Author Topic: Is there such a muzzle?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline rubyduby

Is there such a muzzle?
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
My young Cocker girl is 9 months old and seems to have spend most of her life eating rubbish, her biggest delight is consuming horse/sheep/rabbit muck, the first concerns me most as it is frequently full of horse wormer, is there a light weight muzzle available tht would be suitable, the mesh ones seem too tight and the plastic ones are clumsy, wondering if there is something not unlike greyhound muzzles which are lightweight daintyl ones

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Is there such a muzzle?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Branston my youngest cocker has to wear a muzzle for the same reason, he has a Baskerville muzzle size 6, being open weave plastic it mean he can drink, breathe and run in it with no problems at all. It is not particularly clumsy and being a golden colour (only colour they make I think) blends in nicely with his fur.

As I say it is not pretty, but does the job - and much cheaper than the likely vet bills from picking up something dangerous or what we consider undesirable.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-muzzles-c-628_810/baskerville-muzzle-for-dogs-p-506      it's a bit cheaper on Amazon but then you have to spend £20 to get free delivery
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
Rosie ate everything...horse poo, bunny currants cat poo etc..we live near Mevagissey a Cornish fishing village  so fish, chips, pasties were a nightmare...and We did think a muzzle was the only way but perservered with training..think She must have thought Her name was ‘leave’ at one time...but We kept at it, looking ahead at what was on the ground with a handful of highly desirable treats available.Rosie was a nightmare for a while and amazingly what ever She ate, and somethings were horrific, none ever made Her ill, slowly we made progress...she is nearly 4 now and we still have to watch Her and a walk around Mevagissey with chips etc all over the floor is still a nightmare , but ‘leave’ has an almost immediate result which us just as well as She will eat most things but She has become a liitle more selective.when She was young We met a lady with a Spaniel that was wearing a muzzle...this dog was 10 years old and wore a muzzle because it ate every thing....Wehad visions of Rosie being the same so decided We would at least give training a realky goid try and We are so glad we persevered.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
my concern apart from muck is the fact that a dog has died recently from eating cannabis in the park, also horse muck will have the autumn horse wormer in, we also have fungi and conker season on top of us , Amber seems to enjoy grabbing anything to get a reaction from us and something tells me she will take some training and I daren't risk her having problems thro her eating before training kicks in