Author Topic: Has anyone used/had feeback about Lynne Davies Dog Training please?  (Read 6520 times)

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
I've got a one-to-one session booked for my two with an instructor at Lynne Davies Dog Training after a recommendation from a fellow dog walker.
However just doing a quick google I'm now having second thoughts  :huh:

My two aren't "problem dogs", they don't have any serious issues at all, I was just hoping to "sharpen them up" with their response to sit, come, stay, etc.. (they're good about 75-80% of the time!), and thought it would be good for all of us to have some group obedience lessons.

However the google results for "lynne davies dog training reviews" are talking about using spray collars and "training discs" http://canineconcepts.co.uk/r-dog-crate-reviews-2331 - look like jingley things you wave at the dog?? (or throw at them judging by the comments!)  >:(

Kiwi and Lilly are typical spaniels and quite sensitive to voice/mood, I definitely don't want to use a spray collar or loud noises at them!

I'll go for the one-to-one as this is already paid for, and will grill the instructor about methods used in group classes, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any dealings directly with this training group please to put my mind at ease?

Thankyou :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Has anyone used/had feeback about Lynne Davies Dog Training please?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
I remember her from when she was one of the 3 trainers used by the BBC in the Dog Borstal TV series several years ago and I'm pretty sure I remember her using water sprays and other aversives. I've just looked at her website and it doesn't give any clue at all to the sort of training methods she uses nowadays, which is a shame, and worries me a bit.

From your previous posts about Kiwi and Lilly they sound like perfectly normal Cockers and, as you say and like most Cockers, quite sensitive. If you're going to have the one to one you've paid for I'd suggest going with an open mind, but also be prepared to stand your ground and get up and leave if she starts using or suggesting any aversive techniques.

Have you looked on the APDT website to see if there are any APDT trainers local to you? They will only use positive methods, no aversives, and I suspect will be better suited for you and your girls.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
Like Elaine I have looked at her website and there is no mention of the training methods she uses  :-\

I would expect a trainer who uses only positive methods and no aversives to make that very clear on their website so I would be very wary of her.  :shades:  I remember her on Dog Borstal too and the methods used by many of the trainers on there were definitely not the modern, positive methods we like to promote on COL.

Have the one-to-one by all means, but if she starts to talk about any aversives like water sprays, spray collars, training discs etc, I would run a mile  ;)  I am sure there are plenty of good trainers near you who only use positive, reward based training.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »
Here's a link to the APDT website http://www.apdt.co.uk/

They have a directory of trainers, so hopefully there will be one local to you if that's what you decide on.

Offline kate2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice, we did go along for the 1-2-1 as we had paid already, but definitely not going to sign up to group lessons!

The first thing they did was put collars on, because they "cant train them in harnesses", and then proceeded to try and teach us how to administer "lead corrections", where we were supposed to walk forwards then turn 180 degrees and yank on the lead before walking in the other direction, I obviously turned 180 degrees and then stopped and waited for kiwi to turn round and catch up before I carried on so the instructor demonstrated by yanking her so hard she almost came off her feet!
I then had an argument with the woman about why she was yanking my dog by the neck when she had done nothing wrong, and particularly when she hadn't even asked or shown kiwi what she wanted her to do instead! grrr ph34r

After my rant we then used treats and voice to get them to turn 180 degrees on the lead, which of course worked first time, then dropped the treats and she's still getting it (durr!) and not being pulled around like a ragdoll

Apparantly the "lead corrections" are taught "in case we need them", and "dogs have very strong necks, its the second largest muscle" (oh and I shouldnt worry if shes on a long line and collar and flips over backwards if she pegs it off chasing a bird, because that's a "correction" and she'll learn and it won't cause any harm at all for her to be flipped over backwards by her neck!!!!)  ph34r >:D >:(

You also teach dogs by telling them the command first and THEN showing them what it means, rather than the way of all the clicker training books of teaching them first then naming it  :huh:

I'm surprised such a big establishment is so outdated in its methods, but it must work for some people!

The final good reason for not paying £110 for 5 lessons, was that the lessons are 12 dogs, some with behavioural issues and the instructor will use the aversive methods its up to you to say that you are not happy with it

Oh at the end of the lesson the dogs are all tied to the fence posts around the field while the owners sit and have a coffee  >:D personally I like my dogs to sit next to me and learn good manners, not sat in a pool of mud tied to a fence!  >:D

rant over :P will check out some APDT trainers or maybe just some gun dog training!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
Blimey !
sounds hiddeous hmm wonder if the" trainer"
would like to be pulled around by her neck >:D
might do her some good!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
Blimey, that sounds worse than I expected it to be  >:(  Poor dogs - why punish them when you have not even shown them what you want them to do??  As for the problem dogs in the classes, sounds like they might have even more problems after they have done the course  :'(

Well done you for having a rant though - hopefully one day everyone will realise that these methods are totally outdated and inappropriate  :-\ Stupid, stupid people  >:(

I am sure you will find someone much better who uses only positive and kind training methods - I have found that positive trainers always make it very clear on their literature/websites that they only use positive methods.   ;)

I cannot understand why anyone would want to use such methods on a dog they purport to love :dunno:  It can only harm the relationship between owner and dog.
Julie and Watson

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
What a horrid woman  >:D >:D so pleased to hear that you had a rant at her :shades: I just hope that the other dog owners come to their senses and find positive reward based trainers ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »
This woman who claims be a trainer is awful - glad you have not signed up for more torment
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
Is there any one this "trainer" can be reported to or is it not something that can be reported ?

To say that dogs necks are very strong is not a reason to yank the lead, I would never do this.

Glad you had a go I just feel sorry for those owners who think that this kind of "training" (cruelty) is how it's done

>:D >:D

Offline lilliegez

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
if you do find a friendly training class in the area please give me a shout im looking too, thanks.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
if you do find a friendly training class in the area please give me a shout im looking too, thanks.

Have you looked on the KC website, under training (KCGC) if you click on your county (and maybe surrounding ones), that would give you a good place to start looking:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/training/good-citizen-dog-training-scheme/information-for-dog-owners/good-citizen-dog-scheme-training-clubs/

or here:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline kate2

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:56:41 AM »
lilliegez we have just signed up with funway dog training after finding them on the APDT site that elaine.e posted the link to (and mudmagnets above) :D they are based in new Bradwell and speaking to the woman on the phone sound much better!! She said no problem with harnesses, and they only use positive methods :) and it says this on the website as well http://www.funwaydogtraining.co.uk, so hopefully will be good, first lesson is tonight I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Offline Rumour

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
wow! how awfully ignorant and out of date was that horrible thuggish "training ???  lesson" good on you for ranting and standing up for your dogs. so glad you have found somewhere with kind fun methods. I dread to think what harm she does..... dogs have strong necks??? pfft! methinks she needs to review her thinking a tad!