Author Topic: A Big Moan!  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
A Big Moan!
« on: July 07, 2006, 02:23:01 PM »
Sorry I haven't been on for a while and then come back with a big moan!

Woody is doing my head in   ph34r

Since we have had him I have not slept any later than 5am. I have now had enough!

Woody and Daisy sleep seperately, Woody in the dining room with a baby gate between them. As soon as it gets a bit light - he starts whining, then howling and this turns into barking within about a minute.

Basically he wants the loo and some food.

Nothing will make him stop. Even on the weekends if we let him out at 2am, he will be awake at 5am.

Do you think this will stop when the darker mornings start ... November  ph34r

I'm bloody exhausted!

Butter wouldn't melt!! ...

With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Re: A Big Moan!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 02:39:16 PM »
ooh i know this is no help but he is sooo cute :D

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:57:17 PM »
You can have him   ph34r

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »
I'll take him, he's gorgeous  :luv: :luv:  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:53:10 PM »
I would expect it to stop when the mornings get darker. There isn't anything else that's causing him to wake is there. No cock crowing in the vicinty?

Have you tried blacking out the windows and shutting the doors to restrict the light that gets through?
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Scootysmum

• Site Member
  • Scoots, mum Molly and sis Daisy on 3rd b-day!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
I have to admit, Scooter is the same. He wakes up for the loo at 5.30am and gets fed an hour later. I too am dreading the clocks going back. Even when he goes to bed later (cos mum and dad have fallen asleep on the sofa and wake up at 2am), there is still no change in his sleeping/waking patterns.
You are not alone. I work from home, but am always shattered by about 3.30pm. I don't think I'll have a lie in, ever again!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
Would putting them together be an option? Mine wake earlier if separated. Peggy cries any time of day when not with another 'being' for a prolonged period.
All of mine were wakeful (night and early morning) when we first got them (all rescues), but have settled down well now at night. They choose to be in the same room at night, and then migrate together to the bathroom landing by morning to greet the first human up. The baby gate stops them there!!!!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:03:22 PM »
If they go together its worse!! He wakes Daisy and she barks at him - and her bark is louder than his!!!   ::)

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 05:08:25 PM »
I have the opposite problem, Melly is fine in the mornings although I don't leave her past 8am.  If I want a long lie, I get up and wake her - feed her and leave the patio door open for her to come and go as she pleases.  Then she plods about for a wee while with the radio on so I can have some much needed rest if I need it.

My problem is the kids are always up at around 6am wining and moaning for their food and for attention!

Not sure what you could do TBH.  I leave the radio on for Melody overnight although I've had to turn the volume up a bit lately or she wakes with the birds at 4am!!!  

What about investing in one of those timed food bowls that could pop open when he wants food?  You might get away with getting up to let him out and he could come back in to his brekkie.

Hope you manage to work something out soon, sleep depravation is awful.  
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »
maybe he's hoping that you'll let him sleep in your room if he keeps it up long enough. ph34r I know we ended up giving up and letting Indie sleep iin our room quite early on because of the fuss he would make.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »
anyday :D

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 08:26:17 PM »
Poor you, he is lovely though.

I have never had this problem with my two and have tried to think why so I might be of help to you but I can't think of any reason at all why mine don't cry sorry.  I guess it is a bad habit that he has got into that has to be broken.

I know when my son used to cry when he was younger I stopped getting up and one day put the duvet over my head and went to sleep - when I woke up he'd shut up and was sleeping soundly.  Would it be an option to leave him to cry or do you think neighbours etc might hear and get funny.  I know he's not a baby but sometimes these things work.

Hope you get some sleep soon, you sound as if you have been through it a bit lately.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 09:27:33 PM »
Our lot (George) get OH up at anything between 4 and 5 usually nearer 4 ph34r makes no difference what time of year it is. He barks and barks until you go down to him. Sorry that probably not what you were wanting to hear. You could send him round here though he'd be in good company. :D
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 11:19:18 PM »
Hi Toni

Have you considered him in a crate?  Indie loves hers, she has it all cosy and you can always put a baby blanket over the top (the type with the holes in, they are very breathable) He may feel nice and secure in there and be happier sleeping a bit longer.  Luckily I have never had this problem with Indie, but, I can understand it must do your head in, but just look at that little face :luv: :luv:

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 04:28:31 AM »
I agree with "miche" and emma. I crate my crazy pup, Jack. He lets us sleep till 8.30. not a peep. one day till 9.40!  ph34r :D
I think it's a habbit he's developed. He's awake, so why aren't you  :shades:? I don't have two dogs, so I don't know how one would influence another.... I think you should pretent to ignore it. You wouldn't be able to sleep, of course, for a few nights... one, two... but it will work!! I bet it will. Crating will help of course, and we too, have a blanket over it. You could  do it in steps, first get him up at 6, 7, 8, etc. not all at once. Use alarm as a signal for him (and you) that *this* is what wakes you up - not his demands.

Watch out for emergency bathroom stops. Our pup was barking one night - I ignored it. Then my husband took him out, the pup had a nasty no.2.

I really think you should take that into control by not making him win!