Author Topic: Non pull harness walk your dog with love  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Amethyst

• Photo of Etta our Red Cocker Spaniel
Non pull harness walk your dog with love
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:24 PM »
Hi has anyone tried the walk your dog with love harness or is there a similar one a bit cheaper. I thought maybe try a cheaper version 1st see if it works. My spaniel pulls but will suddenly change direction which doesn't do your arm any good. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Non pull harness walk your dog with love
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
Walk your dog with love? The best thing since sliced bread!!! We tried Halti but couldn't get a good fit but the WYDWL is really good, easy to put on and although it doesn't stop pulling altogether, it takes the strain off your arm because they can't pull so hard. I can recommend it!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
Wot bizzylizzy said. It makes lead walking so much easier and is a doddle to put on and take off. Henry still walks ahead on the lead but not enough to actually pull. He occasionally dashes off to the side to investigate something, but that's spaniels for you! I wouldn't be without this harness now.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »
Can recommend this too. Both mine wear one and makes life a lot easier. They are very good to deal with as well....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:56:16 PM »
Amazing harness, highly recommended!!!!

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:45:58 PM »
I also recommend it - my two wear theirs if I'm walking them together. 
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Bluepaula

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
Works brilliant and really easy to get on and off!

Offline Amethyst

• Photo of Etta our Red Cocker Spaniel
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »
Thankyou to everyone for your responses, I have bought the non pull harness & use it with a double ended halti lead, I can't believe the difference, she doesn't pull and walks straight without suddenly diving off to the side. She is a lot more settled with the harness on, would recommend them

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
After reading this thread and a few others- I decided to buy the walk your dog with love harness as my boy has a real tendency to have a complete mind of his own on walks (pretty standard for cockers I believe). The harness arrived yesterday and we had our first walk with it this morning, lovely and easy to put on, and I've had a lot of problems with putting harnesses and collars on Charlie, luckily I found a technique that works for all  :D . Well after this walk I have a big smile on my face as I really think this will teach good walking habits- after the initial "what the hell is this buckle in front of my chest" where he walked down the road biting it subsided. He began to walk really well, every time he began to pull he eased off and when he went to full on pull it spun him round  :005: . By the end he was walking really nicely. Onwards and upwards!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »
I really noticed the advantages of WYDWL when  I had to put Humphrey's other harness on on Sunday (we were back to using the long line, cos he'd been a "norty boy" and I needed the sturdier one with the clip on the back). With the lead on a collar or on the back fastening harness, he was wrenching my shoulder out again. I don't know if the WYDWL harness SOLVES the pulling problem, after months and months of failed attempts and frustration, I decided I'd opt for managing the problem instead of trying to fight it and walking has become so much more relaxed now. I still need the other harness for long line training but for normal use, the WYDWL is brilliant!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:46 AM »
Wouldn't be without it. See my review in Shopping, a couple of pages in.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Woodstock25

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 08:35:17 AM »
We took Toby out with his last night, as it arrived yesterday, and my OH tried it again this morning.  I can definitely see the advantages when he is walking well.  However, he is devil for biting his lead (which we are working on), and because the lead fastening is at the front, it is far more accessible for him to bite!   My OH just came back in from walking him and said, I'm not using that again until he stops with the lead biting - he's a nutter!   

I'm in the process of modifying a lead to put a short link of chain in the lead, as per some suggestions on COL, as that should be less tempting.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »
Oh dear, yes I can imagine having the lead right in line with those teeth is very tempting!!! :005:
The WYDWL is brilliant and I wouldn't be without it but there are situations where I prefer a standard one, - if you decide to train with a long lead, for example, you'll probably find a harness with a loop on the back better, first of all it takes the jolt better if they do race off and the lead suddenly runs out and second it doesn't tend to get so tangled up between the legs as with a front attachment.

Offline Briggo09

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
Charlie did this when I first got mine- soon got bored when I stood and he wanted to walk on. Now he just ignores it hanging In his face except when I put it on and he puts it in his mouth to run through to the porch  :005:

Offline AlanT

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
I just bought a WYDWL. AMAZING!

My wife, who is a tiny girl less than 5ft tall, has never managed to walk our Spaniel.
She takes shorts steps and goes too slow. The dog just pulls too hard for her.

Anyway on a WYDWL he just does not pull. He looks at you and seems really happy in it.

As a test I clipped back on the collar and right away he was pulling. There is some trigger with ordinary collars that makes them do this.

I have to cross a few very busy roads around here and I've been worried that if the collar failed he would be off.
But even if the buckle on a WYDWL failed the loop will stay over the head and you've a chance to grab them.

I really like this harness. £25 for the Sporty model on Amazon.