Author Topic: Hunting instinct a pain!!!  (Read 3244 times)

Offline rubyduby

Hunting instinct a pain!!!
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »
I take my two girls for a 2 1/2 -3 hr walk each morning into the fields or on the moors, but they are driving me mad they are obsessed with hunting, - voles-. The spend ages digging up grass tufts, heather anything that might house a vole or vole nest, the will eat any baby voles they find and often the youngest Amber will run off with the nest (or remains of) in her mouth. I hate this as I dont want them killing these baby creatures , as they have enough to contend with without my two loonies digging them up, they will chase ground birds/chicks or anything..Short of keeping them both on a lead all the time on these long walks, I am stumped, the idea of taking them to these places which are very local to me is that they can run and enjoy their walks , so leading them will ruin it for them and myself. My other concern is that my youngest in particular as an excellent memory and even when I drag her away, we can be a fair distance away and as soon as I let her off she will race back to where she or my other dogs has been digging , ignoring my calls or whistles...It worries me that one day she may even cross a road ....!! I have thought of a muzzle but I think she would fight it also it probably wont stop her squashing or clawing baby critters.....help!!! The older dog is 10 and has basicly taught Amber (16mnths) to do this hunting

Offline Ambler54

Re: Hunting instinct a pain!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 07:25:15 PM »
Rosie hasnt discovered voles/ moles etc but squirrels/ rabbits/ pheasant/ pigeons..She is an absolute nightmare.Her recall is brilliant until one of Her nemesis appear and thats it , gone....they dont even have to appear She can smell when one has been around and She goes into demented mode and She will remember where it was she smelt/ saw it and the next time We walk there demented again.She is an absolute nightmare.Nothing will bring Her out of ‘demented’.So walks in the woods etc have to be on a lead because if She gets a scent She just runs, We can see Her in the distance just running, then She realises She doesnt know where We are and then We can see panic set in, She doesnt hear the whistle etc and it can take sges to get Her attention and when She returns She is hyper ventilating with panic...so for Her own safety and our peace of mind She is on a lead.On the beach, in an enclosed field ,at home she is fantastic brilliant recall etc....but that hunting instinct is all consuming and like you I am afraid it could lead Her into harm.And I have no idea how to control it.....deep joy

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
yes exactly that, Amber is now also obsessed with squirrels, in fact anything that moves, she doesnt panic, but yes runs off, but she knows the area very well and often meets us further along oblivious to our concerns, I have even considered putting something on their nose or top lip, scentd, to disguise the scents she is following, but cant think of anything safe enough, and I dont want to spoil her walks, but ...........???

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »
No offence intended but if dog cant be trusted to walk at heel or at least stay close and not hunt then it really should be on a lead at this time of year , breeding season, ground bird's etc 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:40:36 PM »
No offence intended but if dog cant be trusted to walk at heel or at least stay close and not hunt then it really should be on a lead at this time of year , breeding season, ground bird's etc 👍

Absolutely.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »
Really... sadly these ground birds are destined to be shot anyway...grouse ..and I didnt get a dog to be shoved on a lead over the moors birds or not...was hoping for suggestions and help not psycophantic comments....no offence!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »
Really... sadly these ground birds are destined to be shot anyway...grouse ..and I didnt get a dog to be shoved on a lead over the moors birds or not...was hoping for suggestions and help not psycophantic comments....no offence!
Actually not all of them are destined to be shot.  Don't suppose you've thought about any of the other ground nesting birds either? And even if they were, they are indigenous birds that don't deserve to be chased by somebody's out of control dog.  Same as pheasants, sheep, whatever livestock.  It's this attitude that leads to senseless killing and damage to livestock every year.  IPS's comments are not psychophantic.  It is you that is irresponsible.  There are more than enough alternative, safe areas for you to walk your uncontrolled dog away from the moors.  Perhaps you might like to try local parks or the beach...  Or perhaps you'd like to try and train your dog properly.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 07:28:35 PM »
We dont have a beach, and dogs are on leads in the park, the moors , she isnt loose near sheep animals, after 40 yrs of spaniel ownership, i have learnt that small detail, never had a dog like her before, and never had an issue with this manic hunting attitude, hence the query, you are quite welcome to come and try training....she is fine when she is close, but once she disappears close by in the shrubbery she picks up a scent and goes,and no amount of calling or whistling brings her back till she is ready,..how did you train your dog, obviously you are so clever...

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »
I am sorry that you took offence i can assure you my comments were intended purely as an observation. I trained a break away from a flush by rewarding with her beloved ball. My one never interested in digging voles or moles as shr is of the beleif (rightly so) that absolutely anything of any interest will be instigated by me. Perhaps you could try some games whilst on these walks in order to keep engaged with pooch, plus 3hrs is a very long walk without something to ger the dogs mind working so obviously if you don't offer an alternative dog will fínd its own fun and possibly get fixated upon it. I would still advocate being very aware of ground nésting birds especially the sort that gamekeepers get blamed for killing 🤔😏👍

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
Deleted,

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
We dont have a beach, and dogs are on leads in the park, the moors , she isnt loose near sheep animals, after 40 yrs of spaniel ownership, i have learnt that small detail, never had a dog like her before, and never had an issue with this manic hunting attitude, hence the query, you are quite welcome to come and try training....she is fine when she is close, but once she disappears close by in the shrubbery she picks up a scent and goes,and no amount of calling or whistling brings her back till she is ready,..how did you train your dog, obviously you are so clever...
No need to be so defensive and condescending.  You have already said your young dog has learned this behaviour from the older one...  Reconditioning either/ both will be very difficult now as they have been allowed to self-reward for so long.  There is no easy fix - it will take huge commitment and time to correct.  So the lead is the best way to control them and keep them and wildlife safe (as others have suggested further up), unless you walk them in areas where these aren't in close proximity.  My dogs have been trained the same way as IPS's (from 8 weeks) - to engage with me and hunt under close control.  They work during shooting season.  And they go on the lead around livestock and in areas where there may be around nesting birds during spring/ summer. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
I now have her on the lead mainly as she is getting worse in her 'flushing' activities, and i dont want her on roads or getting shot, if she finds herself on her hare coursing in the middle of a field of sheep, unfortunatley she isnt particularly food orientated ,nor games/balls as to her hunting is far more interesting, she used to play with other dogs and with us, but now nothing else attracts her other than nose to the ground and off she goes, Feel really depressed as I feel keeping her on the line is spoliing her walk(and mine) but I obviously have to try something, she has learnt, yes, from the other dog, and even vole hunting was done locally and within eyesight never far away, now it is deer squirrels, hares, rabbits, which of course will could take her miles away, she knows the areas and knows exactly where to find me, but of course thats not the point.....sorry for being a bit ratty, but I am losing the will, big time..as I say
never had this issue in 40 yrs of Cocker ownership, but as we know they are all different, and I stupidly assumed she would behave the same as all the rest...On thelong lead she just gets to the end of it and pulls and I cant even get her attention , its like she isnt even awareof her name she is so completely focused on rushing off...