Author Topic: Why, oh why, oh why?  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
Why, oh why, oh why?
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Saffie just isn't getting recall at all. Thought I had finally cracked it but nope!!!

It seems that if she is at home or work she has to stick to me like a shadow but when she is out and about she couldn't care less. She is happy to sniff away and get further and further away from me and then when she does realise that she has lost me she just carrys on sniffying about. Also if she sees another dog or person on the other side of the park then she is off to get a fuss. As of yet she has never met a dog or person that has been horrible to her, so she thinks that ever one is there to see or play with her.

I have tried food:
Cheese - Hard or squirty = Gets bored and stinky breath too.
Fresh chicken = Too much gives her very soft pooh!
Beef = Works for so long.
Hot Dog Sausages = Gets bored after a while.
Cabbage = Strange I now but she loves it in the house.
Various bought dog treats = Lots of half full bags of dog treats.

I have also tried:
Running in the opposite direction = She carrys on trotting about.
Using a long line for months = She comes back and when no longer use it she is off.
Using a long line on the ground and not holding on to it = She doesn't run about as much and trails it through everything and anything.
Squeaky toys = Gets bored.
Whistle = Rewards with food when she gets back worked for so long and now just looks at me and then carrys on.
Telling her to Sit = Which she does until I get about 3 foot away from her and then she is off.
Gone to various trainners = She is a complete angel when there and returns like a rocket, but doesn't do this when in the real world!

What do I do!!!!!!!!!! I think I might have to try the liver cake recipe or does anyone else have some miricle food that drives their woof mad and has them zooming back. She just doesn't have as much excercise when on lead and is restlest during the day when she is at work with me, off lead she is snoring the rest of the day.

Offline ali

• Site Member
Re: Why, oh why, oh why?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »
afraid i'm gonna be no help because if you exchange the name saffie for that of barkley, you would then be reading a pretty accurate account of how my dog can be!  >:(

barkers is 14 months now and is getting better... but i am very aware that he doesn't yet have anything close to a reliable recall. there has been many an occasion in recent weeks when he has picked up a stick or something and then just wont let any of us near him to put a lead back on. and he has also perfected the infuriating habit of looking up at you when you call him, looking back at whatever he was sniffing, considering the situation for maybe up to a minute, and then just happily going back to whatever he was doing.  >:D

i shall read with interest any advice that people give you but i think liver cake may be very much worth trying. roast chicken and cheddar cheese don't work for barkers either!
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »
oh I forgot to put about the 'look'! She can be a complete little *!"T@?£D sometimes. I call her she looks at me to say yes I heard you, then carries on with what she was doing! I have said many a choice words under my breath and also VERY loud when she has done this when out walking. Locals must think there goes that crazy bloke that shouts at his cute adorable little puppy that isnt doing anything wrong - Mean man!!!!!!!

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »
Hey Saffie do you call her in a loud high pitched girly stuip dam strange embarrassing voice????? Oh and try Liver  :005: or smelly tuna bread  :shades: Just a thought!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:13:08 AM »
I start off jolly sounding but havent managed to muster the girly high pitched voice. With smelly liver cake and tuna bread I will have every dog in the neighbourhood (except Saffie) running to me. How long does it keep for and can you freeze it. I will search for the recipes and hope for a warm day at the weekend so I can have the windows open!!! Does it cause any bottom problems if given too much and how much is too much?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »
Yep, you could be describing Coco  >:(  She is now nearly 18 months and still her recall is not reliable. I have spent hours trying to catch her in the park - I have even had to enlist the help of passers by.  She is getting better though and I have started whistle training which seems to be working so far - but if there is something to sniff which is more exciting than me (ie most things!) she will ignore me.  I am sorry I have no helpful advice except to persevere and try not to pull your hair out and hope to goodness she gets better  ;)  The livercake may be worth a try though - Coco does cooperate slightly more if she knows I have stinky livercake in my pocket  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »
I start off jolly sounding but havent managed to muster the girly high pitched voice. With smelly liver cake and tuna bread I will have every dog in the neighbourhood (except Saffie) running to me. How long does it keep for and can you freeze it. I will search for the recipes and hope for a warm day at the weekend so I can have the windows open!!! Does it cause any bottom problems if given too much and how much is too much?
I freeze it yes without any problems! I dont make livercake I just use chopped liver! I put loads of garlic in the tuna bread tho! Maudie hasnt experienced any botty problems at all even when I stuff her Kong with it! Hope it helps!
Tracey and Maudie x

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
Well I have just printed out the recipes for a mass of nice treats. If these don't work I may think about dressing as a leaf for when out on walks so she may come back as she loves to chase leaves or I could dress as a mag-pie on alternate days to stop her getting bored.

The weblink for any other frustrated cocker owners that don't already use liverbread is:

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm

One question, how thick do you spread the livercake on the baking tray, between gagging of course and also being careful not to trip over the very excited cocker at your feet!

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »
Just found that thread for you lol!  :005:

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:33 AM »
I hope it works better than the small freeze dried liver pieces i bought from Pets at Home that is still 98% full due to her not being too impressed. Not that she is fussy at all.  :005:

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »
Just found that thread for you lol!  :005: I make the tuna bread about 1 1/2 cms thick! It cuts up nicely then! Never made livercake tho! Hand stinks afterwards I take dettol wipes to training otherwise my hands are attacked by everyones pups!

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
Fingers crossed then. Need to find a food blender now and a peg for my nose while I cook it.

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 10:47:05 AM »
I used to boil my liver and add cloves of garlic to the water, my other dog would work her socks off for it when at training class.
Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
You dont need a blender for the tuna bread! so easy made in 5 mins flat! then yiou spend the next 48 hours trying to get rid of the smell hehe  :005:

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
I might have to take a selection of nibbles out on our walks then and while I wait for her to get bored and come back to me I could set up my own snack waggon to pash the time!