Author Topic: definitly NOT walkies  (Read 8057 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 09:56:56 PM »
hi Pammy - that technique sounds good - I have tried the stop / starting ie stopping when she pulls waiting a few seconds until shes calm and then starting off again, using the heel command as she's at my side - and rinse and repeat as necessary.
Another thing I've noticed with her is that she seems to pull more just after I have praised her for walking beside me ??  ??? perhaps somewhere along the lines we have "mis-praised" her into thinking she should run ahead  ???  :(

I'll give that technique a try aswell ... she will walk to heel!!!!!  ;D  ;D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 06:21:10 PM »
Hello again!

Just thought I would report on Millie's lead behaviour (or lack of!  ;)  )
I have been following Pammy's technique for the last couple of days using just a soft collar and lead.
Wow!! is all I can say - although I don't want to tempt fate, and nor do I want to give in the the fact that it might just be a fluke due to the warm weather - she has been soooo good! Not quite walking to heel, but trotting along beside me or just in front of me, and actually responding, YES!! responding when I say HEEL!, she is slowing down to fall in beside me with her nose just infornt of my knees!  ;D  ;D

Gonna keep practicing - she stills has her moments, but I just about turn and march off in the other direction for about 100 yards - generally going the opposite way she doesn't pull and just walks to heel, so I praise her and tell her heel the whole time, then turn around and go the way I was supposed to be!

Thanks Pammy, and everyone else for your replies

A Cocker Spaniel owner growing more happy by the day   ;D  ;D ;)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Hel

• Site Member
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 06:53:12 PM »
Well, I'll be trying that as it seems to work.

I know where Pammy pinched it from - I did save it but got a bit miffed about the person's views on cocker rage.  I do the stop dead routine which does bring Pip back, but he then still pulls after a few seconds.  I'll try the turn around - if it works with him, it will work with any dog!                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 08:09:15 PM »
Yes, I've been having a bit of success with the "Pammy Method" too ! :)

When the dog pulls and you let the lead right out it, causes a bit of a jerk when he reaches full length, turning back at this point makes it obvious why you've turned round. Jimmy has quickly caught on and started turning back himself  automatically a couple of times. ;D

I've got my fingers crossed this is going to have a real impact......especially on the way to the park. (He's fine on the way back.) I'm not sure it'll have too much impact on the sudden lunges towards trees etc (my other bugbear  >:() as he gets to his target before the leads fully extended so you don't get the "jerk". I'll try turning back anyway, see if it works.

It is great when things appear to make a difference, it encourages you to persist........I've had a few false dawns before though , so won't be sending you a bottle of wine in appreciation just yet Pammy ! ;D But get the glasses ready...it's looking promising ! ;)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 08:46:51 PM »
well what can I say - so glad the technique is looking promising. Like I said - I did pinch it although it's not really that different from the general belief in stopping pulling by turning around - just put it into a bit more detail ;D. I'll put the glasses in the fridge Colin  and make sure the cork-screws ready ;D

I wish you both continued good luck. I will really have to give it a go with Jasper and see if it works with him. The real test though is when I have the two together then all sense goes out with the hearing :-

I'll give it a go over the next few days and see how we do - fingers crossed                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline viv

• Site Member
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 11:27:32 PM »
Oh Pammy your are my new best friend ;D ;D ;D
William has pulled me every day he has been with me...i have tried everything...then the sainted Pammy comes along and BOSH William is now the heel king ;D ;D ;D
I have used  the "Pammy Method" (thanks Colin good name) for a couple of days...modified it slightly cause William prefers to walk on the right and by jove the boy has got it.
I have tried Halti's, Gentle leaders, harnesses, sitting on the pavement and crying and nothing has worked until the magic wand that is Pammy...(Bless you Pammy for pinching it hee hee ;D ;D ;D)
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2003, 12:07:02 AM »
Pammy, looks like you are gonna have to build yourself a wine cellar ! ;D..........Red or white ? ;)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2003, 08:38:06 AM »
I've tried the stop/start method before, but always when I've had Daisy in tow as well so I guess it doesnt work as well when you're walking two dogs and only one of them is pulling - it's distracting!

I've got 2 weeks off in July (yippee!!) and I'm gonna devote loads of time to taking Jazz out on her own and try your turn about method Pam (who cares if someone else wrote it, you delivered it to us here! ;D). I'm also going to vary where we go, as at the moment I think Jazz pulls cos we always go in the same direction to the park, which probably doesnt help.                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2003, 08:44:41 AM »
I will let the chap know who put this up on the other board how well it's worked for you chaps.

I'll work on clearing some space in the cellar this weekend then - my sides the white side ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 09:15:39 AM »
Am i going to upset every one by saying my three don't pull (well normally)!

The reason - well it is actually very similar to the 'Pammy Method' (big it up there girl!)  ;D

We use a tutting noise to give three warnings before jerking the lead. They quickly learn to respond to the noise and it saves your arm and their neck!
It works with multiple dogs, because when you tut they all suddenly stick to your heel!                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
definitly NOT walkies
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 01:21:50 PM »
I've tried the stop/start method before, but always when I've had Daisy in tow as well so I guess it doesnt work as well when you're walking two dogs and only one of them is pulling - it's distracting!

I couldn't agree more Mike!!! After walking 2 dogs for the last couple of weeks...I have decided Buttons WILL walk to heel. Roana is such a joy to walk..she just trots along by your side...soooo laid back. I have to admit that although they have very similar typical cocker temperaments, Roana is such more "whatever" than Buttons..who is definitley a "NOW" kind of girl. I tried this method yesterday and did it work to some degree....tho like you Mike I def need to do it with just Buttons and not the 2 of them.
I now have one arm longer than the other...and muscles to die for ;) ::)