Author Topic: Dog Listeners  (Read 5113 times)

Offline pamela

• Site Member
Re: Dog Listeners
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:26:04 PM »
Hi there, I have read Jan Fennells book but haven't followed any of the advice! I'd be interested to read the Jean Donaldson book that I see mentioned a lot on here, anyone know where can you buy it? Tried W H Smith but they had never heard of it.
Ben was quick to pick up clicker training and if I manage to get another pup I would probably use that method for training.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
Hi there, I have read Jan Fennells book but haven't followed any of the advice! I'd be interested to read the Jean Donaldson book that I see mentioned a lot on here, anyone know where can you buy it? Tried W H Smith but they had never heard of it.
Ben was quick to pick up clicker training and if I manage to get another pup I would probably use that method for training.

Waterstones,amazon or if you are lucky you may pick one up off ebay  :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 11:31:24 PM »
I have never consulted a book in my life on how to train dogs. I aint a reader, so if anyone wants Jan Fennels book I will post it to you F.O.C  :blink:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:26 PM »
I have never consulted a book in my life on how to train dogs. I aint a reader, so if anyone wants Jan Fennels book I will post it to you F.O.C  :blink:

The culture clash is more about understanding their behaviour rather than training  :D

Cazzie

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:35 PM »

The culture clash is more about understanding their behaviour rather than training  :D

If it comes in audio then id get it. I cant read books and digest the contents  ph34r :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 11:38:43 PM »

If it comes in audio then id get it. I cant read books and digest the contents  ph34r :005:

:005: :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:07 PM »

Jan im serious, im dreadful, show me something or tell me something once and ill never forget it, but ask me to read and digest waist of time  :005:

Anyway back to topic, anyone want the dog whisperer sorry listners book just let me know.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »

I can also jump in here with a free offer!! :D A Jan Fennel DVD!! It was given to me for my 40th Birthday, It is in mint, unused condition  ph34r:005:

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »

Jan im serious, im dreadful, show me something or tell me something once and ill never forget it, but ask me to read and digest waist of time  :005:

Anyway back to topic, anyone want the dog whisperer sorry listners book just let me know.

Hi,

If you're serious I'd be happy to take it off your hands? 

-x-
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Cazzie

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 03:13:39 PM »

Hi,

If you're serious I'd be happy to take it off your hands? 

-x-

Id be happy to send it to you, just pm me you're address  :blink:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 08:14:16 PM »
i read all Jan's books and thouroughly enjoyed them at the time, but then i broadened my horizons and learned about learning theory and wolfpack theory and it's demise.
I believe a lot of what Jan does works but not for the reasons she gives.
I tried some of her methods and look back at what a total Pratt i was eating before my dog and trying to make myself pack leader.
I too would recommend the culture clash to read as well as Dominance Fact or Fiction by Barry Eaton and Ray and Lorna coppinger's Dogs, A New Understanding of canine origin, Behaviour and evolution.
I would also reccomend How dogs learn by Burch and Bailey.
I do keep an open mind on all methods but unless Jan has come up with any new ideas then i 'm afraid she has nothing to offer me.
I am on a foundation degree in Canine Behaviour at the moment and her methods are less than popular there too.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 08:48:31 PM »
I can't abide the woman & personally never use any of her methods.

I couldn't be bothered to go through doorways before my dogs & if we ate before them the poor things would never get their meals before midnight!! ;)

I also couldn't be 'pack leader'  - I'm not a dog & I think my dogs realise that!! :shades:

Okay, our dogs are throughly spoilt but what the hell - that's what we have them for -  to love & spoil & we've had dogs for the last 25 years & had no problems with them so we must be doing something right!! :D
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 08:05:13 AM »
I believe a lot of what Jan does works but not for the reasons she gives.

I agree Mark -if a training technique/ethos works, it seems that there are always loads of different "experts" who give a different explanation as to why it works - the cynic in me suggests that it is purely in order to profit through books/TV etc   :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »
In some ways you have to say fair play to them Rachel even if you don't agree with everything they say.
I just wonder if jan has ever read these books listed above?
I would like the name and address of her publicist though!
Now there is someone who knows what they are doing ;)
mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk