Author Topic: Neutering - Our Dilemma  (Read 6556 times)

Penel

Re: Neutering - Our Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 09:45:08 PM »
In that case, neutering him will probably make him a lovely lovely dog all the time  :D 

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
I've just had Barney done for this very reason.  ;)

Barney had been fine with other dogs, male or female, neutered or not until he hit six and a half months.  One night at training he decided that the dogs he'd happily played with for weeks had to be snapped at.  ph34r

Quite frankly I was mortified, its not something I've experienced with Max. There was a small incident prior to Barney's snapping which could have set him off, so I arranged with the trainer to take him into a different class later that week to see how he behaved with a different set of dogs. Well it carried on. If they went near the treat bag, if he felt like it, on one occassion he was having a cuddle with another owner and his dog came to say hello and he snapped at him.
He'd started marking on our walks a couple of weeks prior to this which I think is hormonal too.  :-\

My trainer said he was being a stroppy teenage boy. It started to happen just when his hormones would have started to kick in, so I thought that this could well be a hormone related problem. I really didn't feel like I could wait to see if it stopped after his adolescence, I have often been asked if he's nasty as he's a red cocker. He's not nasty at all he's a lovely boy who adores cuddles, and I would just hate if it if people thought he was nasty.

The following week at our normal training session, the snapping continued so I booked him in for his castration the following week.

Its now two weeks after his castration. He went training last Thursday and he didn't snap at all. I know the effects of castration are usually seen 2-3 months after being done so I don't know whether its had an immediate effect on him or he was just in a good mood! However the marking has stopped totally for a week now. So maybe it has. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

For Ruffy I would say do it, unless you thought its a fear aggression, which you've ruled out. If you think its a hormonal thing then I'd do it, and sooner rather than later.  The way I thought of it was that Barney obviously wasn't happy, I was stressed about him acting like that, he picks up on that which makes him worse. The options of keeping him on lead or muzzling him isn't what you want to do really, so if the vet and the behaviourist think its something that will help, does Pete have a leg to stand on???  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 09:51:28 PM »
Ben has had his visit and his character is still there big time!  The only thing that has reduced is his humping (not completely though as Snoopy will agree with)  ;)  It really hasn't changed his outgoing personality one bit.  He also takes the odd dislike to some dogs and an argument will still happen but I don't regret getting him done at all  :shades:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
I agree it's a tough decision but if you think it's best for Ruffy and the behaviourist has agreed with you then I think you should do it.

Having met Ruffy at the Glasgow meet he really is such a lovely wee chap but he clearly wasn't happy with other male dogs being near him, except for Dobbie that is, he definitely liked Dobbie  :005: :005:

I think your OH is just going to have to face facts... it's strange though this 'men and neutering' thing isn't it.. You'd think that the men were being done as well as the dogs!!  ::) 
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »
He LUUUU-RRRRRVED  :luv: :luv: Dobbie didn't he  :005:

Me and Pete have come to a compromise.

He thinks the behaviourist at our sugery is just touting for business for the vet, and I have to say - I'm not that impressed with her either, so we have agreed to take him to an independant behaviourist, and we will abide with what ever the outcome.

It's the best I can do I think.

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 08:56:29 AM »
It sounds like a good intiail compromise to me :)

Hope the consultation with the beahviourist goes well!

Rachel x
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 09:44:25 AM »
Well you sound just like I did about 2 months ago  ;)

Dill was/is a lovely dog but suddenly he started 'going' for any entire dog we met.  He was also eating puppies which the owners weren't that impressed with  ph34r  If we met a fmle or a neutured male Dill was still his lovely happy playful self.

TBH I was getting to the point where I'd stopped walking in our local park as its o heavily dog populated and I just couldnt stand anymore stressful walks.  Also my concern was that this would become a learned behaviour. 

The only difference I can see between your situation and mine is that thankfully my OH was supportive of the decision to neutur.  Also as Dill is a rescue it was an op that had to be done at some point it was just the timing that was in question.

Dill was done on 10th Oct and although it can take up to 3 months for the full effect to be seen I can honestly say I have already seen it - or at least some of it.  We met 2 gorgeous cocker pups yeaterday - both 6 months old and Dill never batted any eyelid  ;)  I have now got to the point where I am happy to walk with Dill behind me - ie out of my eyesight - without worrying that world war 3 will break out  :lol:

Dill is now a happy social playful dog  :luv: - just like he was when he first came to us - the aggression seems to have gone and I'm not constantly apologising to the entire dog population and their owners in the park.  :shades:

So my advice get it done  :D
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
He LUUUU-RRRRRVED  :luv: :luv: Dobbie didn't he  :005:

Me and Pete have come to a compromise.

He thinks the behaviourist at our sugery is just touting for business for the vet, and I have to say - I'm not that impressed with her either, so we have agreed to take him to an independant behaviourist, and we will abide with what ever the outcome.

It's the best I can do I think.

Yes he sure did love Dobbie ;)

Think your compromise is a good idea. Have you managed to arrange an appointment yet?

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »
I've contacted Vivian but she was unavailable at the time - I've left my details for her to call me back.

Peter is out with Tyson right now!! doG help him  ::)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 04:21:55 PM »
Funny enough Joules that's where me and Pete met - the park - perhaps that's where I went wrong!!!!  :005: ;)

He didn't get a scent of you and run off to the park did he :o.

I have had my 2 done and Matt was not that keen either, I should have had Matt done too as I fell pregnant very shortly afterwards ::)

Anyway, my 2 still have their wicked personalities and Mikey has the best shiniest coat I have every seen, they are fantastic dogs with lovely temperments  whoever they are faced with be it kids, bitches, dogs - neutered or entire.

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
I think I'll look around for a buy one get one free deal  :lol:

I've lost count of the people who Pete has told I was running round the park asking everyone out - to which they've replied "Really!!" - I mean, do I look like a tart? Don't answer that  :shades:

Anyway - I'm just off the phone with Vivian, and she asked lots of questions, she things this is one of the rare cases where she says she thinks neutering would help.

So now I have to break the news to daddy.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 06:58:38 PM »
Going, going....GONE!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 08:01:37 PM »
well whats he saying ? Pete not ruffy! ;)
I cant see that it will make any difference to ruffy except he will be a happier dog without all that testosterone fleeing about inside him. he'll go back to being a nice sociable boy again. :luv: rolo sends boy cocker best wishes.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »
My three are all done,
Bayley has calmed considerably from when I first got him :angel: and it has nearly been 12 months since his snip.
Oliver is still a grumpy old git bits or no bits >:D
The only time I would advise against castration is as penel said if I had a nervous dog.
In this respect I don't think castration has done Douglas any favours, but It was done before he came to me so I'll never know for sure.
be aware that it will take up to a year for his testosterone levels to fall away so i would also work on a strategy for managing and perhaps counterconditioning  the behaviour  as well.
The castration should go hand in hand with a behaviour modification program.
Best of luck with what ever you decide.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Ardvorlich

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 11:15:25 PM »
I'm interested in this, but I'm wondering if I should expect the same sort of aggressive behaviour in a dog from working stock rather than the show type? The breeder recommends that the dog should be kept entire, and I'm fairly sure that most dogs in any hunting environment don't display that aggression to one another. Maybe that's because they've got hunting on their minds, or maybe they're just under much tighter control than most dogs on a walk in the park?