Author Topic: Guarding New Owner  (Read 6087 times)

Offline wend

• Site Member
Re: Guarding New Owner
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »
Does he fight back at all ?

He has since then, I think he knows that it won't help. But he really does try to avoid it, you can see that he's scared to even look at her.

Any tips on how to keep her off the sofa?

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »

Just to say good luck with everything.

I know Tony Orchard and he's really very very good - he runs the PATdog assessors course and he's judged me at a couple of Working Trials so he does know his stuff.

Ali :D

Penel

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2006, 04:56:58 PM »
She's wearing a house line isn't she ?  for the eating thing? ........ so I would keep that on her all the time.... don't push her off etc - lead her off and reward her for staying on the floor.... it does sound like she is having major strops with poor Harvey - my approach would be gentle though, as most dogs do this sort of thing out of fear, not straight aggression.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
Any tips on how to keep her off the sofa?

Wot Penel just said but keep doing it if she keeps geting back on sofa. Be prepared for the biggest sulks though and don't give in (hard I know but worth it in the long run to prevent a lot of this aggro)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2006, 10:47:44 PM »
I'm no expert but have had a similar problem as I took on a rescue 9 weeks ago so I hope some of this may help.  They fought really badly to start with and whichever one was closest to me would guard me against the other one.  Both got bitten by the other and there was bloodshed   :'(

We withdrew some of our attention from them both and stopped them coming up on our laps so they only had a fuss on the floor.  We then used to fuss one, call the other over and treat them gradually moving them closer and closer together.  Meg was the worst growler and if she did I used to put her in a room for 5mins alone as a 'time out'.  Gradually (although not very bright) she got the message.  We then progressed to allowing them up together on the bed for cuddles (as it's bigger than the sofa).  Finally we're on the sofa but still supervising although we had this the other night

It is slow and at times we nearly tore our hair out but we're getting there and I'm sure you will too.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2006, 11:44:40 PM »
Thats so lovely to hear, at least it gives me some hope. I've spent the evening stopping them coming up on our laps and the sofa and given strict instructions to the children. I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow. Hearing your story has reminded me to sort out pet insurance for Summer asap.

Just need to add that Summer barked for the whole night last night, I thought we had sorted this out. Do you think she could have been confused as we were constantly getting her off the sofa last night. I think she's catching on as she now lies on the floor along the front of the sofa.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »
They will get the message and realise that if they sit on the floor they still get fuss and treats.   We then progressed to one on our laps with the other on the floor at our feet and both getting treats, the both up and getting lots of praise and treats.  They are only allowed up with our permission as Jakey location guards so we can't have him jumping on our furniture when he wants because he won't let us on  >:D 

We do still have grumbles and growls but the guilty party gets put straight back on the floor.

Don't know what to say about the barking all night though because we had a nightmare with Jakey, needless to say that both dogs sleep in our bedroom on their own beds  >:D  It was either that or all the neighbours complaining.

Itakes patience.  Meg has found it hard sharing us with another dog but we're getting there.  It is worth it though.  I also  read "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and that helped.

Good luck
Louise x
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2006, 11:16:13 PM »
Thats so lovely to hear, at least it gives me some hope. I've spent the evening stopping them coming up on our laps and the sofa and given strict instructions to the children. I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow. Hearing your story has reminded me to sort out pet insurance for Summer asap.

Just need to add that Summer barked for the whole night last night, I thought we had sorted this out. Do you think she could have been confused as we were constantly getting her off the sofa last night. I think she's catching on as she now lies on the floor along the front of the sofa.

The barking at night could be something separate a sit sounds like she got the message re the sofa.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!