Author Topic: Discharge from nose  (Read 4998 times)

Offline bondie

• Site Member
Discharge from nose
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
James is now 11, and has a yellow/green discharge from his left nostril. He had a kennel cough vaccine in that nostril at the end of April. He's been to the vet and had a course of antibiotics but the discharge is still there. Now I'm worried. I've booked another vet appointment and wondered if any of you wise people out there have experienced anything like this, and have any advice to offer. He seems lively and cheerful in himself, but does sleep very soundly!!

Offline Liz F

• Donator
Re: Discharge from nose
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:44 PM »
Sorry don't have any experience of discharge but sure someone will be along soon who can give you some advice.

Didn't James have an operation on his mouth a few months ago, could this be connected ?

I would do as you have and take him back to your vet, hope James is better soon  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
They may need to take a culture of it to figure out what it is if the current antibiotics aren't helping.  It could be a bad allergy so maybe some anti-histimines could help to stop the congestion?

Hope the vet has the solution  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies. We've now got some more, and stronger antibiotics (RONAXAN) but as yet there's been no improvement. The vet says the next step is a GA and a flush through the nose if there's no improvement  at the end of the course of tabs. At least the sneezing has stopped! These dogs do like to worry us..........!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
Am assuming he isn't coughing as well as despite having had KC vax he can still get it (an ex foster of mine had terrible KC, which was mostly a yellow snotty discharge that took forever to clear up) or there's the possibility of a grass seed or something inhaled up his nose

Flushing out shouldn't take long - Stella had to have her nose flushed out last year (she kept having fits of sneezing)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
James had an op (and x-rays) yesterday to check for tumors/ foreign bodies and to flush out his nose. The vet showed me and explained the x-rays and all seems to be well from that respect. Now we're just waiting for the results of the cultures..........
I've now got a sleepy but happy cocker with a dry nose and a sleepy and happy owner!  - Didn't sleep very well as worried about the 3rd GA in 6 months......... Thanks for your supportive ideas and comments.  - you folks on this forum are so kind..... :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
 :bigarmhug:  Poor James, and poor you.  Positive thoughts for the results, and I am glad he has that bit past him. 

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »
Well, we're a month on from the op, and I had hopes that the nose problem was behind us. The culture showed 2 nasty bugs, but the vet flushed everything out and everything seemed fine. Now it's started again, - and yet more antibiotics!!! If these don't work, we could be facing a scan to see if anything is lurking/growing higher up the nasal area, but at least James is starting to put weight on again. Who ever heard of struggling to put weight ON a spaniel???!!  Need your good thoughts that these tablets solve the problem and that there's not anything  unpleasant growing in inaccessible places.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
Oh dear, sending James a  :bigarmhug:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
Just a positive update on James and his nose! After the last lot of antibiotics in July, the discharge from his nose gradually started to get better - yeh! It has now gone away and I hope that things stay that way! It's taken 7 months, so the moral is ,' don't give up!' Problem is, the vet and I still don't really know what the problem was.... but all seems well now. Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
Thanks for the update. I bet James is as relieved as you that his nose is back to normal now :D

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
Great news  :luv: thanks for the update about James, I was wondering how he was getting on

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Good news indeed, normal sniffing duties resumed  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Just a positive update on James and his nose! After the last lot of antibiotics in July, the discharge from his nose gradually started to get better - yeh! It has now gone away and I hope that things stay that way! It's taken 7 months, so the moral is ,' don't give up!' Problem is, the vet and I still don't really know what the problem was.... but all seems well now. Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.

Think this is it really as like medicine its not an exact science plus I do wonder if the oldies do sometimes take longer to recover or even heal up. So pleased its worked now
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 08:45:56 PM »
Sorry to whittle on about my dog's nose...... after a few months of being completely free from nasal discharge, James had to have a kennel cough vaccination again, and guess what, once again we have a discharge from the nose, although it's not green & yellow!! The vet still denies that it's anything to do with the vaccine, but I do wonder????? Anyway, I'm not too worried, and neither is James - I just wipe his nose for him at regular intervals!!!! Has anyone else had this type of problem?