Author Topic: emotional rollercoaster  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
emotional rollercoaster
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
Its no wonder I am going grey!
Poor old Ben's back went into spasm last night again, the first time for nearly a year. He was so distressed  :'( his back legs had gone he couldn't stand.  Our vet had advised before that if it happens load him with Loxicom which I keep in for such an emergency and wait and see as there is not a lot they can do other than another pain relief injection, but going to the vets distresses him so much and he shakes so violently that they said the trauma of brining him whilst in spasm might make things worse.
We cuddled him and wrapped him in warm blankets, then carried him up to bed. He was to distressed to drink and wasn't bothered about his bedtime biscuit, and for the first time I really thought we were going to lose him he was so wobbly and frail, it was just horrible to see.

He slept through the night ok and woke up at 6.30 for a wee.  We carried him down the stairs to the garden and blow me he started running round like a loony. Trying to stop him bouncing was really difficult. The relief was overwhelming and just we were amazed at seeing him wagging his tail as if he didn't have a care in the world  :D

Emotional rollercoaster doesn't come near how it feels, it was so frightening and I feel so lucky he has bounced back (literally) they do put you through the  wringer these cockers  :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: emotional rollercoaster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
o'h poor you, well and poor Ben too, ofcourse! That must have been awfully frightening! Sooooo glad he's ok this morning! Any idea what causes it or is it just like when our backs just "go"? (In which case, I'm not surprised the poor little chap's distressed!)
Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and hoping it doesn't happen again!  :luv:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Any idea what causes it or is it just like when our backs just "go"?

The vet is not sure what causes it, when it first started happening he had lots of investigations but they couldn't find anything specific like discs/spine etc. and they ruled our neurological problems as he was fine when tested.  Because he has always been fine fairly soon after and pain free they think its muscular and he has been better since going on Yumove. The vet said it is possible that he pain is really bad when it happens but the nerve receptors are different to ours and it is quite possible to become pain free very quickly rather than gradually get better like we would.

We have never seen it like last night though where he has gone off his legs completely, he couldn't stand. I am hoping its just a blip and not a sign of  things to come.   

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
What a night. I know how frightening it must have been :bigarmhug: and I'm glad that Ben is his normal self today. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again xx

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
You love them so much it is heartbreaking to see them in pain and discomfort.

Fingers crossed that Ben is fine from now on.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »
How frightening for you and poor Ben :o  :016: I hope he does not have another episode. sending  :luv: :luv: and  :bigarmhug: to you and Ben
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
So pleased Ben recovered so quickly and hope with all my heart that it doesn't happen again.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
I felt sick reading that and then had a good giggle when I read that he was bombing about the garden this morning.  You poor soul, what a night you had.  Hope all stays on an even keel now.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 12:15:08 AM »
phew  :luv: :luv: :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »
gosh, what a worry, I am sure you are very tired today, hope it is calmer. Glad Ben is so much better x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
this is the trouble when they get older as you worry it might be it or the worst thing then they bounce back - thank goodness
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Poor Ben and you. So glad he was up and running again so soon xxx

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
Glad Ben is better, they are a worry arent they?

Is it a type of muscle cramp the same as humans get?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »

Is it a type of muscle cramp the same as humans get?

that's sort of how the vet described it as a spasm which is very painful for a couple of hours, but gradually eases and then disappears. 

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 09:36:59 PM »
Thanks for all the good wishes for Ben, it has been a worrying few days. He has bounced back very quickly from the pain, but it has left him a little more wobbly on his legs.  He swings between running round like a loon and bouncing off the walls  :blink: and standing staring at nothing in particular and not quite with it  :'(

This old age lark is rubbish  :-\