Author Topic: Pulling on the lead...!  (Read 7420 times)

Offline viv

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« on: January 14, 2003, 04:43:26 PM »
I should think everyone has had the same problem but my arms can't take much more of the pulling.
I have been trying to get William to walk to heel...(there are no training classes round my way)
but he still doesn't get it.  I have him on a short lead so he is walking right next to me and always on the right side, which seems to be where he prefers to be, I start to walk and if he pulls i tug the lead back saying HEEL at the same time.  Is this right :-
Willy is on a half choker because i cant get a Halti (spelt right i think) to fit him...the small is too small the medium is too big.  Any other suggestions would help my arms although looking at them in the mirror i have noticed i'm turning into a russian arm wrestler...
 ;D
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 05:43:17 PM »
Hi Viv

You're not alone - this seems to be a Cocker trait, they are always in a hurry to get where they are going ;D I'm afraid tugging on the lead when William pulls isn't going to be very productive - have a try at some of the methods explained on this thread from another board :http://www.champdogs.co.uk/board/topic/2407.html I have found the constantly changing direction method works very well if you are persistent (& don't mind the funny looks you might get :)) There are also various other head collars besides the Halti on the market - many people prefer the Gentle Leader so this might also be worth investigating (http://www.gentleleader.f9.co.uk/intro.htm)                    
Jane

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 01:48:55 PM »
Poppy pulls like a train on the way to the park and I've resorted to carrying a tennis ball in my free hand, holding my arm out slightly so she can see it. When I do this she trots along beside me totally fixated on her ball.

Then she gets to fetch her ball a few times in the park before she gets bored and finds someting interesting to sniff. This has been working for a couple of months now and my arms are feeling the benefit  :)                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 02:13:04 PM »
We have had the same problems with Phoebe but she is getting better.

At the puppy class I go to, they use the changing direction method as well.

They also teach us to hold the lead in the left hand with the dog on the right.

Call the dog and give it a treat when you have its attention. Start to walk with a treat on the dog nose (held in your hand of course - they can't balance very well when they're little ::)).

Give the treat after a few steps. Gradually build up until you can do 10 steps woithout the treat right on the nose and then give the reward. This is working with Phoebe but I think she will take a bit of time.

Hope this helps!!!                    
Anita

Anonymous

Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 03:43:25 PM »
in my class they teach holding lead in right hand dog on left pulling back if needed with left hand...  but it seems that all classes are different                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 11:04:58 PM »
This is what the trainer in my class does too.  All the while shouting 'the lead should be loose unless your checking the dog'  ;D  What I want to know is how can you walk with a loose lead when the dog is constantly pulling  ???  Needless to say poor Morgan was on a tight rein for the full hour and a half  :-[                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline viv

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 11:22:08 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
William is on a tight lead the whole time as well, i tried the changing direction today and also standing still when he pulled...which was every few seconds...it was tipping it down and we both got soaked to the skin, William also gave me the evil eye :'( cause all he wanted to do was go home to a dry house....think this might take some time :-
Viv                    

Offline ladywales

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 11:56:59 AM »
Yes I have one that pulls like mad too!! ::)

I try and have the lead in my right hand with Bobby on the left and my left hand also holding the lead keeping him fairly close to me.  Seems to work for a while until he suddenly catches me unaware and decides he wants to walk on the opposite side!!  :- Which means I nearly trip over him!! >:(

On the way back from his walk he seems to have simmered down a little and can sometimes walk like an angel - looking back at me as if to say 'Are we nearly home?'   ;D                    
Tracy x

Offline viv

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 04:13:34 PM »
The amount of times i have trodden on Williams feet while trying to get him to walk  :D fairly :D near to me is too horrible to count...poor little boy.
Still doesn't stop him trying to weave his way across my path on the trail of a good smell.
I did the direction change thing today and it confused him...which i think it's supposed to do, but he is so hyper at the start of the walk that he didn't care where he was going as long as he was out.

Another thing i have noticed is that he remembers really quick the routes we take to the beach or woods and pulls like crazy so i have started to go different ways which confuses him again.
Viv                    

Anonymous

Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 05:12:00 PM »
yes I find Jessie remembers her walk routes...so I change them aswell..although I dont walk her for too long cos I was told its too much or them at 5 months...we do about 1/2 hour with stopping for peoples awwwww's in between..is that ok??  or can I increase it?? she would love to..but i was woried about hurting her legs..                    

Offline viv

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 08:24:16 AM »
Just got a Halti...that fits William...and the thing is a wonder.

William sat down and refused to walk at all so i put his lead back on his collar for a few mins, then swapped back to the halti and he walk fab...bit skittish, rubbed his face a few times, but loads of praise from me and liver treats (what a wonder they are ;D) and we were off with the famous loose lead!!!

Fingers X for the walk today
Viv                    

Anonymous

Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 09:26:10 PM »
I have not been to any classes or used a halti. For my two all i have done is basic lead in left havnd accros the body dog on the right hand side and to start walking round the garden teaching to walk at heal then working that up to walking round the estate at night so there is as little distraction as possible. My two are fantastic, and dont get frustrated it can take a while but trust me it is worth it in the long run.  My 2 year old can even hold the lead!!

Good luck for future walks!!    :-*
Nicky D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 11:36:46 PM »
:)Hope you don't mind me jumping in on someone elses thread but I have a question about the different types of leads/collars etc.  If you train a dog using a Halti, will the dog always need it for walking on a loose lead or can you change to a normal collar when the dog is trained?

I was fed up with Morgan pulling and saw someone with an elasticated type of harness and asked my vet about them.  He warned me off buying one, saying that I'd be 'making a rod for my own back' - that Morgan would have freedom to pull in comfort and he'd never learn to walk properly  :-.  I know that different things work for different people and that these things must work for some people otherwise they wouldn't be selling.

The instructor at Morgan's training class has recommended using a check chain or a half check collar during the classes for those dogs who do not walk on a loose lead.  If any I'd go for the half check, but am not totally sure if I should try either.   ???

What do you all use for training purposes?  All advice and experiences welcomed! :D

Shirley  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 08:36:28 AM »
Hi Shirley

I switched from a normal collar to a half-check a few months ago (she's now a year old) on the advice of the lady who runs the training class I go to, and I think it's really good. It gives me much more control and it doesn't seem to hurt at all. She told me to use it all the time, not just at training class.

I actually think it's more fair on Poppy to give a light jerk on the lead when it's needed, rather than to be in a constant tug of war and always telling her off for pulling/not behaving properly.

One thing my trainer said was to get either a leather or a canvas one rather that the nylon kind that are really common because she said the nylon can rub on the dog's neck and be painful.

HTH  :)

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline viv

• Site Member
Pulling on the lead...!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 04:25:18 PM »
Shirley,
With the Halti i was told that within a month William should have got the message about pulling and i  ;D should ;D be able to go back to a normal collar.  William doesn't seem to mind it that much and walks have been great.
Only time will tell
Viv