Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Briggo09

Re: Help!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Great news that he's settling.
I'm in the middle of whistle training my boy and it's been great! I would highly recommend the book 'total recall' by pippa mattinson if you want a totally reliable recall and a step by step training program- it's been absolutely superb for me so far.

Offline daw

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
That's really good news! He's so much younger than our boy was when we took him on, your prospects for yours are so much better. (Don't be downcast if he has regressions- it's never a straight line forward with dogs but at least you're going in the same direction now!) Good luck.

I think one of the things mine has taught me is I didn't speak dog as well as I thought I did. :-\

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »
Really pleased to read your update and how well Toby is doing.  It does seem as though he's been trained to the whistle which should make training very much easier for you  :D

A little word of caution (and I know you are still trying to do the right things for your boy so please don't read this as a criticism) but the length of time you are walking him for may be contributing to his grumpiness around food  :-\ at his age he should only be out walking for 30-40 minutes at a time up to 3 times a day - this mostly to protect his joints but also to stop over tiredness / fractious behaviour!  I'd expect him to be sleeping for around 18 hours a day......unless he's related to Pearl who only slept from 11.30pm to 5.30am for her first 9 months  :shades:

Jayne
X

Offline Woodstock25

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »

A little word of caution (and I know you are still trying to do the right things for your boy so please don't read this as a criticism) but the length of time you are walking him for may be contributing to his grumpiness around food  :-\ at his age he should only be out walking for 30-40 minutes at a time up to 3 times a day - this mostly to protect his joints but also to stop over tiredness / fractious behaviour!  I'd expect him to be sleeping for around 18 hours a day......unless he's related to Pearl who only slept from 11.30pm to 5.30am for her first 9 months  :shades:

Jayne
X

Oh don't worry, I'm not near seeing all this good advice as criticism!! :D :D

Is there a guide/rule of thumb for the amount of exercise that we should be aiming for, dependant on age?

Thanks,  Brian

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 05:51:44 PM »
Mollie has zoomies every time she needs to go for a poo!  :005:  :005:  :005:

When we first experienced this, we too were worried we'd got an aggressive puppy.  My children were actually feet up on the settee in tears.  We soon got to know it's normal and we just laugh and watch now when she has her crazy zoomie moments!

Glad it's all sounding positive.  Keep asking on here for advice - there is a wealth of experience on here.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
Hi Brian and thank you - always a worry when you write something that could be taken the wrong way! It's not intended to be anything other than helpful and my experience  :D

The general guideline for excercise is 5 minutes for every month old, up to three times a day.  Toby should only really be getting 30-40 minutes at a time ideally although that isn't always practical - with my two I'd let them have plenty of rest the following day if they did any more than I expected!

Around 14 months old I believe the growth plates of a cocker spaniel would be close enough to think about longer walks/exercise sessions.

Brain training is just as important, if not more so than excercise for a cocker - asking him to sit and wait while you walk around him or leave the room/return will, I guarantee you, exhaust him! 

It's also a good idea to start doing this with his food when he's had longer to settle in with you - ask him to sit and wait before placing his meal on the floor then use a "release" command to let him know he can have his meal - it may take two of you to start with (one holding his collar gently) but before long he will realise he always gets his meal.  Over time you can build up the length of time he has to wait before you "release" him - this forms the basics of sit and stay outside and you will have a calmer house!

Offline Woodstock25

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
zoomies - a new word in our household, but totally exemplified by Toby running around the lounge and hall flat out for the past 5 minutes!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk