Author Topic: Blood in Stools  (Read 4550 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Blood in Stools
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:17:44 AM »
I took Jazz to the vet about six weeks ago with a list, among which was that on about three occasions very recently there had been some blood in his motion.  The vet asked for a full description and he said is it like the stripe on toothpaste, which was a very good description.  After a rectal examination, which Mr Jazz was most unhappy about, he said all was fine and the problem was colitis.   He gave Jazz an antibiotic injection and a short course of steroids.  No problems since.  Then yesterday Jazz had a massive outpouring, all very normal in consistency, but there was some wet red blood in part of his motion.  (sorry for the graphic description).  Jazz has a follow up appointment with the vet on Monday morning about his eyes but I am now worried to death about my boy.  I know some members have experience of cancer in the bowel with their beloved cockers.  Can anyone advise if I am jumping to the wrong conclusions.  I am frantic, I lost my husband nearly five months ago and my boy is the centre of my universe.  He is ten now and obviously slowing down a little but seems completely his normal self otherwise. 

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Blood in Stools
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:41 AM »
I have not had this problem with a cocker but I had a problem with a Jack Russell and it turned out to be a twisted bowel which was corrected after surgery, however, it did re-occur.

All I can do is offer my support for you via this thread and hope that it is a simple problem, it is hopefully just the colitis back which can be horrible for the dog but not as bad as you are thinking.

Stay calm and keep a diary of all events including intake and what is passed this will help the vet. Watch every stool passed and see if the blood is more or less that is really all I can offer.  Mark

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
Sorry to hear this Andrea, it's human nature to fear the worst but I do hope Tom can give you re-assurance that things are ok.

You could ask for a call back from Tom to speak to him about it, this is something I have done on several occasions, three days is along time for you to be so worried.

M.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
I would pop him back to the vets today if at all possible , personally I would also ask for bloods to be taken, could you bag some up and ask the vet to have a look  . juliexx
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
Thanks for all your very good advice.  I now realise I have posted this topic in completely the wrong place, in error.  It should be in "Health".  It was very early when I posted and I was feeling somewhat anxious.  Could someone move this for me please.  Sorry !

There is no point in trying to get an earlier appointment with Tom, its like getting an appointment with God.  He is so busy.  Thanks for your advice Maurice, that might allay my concerns a little. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:42:24 AM »
No advice to offer, but just to say I hope your little man is feeling better soon, and the vet can find out what is wrong and get him better.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »
So sorry to heat this, you must be worried sick. If Jazz is insured, does the company have aphone helpline?

:bigarmhug:
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
Hope you have managed to speak to someone today to put your mind at rest.  It is perfectly natural for you to be, shall we say, a little over anxious, after the time you have had recently  :-\

However, I have always understood that bright red blood is less of a concern as it is usually the result of a tear or something like a recurrence of his colitis.  It is dark blood that is more worrying.

I am sure it is nothing to worry about and hopefully your vet can reassure you when you see him.

Julie and Watson

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
However, I have always understood that bright red blood is less of a concern as it is usually the result of a tear or something like a recurrence of his colitis.  It is dark blood that is more worrying.

That is what I was always told too (even though its always best to get checked)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »

That is what I was always told too (even though its always best to get checked)

In humans, (so Imagine the same for dogs)   Dark or brownish is digested, so from higher up the digestive tract, but bright red is local, near the end, nearer to the anus.     
It's Monday tomorrow so you will be able to get to someone to see him.
Wishing you good news.   Julie.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:16 PM »
UPDATE

I took Jazz to see Tom, the vet today, and after quite a lengthy examination of his rear I am delighted to say there is nothing untoward.  Tom is convinced it is colitis.  He confirmed what a few of you have said, if there were reasons to be concerned the blood would be much darker.  There hasn't been a further occurrence for 4-5 days now, all production is completely normal.  Needless to say I am one very relieved and happy cocker owner.  These doggies are such a worry aren't they. 

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
glad all okay  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
Good news.