Author Topic: Won't do her business when we go for a walk!!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline janeg

• Site Member
Won't do her business when we go for a walk!!
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:30:08 AM »
I've just taken Connie to the beach for the first time this morning.  The waves were crashing and she was a bit nervous but loved the freedom.  The problem I am having with her at the moment is that although she has been going out for the last 4 weeks now, she will not do her business when we go.  At first I thought that she was just too interested in her new environment but she now actually seems rather nervous of leaving my side when we are out.  I tried standing still this morning so that she could get on and do something but to no avail.  Then when we came back in she promptly weed on the kitchen floor, not even asking to go out in the garden.  The other problem with this is because she isn't going for a poo last thing at night she is messing in her crate and then tramples it everywhere. She seems very confused about what to do even though I have had paper down and really prasie her when she does anything outside.  Any advice guys?

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
Re: Won't do her business when we go for a walk!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »
Hi Janeg

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have the exact same problem(s) with Fred (apart from the lovely beach)! Hope it helps that you're not alone.

Steely x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »
I've just taken Connie to the beach for the first time this morning.  The waves were crashing and she was a bit nervous but loved the freedom.  The problem I am having with her at the moment is that although she has been going out for the last 4 weeks now, she will not do her business when we go.  At first I thought that she was just too interested in her new environment but she now actually seems rather nervous of leaving my side when we are out.  I tried standing still this morning so that she could get on and do something but to no avail.  Then when we came back in she promptly weed on the kitchen floor, not even asking to go out in the garden.  The other problem with this is because she isn't going for a poo last thing at night she is messing in her crate and then tramples it everywhere. She seems very confused about what to do even though I have had paper down and really prasie her when she does anything outside.  Any advice guys?

Does she go outside at all?
What sort of floor surface does she prefer? Grass? concrete? lino?
How often are you taking her out? You need to stay outside until she goes, this may take a while.
Can you find a location where other dogs have been?
Does she go more freequently if you are not around?
You say you praise her when she goes, I would go further than that and jackpot her with some real yummy treats  and make the biggest deal possible.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Maggies Muggles

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:58:50 PM »
I think Mark has the right idea.

For Maggie's first several months, I always had treats outside with me and IMMEDIATELY rewarded her when she performed outside (I'm told this has to be aboslutely immediately as any later and the dog does not associate the reward with the desired behaviour). After a while, Maggie would go to the loo outside and then come up to me straight away for her treat, clearly expecting something after going in the right place.

We generally tried not to give her a chance to go inside - we took her out every 45 minutes and also swooped her up and took her out at the first sign of wanting to go to the toilet inside (sniffing, circling, etc). It's a bit of an intensive process but every time she went outside gave us an opportunity to reward her and now she's almost 100%.

If your puppy goes inside, I'd try to immeditaely pick her up and take her outside (perhaps with a sharp "no" or "uh-uh"). You might try to clean any mess inside with one of those products that masks the trace of the previous business but I'm not sure how effective these really are.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Offline janeg

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
It does help to know that I'm not the only one who has this problem.

Regarding going outside with Connie, I am often stood for a good 20 minutes at 6 in the morning in my dressing gown (attractive).  She just thinks that this is a good time to show me how well she can trample my flower beds.  I have tried taking her with my sisters cocker who is 7 so that she can see what she has to do but this hasn't worked either.  She does seem to prefer to go inside on my slate kitchen floor or on the tiles in the conservatory, so when we go outside I put her on the patio yet she prefers the grass.  I don't know who's more confused, me or her!  As for the treat thing, I do treat her when we go back inside, so I will try taking the treats out with me and see if that helps.  Been out again today and tried a different environment - old railway lines.  Thought taking her away from grass might help but she has still not done anything.  I will keep trying and update you when we have some success.

Jane

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »
I have nothing to add, all of the above are dead right. When mine did a poo or a wee outside, people must have thought I was
a man woman because of the way I was acting. :005:
Love machine

Offline janeg

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:33:33 PM »
I think Mark has the right idea.

For Maggie's first several months, I always had treats outside with me and IMMEDIATELY rewarded her when she performed outside (I'm told this has to be aboslutely immediately as any later and the dog does not associate the reward with the desired behaviour). After a while, Maggie would go to the loo outside and then come up to me straight away for her treat, clearly expecting something after going in the right place.

We generally tried not to give her a chance to go inside - we took her out every 45 minutes and also swooped her up and took her out at the first sign of wanting to go to the toilet inside (sniffing, circling, etc). It's a bit of an intensive process but every time she went outside gave us an opportunity to reward her and now she's almost 100%.

If your puppy goes inside, I'd try to immeditaely pick her up and take her outside (perhaps with a sharp "no" or "uh-uh"). You might try to clean any mess inside with one of those products that masks the trace of the previous business but I'm not sure how effective these really are.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Have tried the treat immediately technique today.  OMG!! could be counting my chickens but as far as taking her into the back garden is concerned after the first time I rewarded her she has gone every time and has even rewarded me with a number 2 before bedtime.  I have had her out for a walk for the third time again tonight and still nothing, but a small step at a time is good.  Fingers crossed that we have a clean crate in the morning and that she has not forgotten what she has learnt today.  Thanks for the advice.  Jane x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:39:27 PM »
Fingers crossed that we have a clean crate in the morning and that she has not forgotten what she has learnt today. 

Don't be too downhearted if she has - pups are like babies; they take a while for a new skill to be learnt reliably, so you may have accidents in the crate and house for a few more weeks/months yet  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
So pleased for you JaneG!

Fred is still not doing anything when on walks - but the moment we get home he goes to the back door to be let intot he garden to do his thing.... progress I suppose that its outside in the garden, but would prefer it in a field. He's not giving me the chance to reward him when on the field as he isn't even doing a wee!

Help!

Steely x

Offline janeg

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 06:20:26 PM »
Clean crate this morning and straight outside for a poo at 6am.  Immediately rewarded with a treat and this has continued all day.  Still nothing on the walks though.  Connie has gone to the kennels with Charlie today as I am going to New York with Hubby in the morning.  I feel really bad even though the kennels are excellent and Charlie has always gone there, as I feel that I am making progress but that it might be undone over the next few days.  At least though I know that this technique works with her so can try again when I come back.  Bon Voyage all and have a good bank holiday weekend - whatever the weather.  Jane x  ;)

Offline Maggies Muggles

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »
Another thing that I forgot to mention is that whenever Maggie does perform outside, we say "EMPTY" (this can obviously be any word of your choosing) and we then say "good girl to empty" while we are giving the treat to her immediately after she has performed. Our hope with this is that it encourages her to go on command as well (although the Mrs is now very careful when asking me to "empty" the rubbish while we are inside...)