Author Topic: Guarding New Owner  (Read 6084 times)

Offline wend

• Site Member
Guarding New Owner
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
We've only just got Summer so I know she's got to settle in and be taught how to behave, however she has started to guard me from my other dog Harvey (1 year old cocker). I just wondered if anyone had any advice on ways to handle this as I don't really want to make matters worse. Harvey is pretty good and does back down from her but it seems such a shame. Other than that they get on reasonably well, it only happens when people are involved. Also does anyone have any tips on how to teach Summer to play, she really has no idea. Harvey will go and stuff a toy in her face and she hasn't a clue whats going on.

Penel

Re: Guarding New Owner
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:02:37 AM »
What I would do, is withdraw your attention slightly from both dogs - be a bit offhand with them for now, so you aren't favouring either dog.  We all have a tendency to fuss a new dog, esp a rescue, because we feel sorry for them, but it doesn't do the "pack thing" any favours.  The "play" thing will come in time...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
What I would do, is withdraw your attention slightly from both dogs - be a bit offhand with them for now, so you aren't favouring either dog.  We all have a tendency to fuss a new dog, esp a rescue, because we feel sorry for them, but it doesn't do the "pack thing" any favours.  The "play" thing will come in time...

Couldn't agree more with this, I do this all the time when foster dogs arrive.

Some dogs may never play.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »
I agree with the other two.  My Millie is an MT puppy farm cocker, too.  I know how hard it is but I really think it is important in the first few weeks to hold back a bit.  It is very easy to create a dependency or even a separation anxiety in these dogs by doing everything for them at the beginning.  Provided you are gentle (as you obviously are), there is no reason why they shouldn't be treated like any other dog - rewarding good behaviour with a treat and refusing to reward bad behaviour with your attention.  A dog that has had nothing will naturally try to grab everything that comes her way.  In some cases they have only survived in their previous life by making sure they get 'first dibs' on food, prime position in shed, or any attention that's on offer from their feeders.  It is as well not to let them develop this as a habit in their new lives. Play is probably the lowest thing on Summer's list of priorities at the moment.  She almost certainly has no idea what it is and it may actually scare her.  I am sad to say that my Millie never has learnt it, despite the very best efforts of her doggy friends (and her owners, too).  But she was older than Summer when we got her - 5-6.  She has, however, learned to love canine companionship, firstly with her collie friend Daisy and subsequently with our second rescue cocker, Cassie.  She and Harvey will probably do the same, if you let them sort it out between themselves.  One day the play light might even switch on in her brain.  Fingers crossed for you.  But don't get worried - it is very early days and you probably have a lot of other surprises in store.  Most of them will be lovely if Millie is anything to go by.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 04:40:36 PM »
Wend, I've just had a look at the pics you posted of Summer.  I don't want to sound like a self-deluding idiot but I think you might have adopted one of my Millie's pups!!!  I'll try and post a pic of her on your thread in particolours.  (Not promising - I'm total garbage at this IT stuff but this is a really good reason to try and improve!)  Really lovely if it's true.  I still worry about what happened to all those pups she must have produced over the years.
Annie and Millie x

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:41:26 PM »
Herbie went through a stage of protecting me from Mikey.  I made the mistake of sitting down with Herbie and called Mikey over - then Herbie attacked Mikey.  I felt I let Mikey down as I called him over and he did as he was told against his judgement only to be attacked.

I did exactly what Penel has suggested and withdrew from both of them and it worked.  They have sorted out their pecking order and I am sure that this is what your dogs are doing, but you might have to help them along if it's you they are trying to guard :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
Miche's advice sounds spot on to me.  It's a rotten feeling when you think you have created the situation that has left your dogs squabbling.  I wonder if it would improve the situation if you made the sofa a no-go area for both of them until they are sorted?  Then it could become a privilege for good behaviour and something they will really look forward to.  It worked with Millie and Cassie but I'm fully aware I don't have all the answers so I hope someone will come along who has been through this too.

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
I've now bought the other cage out of the car and put it in the kitchen (opposite side to Harveys). I thought it would make it easier when I'm getting any food ready or when we are eating as I can put them both in separately. Summer has now took to standing on the kitchen table and barking at Harvey. I think there's going to be a bit of furniture rearranging going on tonight. When the children got home from school I told them not to fuss the dogs and don't try to call Harvey to you when you are stroking Summer. As for the snapping I'm just letting them get on with it, when she did it earlier Harvey full blown laid out on his back so I think he's definately accepting she's the boss. If they are left alone they're fine and even when there together in the car they're fine. Other than that Summer is so sweet, she's had her second bath and blow dry, you can tell she  doesn't like it but she just sits there and lets you get on with it. I've also used the coat king on her head and ears so she's starting to look a bit smarter. She can also 'Sit' and 'Down' when you tell her which I find amazing in such a short time. She really will do ANYTHING for food.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »
Summer has now took to standing on the kitchen table and barking at Harvey

I would also try to make sure she can't get up on the table

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
I know, I'll move the bench. I did put bags on there but she just climbed on them. I think she really feels like 'I'm the king of the castle' when she's on there, which she is definately not. I am of course.

Penel

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 12:35:32 AM »
Do you stand on the table then  ;) :005:

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 12:29:43 PM »
Not stand, maybe dance occasionally! :005:

Offline rainey f

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 01:25:11 PM »
Wend, I've just had a look at the pics you posted of Summer.

where,s the photo,s then?
lorraine and jo jo

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 01:45:30 PM »
Also does anyone have any tips on how to teach Summer to play, she really has no idea. Harvey will go and stuff a toy in her face and she hasn't a clue whats going on.
I've just replied on your howling at night thread, then spotted this one.  I don't know anything about the growling stuff, but as for playing, just let her do things at her own pace.  As I said in the other thread, I've had Nelly just over a year and only about a month ago, she started to play  :luv:.  I was delighted and now, Nelly & Dillon regularly play a game of "chase me" or "wall of death" round my living room.  It's a wonderful sight to see  :lol:.  Don't expect too much in the early days, she will take a long time to settle in.

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 07:36:19 PM »
Well Harvey and Summer have just had another big scrap. We've just decorated the christmas tree, complete with chocolate decorations (big mistake), we let the dogs in from the kitchen and all hell broke out. This time Harvey would not back down, they were both standing on their back legs really going for it. I did have to seperate them which wasn't easy and I would say very dangerous, I'm sure its only a matter of time before I get accidently bitten by one of them. Should you seperate them or just let them get on with it, how bad do these episodes tend to be. I am very concerned that this is how they will always. If they are left together in the kitchen they are fine as long as there is no food about, do you think I should just ban them both from the living room for a few weeks.