Author Topic: Non pull harness walk your dog with love  (Read 6762 times)

Offline ragione

Re: Non pull harness walk your dog with love
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
Hi, I bought one of these for my 9month old boy and haven't really got on with it. Prefer the halti, although he doesn't like it! Once I have got past him realising he is wearing it, he is fine. I have just listed the harness on eBay. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlanT

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »
We all love ours. Wife can walk now the dog. Pulls too hard on a collar for her to manage.

Dog seems to wear a smile and I find it very easy to use.

Offline barney165

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:00 AM »
Hi. Can you start your puppy on a wydwl harness or are they just for older dogs? Getting our pup in a few weeks and it's really important for me that I can train him to walk well!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 07:42:01 AM »
Hi. Can you start your puppy on a wydwl harness or are they just for older dogs? Getting our pup in a few weeks and it's really important for me that I can train him to walk well!

I  use a WYDWL but looking back, I really wish I had been more consistant with good training right from day 1. Cockers are renouned pullers but a lot of it is learned behaviour, you have the chance of starting off with a new puppy, my advice would be to look at some videos/DVD's etc, inform yourself about the best methods of teaching good lead control and start as you mean to go on, from the very first minute you put a lead on. I really wish someone had told me that! If you still have problems later, a WYDWL or similar harness is a great aid but the initial training is so important and it would be more beneficial if your dog could learn it without.

Offline barney165

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

I  use a WYDWL but looking back, I really wish I had been more consistant with good training right from day 1. Cockers are renouned pullers but a lot of it is learned behaviour, you have the chance of starting off with a new puppy, my advice would be to look at some videos/DVD's etc, inform yourself about the best methods of teaching good lead control and start as you mean to go on, from the very first minute you put a lead on. I really wish someone had told me that! If you still have problems later, a WYDWL or similar harness is a great aid but the initial training is so important and it would be more beneficial if your dog could learn it without.

Thanks, very helpful.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
Absolutely agree with what bizzy lizzy said. The WYDWL harness doesn't teach your dog, it just prevents. So he'll never learn if it's all you use. It is very useful when they are a bit older and you are still working on the leash walking and there are occasions when someone else needs to walk the dog or you need to get somewhere quickly as at least he's not practising his pulling, which is really important when training.

I started a thread recently in the Behaviour and Training section on retraining my dog to loose-leash walk. I put some links to videos there you might find useful. Good luck!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
I bought a WYDWL harness but my pup learned how to pull on it, so it does not help at all, in my experience.  In fact, on our first outing with it, he pulled me over and I sustained a serious injury when I face planted in the middle of a road! 
I realise lots of people are happy with theirs.
I emailed the company last night, to ask for advice.  I'll post again if they come up with anything useful.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
Mine will walk to heel almost perfectly OFF LEAD.

On a collar my wife cannot hold him.

On a WYDWL she manages him fine. He only pulls quite gently.

I go faster. He's just a lamb on a WYDWL. I often keep him on where on a collar I'd be wanting to let him go.

But the key is in the first sentence. He is actually very cooperative but a collar just seems to stimulate him some how. So WYDWL works for us.

And is the only harness that I've handled that I don't find puzzling to fit.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Ok, so I have a very lengthy reply to my email, from Dan at WYDWL.
In a nutshell, he says the WYDWL harness doesn't stop all dogs from pulling, and dogs need to be trained not to pull.
So, no miracles should be expected.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:46 AM »
I bought a WYDWL harness but my pup learned how to pull on it, so it does not help at all, in my experience.  In fact, on our first outing with it, he pulled me over and I sustained a serious injury when I face planted in the middle of a road! 
I realise lots of people are happy with theirs.
I emailed the company last night, to ask for advice.  I'll post again if they come up with anything useful.

Millie learnt how to pull in her WYDWL harness and I didn't like how the strap tightened around her leg when she pulled so it has been binned. I use a regular harness now and feel like I have more control.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 07:45:45 AM »
I'm also binning mine.  Back to the Perfect Fit for us, which I can use with a double ended lead.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 08:41:54 AM »
I'm also binning mine.  Back to the Perfect Fit for us, which I can use with a double ended lead.

That's what I'm using too. I use the double-ended lead in both loops when I need control. When I'm just letting Henry snuffle and he's not pulling, I unclip one end which gives him six feet or so of wandering room. And as a quick update, we are getting very little pulling now since I started in earnest to retrain him. Still happens when he's very excited or in new places and I'm still reinforcing nice walking heavily. But we're getting there.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline sue15

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »
I have just bought one of these harnesses and Freddy only had it on tonight for the first time and didn't complain and oh what a difference. It was a very enjoyable walk. He walked well with a Halti collar but because he has a narrow snout, it was catching his eyes when he pulled even though it was a small size. I feel this harness is a lot kinder but still does the job.I would definitely recommend it, although I know it is early days for him.

Offline ips

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Mine will walk to heel almost perfectly OFF LEAD.

On a collar my wife cannot hold him.

On a WYDWL she manages him fine. He only pulls quite gently.

I go faster. He's just a lamb on a WYDWL. I often keep him on where on a collar I'd be wanting to let him go.

But the key is in the first sentence. He is actually very cooperative but a collar just seems to stimulate him some how. So WYDWL works for us.

And is the only harness that I've handled that I don't find puzzling to fit.

Exactly same as my bitch. Perfect heel off lead but something about anything round her neck seems to trigger something. I have tried a few harness's but never heard of this one, all sounds to good to be true just like the other guaranteed no pull harnesses' that didn't work.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
I found they worked a while (hence my original comment) and the WYDWL was better than the Halti at the time but it was short lived unfortunately. For normal everyday, I'm back to a collar as I just feel I have more control. Its trial and error really, I don't think the magic solution has been invented yet!