Author Topic: Wont bring me the ball back !  (Read 2267 times)

Offline sleepymarie

• Site Member
Re: Wont bring me the ball back !
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »
You need two balls, so that he'll come back with the first one, as soon as he sees you have another one, he'll drop the first one.   ;)  Throw the 2nd one for the reward for dropping the first one, etc etc....

we did this with Benson, only took a few minutes for him to learn

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 04:49:24 PM »
You need two balls, so that he'll come back with the first one, as soon as he sees you have another one, he'll drop the first one.   ;)  Throw the 2nd one for the reward for dropping the first one, etc etc....

God what a simple idea! I wish I'd known that weeks ago!

Charlie was a bit like Freddie when fetching and I found giving a food reward the key, also to only do it a couple of times (when being good) and just play with him for a while otherwise he got bored.

Millie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »

I did this with my two --- works a treat
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »

I did this with my two --- works a treat

Me too, but somtimes when we go back to one ball Herbs will not drop it for fear of Mikey pinching it so in that case I ignore him until he drops the ball, Mikey doesn't pinch it so Herbie will nose it towards me until I throw it for him.  Now I only use 1 ball for 2 dogs and it is a race for who gets it, that's their fav game and it wears them out.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
If your training for working purposes using one to distract to get the other won't help you in the long run.  We were taught to face away from the dog crouched on the floor and as someone else has said make what ever you are looking at interesting (lots of ooos and ahhs).  when he comes to investigate praise for coming and hold him IGNORE the ball, once you have him back on his lead let him carry it for a few paces then ask him to sit and present, you can then remove the ball and offer the treat in exchange for good behaviour.

Its a real struggle not to want to chase them and grab whatever it is they have but in the long run its worth the patience.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »

This is what I was told to do with Billy by the behaviourist and it works !!  :lol: Can't believe I never thought of it before  :005: