Author Topic: Obedience Classes  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Obedience Classes
« on: December 05, 2003, 10:46:01 PM »
Have just seen the thread on poppy's win at obedience classes.  I wondered how often you all got to these classes.  Are they ongoing throughout the year?  

Our local SSPCA rep only runs them for ten weeks in January and February  :?   So it's ten months since Morgan was there.  I do try to teach him new things and he's not bad but when the classes were on I made more of an effort to do a bit every day - probably so as not to embarrass ourselves at the next class  :wink:  Not that the classes were up to much, new people joined and left every week (only 2 or 3 stuck to it for the entire block) so we ended up stuck at learning sit and stay for 10 weeks- boring!

How many attend each class?  Is it the Good Citizen Awards that you are all working towards?  What do your dogs have to be able to do to get the prizes, awards, etc?                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

Obedience Classes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 12:58:02 AM »
The best sort of classes don't allow new people to join when they want and also they tend to keep most of their original members.

The one I went to does puppy, adult beginners, intermediate and advanced and also 1-2-1. If you both enjoy the classses and go up through the ranks as it were the dog school I go to also has a display team if anyone aspires to that level.

It might be worth looking round for other classes or may be try agility or flyball.

I've done puppy classes with both of mine and 1-2-1 with Ruby (now 20 months) and when I have time I'm putting her into the intermediate classes with the same club. Wilf (6 months old), bless him, if all goes well with his health I'll be training to be a pets as therapy dog as he'd be more suited to that.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Obedience Classes
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 08:04:25 AM »
I go every Thursday. At the moment Dallas is still stuck in the beginners as the intermediate class clashes with the advanced class which Vegas is in :roll:  They were working towards their bronze good citizen award(which they both passed the other week 8) ) so didn't think it was fair for either to miss any classes but he will be moving up after xmas and they will just have to go week about.

We also have a lot of people come for a few weeks then leave and we also get a lot of new people. Its quite good though as there are a few trainers so the new people get the basics in their own little group so that they don't hold everyone else back.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Obedience Classes
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 09:59:58 AM »
They were working towards their bronze good citizen award(which they both passed the other week  )

Well done to Dally and Vegas  :D                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Obedience Classes
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 09:41:31 PM »
They were working towards their bronze good citizen award(which they both passed the other week  )

Just seen this. Well Done Vegas and Dallas and Gill too of course :D                    
Fiona & Poppy :)