Wilfred to Wilfull. 

Would really appreciate any thoughts or ideas....

Offline jessandme

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Perhaps a checkup at the vet might be an idea?  If they are unwell then that can trigger a change in behaviour.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
Jess chewed all the furniture in the kitchen and destroyed countless Jonny's beds ( not hers of course!). We bought a crate when she was about five as I'd not seen them before, but an American friend told me about them, put her in it at night and bingo - she settled quite happily and loved her crate ever after and no more chewed stuff. Wish we'd done it years ago. Needless to say, Penny has been crated from the beginning.

What I'm saying is, it's not to late to start with a crate if you introduce it gradually and carefully as if he was a puppy.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
My problem is that our working cocker Wilfie SUDDENLY developed this night time neurosis at the age of 3!  He runs and hides the minute we try to put him to bed - he has the run of the kitchen and utlility room, his own armchair in the kitchen, crate in the utility room, cushions, blankets, toys, an old denim jacket of mine .....

We tried everything - if he sleeps with us he paws at our heads and wakes us, burrows under the duvet, just will not settle.  We let him have the run of the house and he chewed the coats hanging in the hall including my Boden mac and my husbands crombie overcoat so that was a very expensive mistake.  Now he is back in the kitchen he is chewing his way through the turtle mats peice by peice.  The last 3 nights has had us up most of the night crying and banging at the kitchen door.  We tried Bachs Rescue remedy at the suggestion of a neighbour - that didn't work either.  I am at the end of my tether and thinking of changing his name from Wilfred to Wilfull. 

Would really appreciate any thoughts or ideas....

I'd get him checked over by the vet

Millie

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »
I now tuck darcey in at night and she sleeps through! Lol she's an old lady she needs her sleep and so do I lol good luck with wilfie.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy