Author Topic: Barking, barking, barking and more barking! Aagh!  (Read 765 times)

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
Barking, barking, barking and more barking! Aagh!
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on barking? Over the winter I limited Ted going into our back garden due to the grass being too wet and muddy etc. Now the weather is a little better I've let him out in the back garden. Well, he just runs out like a bat out of hell and barks and barks and barks. We are surrounded at the back by other gardens and I'm not wanting Ted to be a pain to the neighbours. My next door neighbour has already been out and commented.. Ugh! Not in a bad way but you know I just don't want Ted to get a reputation!

Cats come in our garden, there are 3/4 live over the back. I think Ted has chased them a couple of times. I'm wondering if he associates the back with having to do that and likes the sport of chasing the cats!! But his barking all of the time even when there are no cats in the garden is starting to get out of control. He's been in the garden today for about 1/2 hour and I think he's spent 25 mins running around barking... Sometimes I see the cats sitting on the fence over the back, he can't see them but is able to smell them!

He also sits and barks at the pigeons on the chimney pots too!! 

Do I just let him crack on? Any advice would be good. Not sure which way to go with this xx

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Barking, barking, barking and more barking! Aagh!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
Don't leave him out there barking. I have same issue with cats in my garden - and it winds my dogs up.  If my lot go out and bark I bring them straight in. Unless you can supervise him out there and stop him, then don't let him out until you can. A quick excited bark is ok IMO, 25 mins incessant noise isn't.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
I agree, don't leave him out barking. Try him on lead; he may realise that actually there's nothing worth barking for.  Then gradually let him off lead.  You could also try doing a bit of training/playing outside with him, rather than just letting him out to do his own thing?

My two, particularly Molly, go loopy and bark outside sometimes, and they are brought straight back in.
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
I agree with the above comments. The more you leave him out there barking the more of a habit it will become and retraining him will become more difficult.

Dogs bark for a reason, and it looks like you've already identified that cats may be part of the reason, plus looking at pigeons on chimney tops. My William is a cat chaser, given the chance, and although we don't have many cats nearby at the moment it's been a problem in the past. If Will sees a cat in the garden he'll chase it and bark. Once he's done that he'll be on high alert for a few days and will try running out barking as soon as I open the door. So I put his lead and collar on and quietly lead him out, armed with some treats. I go to the centre of the garden so that he can see there are no cats and once I can see that he's relaxed I quietly give him a couple of treats and let him off lead. I find if I do that a few times after a cat chasing incident he goes back to normal and doesn't bark. I've had to do the same with him after fireworks too.

Can you try the same with Alfie for the time being? Don't let him out on his own or leave him there. Lead him out and give him a bit of time to settle before letting him off lead. Stay with him, maybe play some games (seeking little treats or bits of kibble scattered in the grass is a good one and will help relax him). Supervise him in the garden all the time and if he starts to bark try distracting him with a treat or toy. When he stops barking praise and reward him. Hopefully he will start to be calmer in the garden and you'll soon be able to just let him out without the barking happening :D

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
I agree with the others - Brodie barks a lot, but I never let her bark for any amount of time in the garden (it's one of my pet hates with some of my neighbours :P). A few minutes is fine, but any longer and she gets put in the house. I've done a lot of work with having her on a houseline and distracting her, and having her focus on me instead of what she wants to bark at, but it's slow progress...

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Wmjat

• Teddy Boy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:11:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if I should of left him to get used to the pigeons etc.. That's why I left it today.. He did sit for a bit sniffing the air etc... But then barks out of nowhere.  I won't let him do that then. I'll try the lead thing. Thanks xx