Author Topic: Non pull harness walk your dog with love  (Read 6761 times)

Offline ips

Re: Non pull harness walk your dog with love
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »
I agree, some of our contraptions seemed to help at first but nothing worked long term. Figure eight worked a treat but she hates it and I hate to see her distressed. If I have another spaniel I would lead train a figure eight from the very start.
Tempted to try the harness as I have considered a front fastener (that sounds wrong 😁) but never found a suitable one.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »
We have a WYDWL harness and still use it at times - for a brisk 'getting from A to B walk' it's the best for us. However, I've watched Henry run while wearing it and it gives him a funny hitch to his gait. So we use it sparingly.

ips - have you looked at Perfect Fit harnesses? They come in sections and you chose a back or front ring, or, as we have, both. I use the front for lead walking and the back for the long line.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
We have a WYDWL harness and still use it at times - for a brisk 'getting from A to B walk' it's the best for us. However, I've watched Henry run while wearing it and it gives him a funny hitch to his gait. So we use it sparingly.

ips - have you looked at Perfect Fit harnesses? They come in sections and you chose a back or front ring, or, as we have, both. I use the front for lead walking and the back for the long line.

Thanks LG
No haven't seen those. They look very good might try one just for round town and gamefares etc. Best one we had was a roughwear but she grew out of it, it was similar looking to yours but I don't think it was front clip.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
I have redundant WYDWL harness you can have for free if you are interested. I don't need it anymore and it is just lying around.

Offline ips

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
That's very kind indeed. I would happily pay postage and pop a few quid in a dog charity box on your behalf 👍

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
Don't worry about postage but if you could donate a couple of pounds to Spaniel aid UK that would be great. The harness is for 15 to 35lbs and it fits my little worker (who is 12kg) fine.
If that is okay, pm me your address and I will get it sent out to you.

Offline ips

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
Your very kind and yes I will donate to that charity on your behalf  👍
My girl floats around 11-12 kg so should be ok you think ?

Pm on way

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:20 PM »
Nice one. Your girl is pretty much the same size as mine so should fit perfectly. I will send the harness in the next couple of days.  Hopefully it will help.

Offline ips

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Donation to spanielaid done 👍

By way of there amazon wish list which incidentally is a brilliant way of donating a material thing to a charity.

Thanks murphys law
Ps
Was sent with message "on behalf of (your full name)"

Offline AlanT

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »
I'm posting about WYDWL on a current topic "on-lead".

This works really well for us.  But there is a BUT, explained on the topic.

I find this very easy to get on/off.  When off it has another very useful feature.

I am scent working and blind-retrieving with this dog and sometimes want to tether him on a fence post or such,  whilst I hide the target.

Now I have the harness making a loop around the post and the other end on his collar.
I can now release quickly rather than having to unknot a lead.  I don't want to miss the action whilst struggling with a lead.

Offline ips

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Ok first off big thank you to murphys law for sending me the wydwl harness. It fits just fine.
Just got back from a walk and I can say that although it did not stop the desire to pull it definitely stopped her from digging in as we call it. We have tried various harness incl so called anti pull and I think this is probably the most effective so far. Figure eight and canny collar work but she hates them. We shall use the wydwl one for walks around town and game fares etc. Just to prove a point for the last hundred yards of walk (an area of huge temptation as we pass our feild) I removed it and she walked off lead at heel, well with her hind quarters just about level with me (I prefer this to a close heel as I can see her) so although there is no doubt whatsoever that she is better off a lead the wydwl will be ideal for "enforced" lead time. Oh and its a doddle to put on and take off. 👍

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
No worries Ian, I hope Eze is eze..ier  :D to walk in her new harness.

After 2 miles of getting pulled to the field today, I was beginning to wonder if I might need the harness back  >:D but to be fair, she walked really well on the way back so I forgave her.

Offline ips

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
No worries Ian, I hope Eze is eze..ier  :D to walk in her new harness.

After 2 miles of getting pulled to the field today, I was beginning to wonder if I might need the harness back  >:D but to be fair, she walked really well on the way back so I forgave her.

I see what you did there steve 😉

I think its a cocker trait and one that requires constant management. The only thing that stops me getting really annoyed with the pulling is the fact that she is so good off lead. Like someone else said (Allan I think) any type of restraint seems to turn a switch on. If I was restrained I think I would instinctively try and get away from it as well 😒

If enforced lead walks are even 20% improved with the wydwl then it will be much less frustrating.

Ps
I have never seen a cocker perfect on a lead

Offline AlanT

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
Maybe I'll make a film of us using a WYDWL.  It's not perfect lead work like in shows but it's comfy and safe.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
Ian, - I think your p.s. sums it up, - I always remind myself of that old prayer about having the courage to change things that can be changed but having the grace to accept those that can't and I think a great majority of cockers fall into that last catagory!!!!
Incidently, a tip I got from one of Zak George's videos, which has worked a few times when Humph is being particularly difficult to control, is to stop and do something they CAN do well, - so I just do a stop and sit or down occasionally while we're walking, which does seem to calm things down a little and gets him back into "listen with to mother" modus!!