Author Topic: RAGE  (Read 7530 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: RAGE
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 05:22:38 PM »
I was at a vets when a so-called dog trainer took in a lovely young terrier to be pts as he was objecting when she was disciplining him by whacking with a rolled up newspaper. Vet was really upset as he wasn't convinced and tried to persuade her otherwise --- made even more so by the fact that they said they were then getting a lab pup. Earlier that afternoon I'd been asked to help and was in the process of finding a rescue!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
I was at a vets when a so-called dog trainer took in a lovely young terrier to be pts as he was objecting when she was disciplining him by whacking with a rolled up newspaper.

:o :o :o :o

Offline spettadog

• Site Member
  • Wee Jack aka Kingcott Zulu!!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 05:46:34 PM »
OMG.  I hope the vet didnt put the dog to sleep!!!!   :'( :'(
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!!!

Cazzie

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »

I sincerely hope not  >:(

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »
I was at a vets when a so-called dog trainer took in a lovely young terrier to be pts as he was objecting when she was disciplining him by whacking with a rolled up newspaper. Vet was really upset as he wasn't convinced and tried to persuade her otherwise --- made even more so by the fact that they said they were then getting a lab pup. Earlier that afternoon I'd been asked to help and was in the process of finding a rescue!

I sincerely hope not  >:(
Me too. If so  :'( . I trust said vet will be refusing so-called 'trainer's' custom in future  >:D
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Cazzie

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »

Penny does this really happen as if it does Im really concerned  :'(

edited Penny from Pammy (sorry)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »

Pammy does this really happen as if it does Im really concerned  :'(

My own experiences leads me to believe is that it happens all too often - and before you condemn the vets concerned, consider what might happen to the dog if the vet didn't humanely put the dog to sleep?  Vets will try their hardest to get the owner to hand the dog over to a rescue centre, or some will even take the dog themselves if the owner allows it; but I would say it is not unusual for an owner to demand a dog is PTS, and if the vet refuses, they find another way of "getting rid" of the dog  :'(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »

My own experiences leads me to believe is that it happens all too often - and before you condemn the vets concerned, consider what might happen to the dog if the vet didn't humanely put the dog to sleep?  Vets will try their hardest to get the owner to hand the dog over to a rescue centre, or some will even take the dog themselves if the owner allows it; but I would say it is not unusual for an owner to demand a dog is PTS, and if the vet refuses, they find another way of "getting rid" of the dog  :'(

Yes the vet did pts (and I don't blame him for that as he was put in a difficult situation, I blame the owner) --- and I agree with Rachel they shouldn't be condemned as their choices are often limited (just as ours as a rescue are in being able to take every dog that we're asked about).
In the runup to christmas there will be many requests for putting pets to sleep (its the time of year for it) and vets have to accept what the owners say about their pet if its a behavioural issue, and no doubt some owners will exaggerrate to do so plus make themselves feel better in the process! Sadly the world is not a nice place sometimes.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »
Yes the vet did pts (and I don't blame him for that as he was put in a difficult situation, I blame the owner) --- and I agree with Rachel they shouldn't be condemned as their choices are often limited (just as ours as a rescue are in being able to take every dog that we're asked about).

What a horrible predicament for the vet to be in  :'( :'(

Offline spettadog

• Site Member
  • Wee Jack aka Kingcott Zulu!!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2007, 07:25:06 PM »
Well, I am absolutely horrified at that news!!!!   :o :o  It is no excuse to have a dog PTS because it was being beaten.  My old vet used to take the money for having the dog PTS and find it a new home himself.  Vets have lots of contacts at animal rescue centres and I feel it is not their job to PTS a dog that is perfectly healthy and only reacting because it is being beaten.  I hope he reported this woman to the RSPCA.  If not, god knows what will happen to the poor labrador puppy that she is getting.  I feel sick now thinking about this.   :'( :'(

Annie
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!!!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2007, 07:29:20 PM »

In the runup to christmas there will be many requests for putting pets to sleep (its the time of year for it) and vets have to accept what the owners say about their pet if its a behavioural issue, and no doubt some owners will exaggerrate to do so plus make themselves feel better in the process! Sadly the world is not a nice place sometimes.
This is very close to my heart.
Thank the lord that lovely vet did not put my Bayley to sleep and contacted HWAR.
I owe her big time. ;)
Bayley was due to be PTS on December  22nd 2005 because of his aggression issues.
I would love to meet her and thank her in person one day for seeing beyond his then owners description of him.
nearly two years on he has turned out to be a clever, loving and devoted friend.
I will  indeed be lucky if I ever get as good raw material to work with as a trainer again.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »

I will  indeed be lucky if I ever get as good raw material to work with as a trainer again.
Mark

I know a furry baby who is lucky too  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »
My old vet used to take the money for having the dog PTS and find it a new home himself. 
Also known as theft - and probably not possible as frequently now-a-days due to the prevalence of multi-practice businesses, credit card transactions and shareholders  :-\   More than one vet has told me that because this did happen in the past, they are now faced with owners who demand euthanasia and won't leave until the deed is done  :-\

Vets have lots of contacts at animal rescue centres and I feel it is not their job to PTS a dog that is perfectly healthy and only reactig because it is being beaten.
Rescues turn away dogs every single day - many unwanted dogs face a far worse fate than being PTS if they are not accepted by a rescue  :'(

Euthanasia is a humane reality in a crisis - there just are too many dogs for the homes available, and I am astounded that anyone beleives that a vet would want to PTS a healthy dog.  No matter how critical I am of the veterinary profession (and doG knows, they don't get it right all the time) this is one thing I don't believe they can possibly be criticised for.

Better a dog is painlessly PTS with a kind word and touch, than clubbed/drowned/strangled - surely ?  :huh: :'(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2007, 08:25:58 PM »
My old vet used to take the money for having the dog PTS and find it a new home himself. 
Also known as theft - and probably not possible as frequently now-a-days due to the prevalence of multi-practice businesses, credit card transactions and shareholders  :-\   More than one vet has told me that because this did happen in the past, they are now faced with owners who demand euthanasia and won't leave until the deed is done  :-\

Absolutely. The liabilities involved with something like this are enormous, especially if the dog was supposed to be pts due to biting issues. Not to mention the shock and horror of an owner seeing a dog that they thought they had pts!  :o

A vet is certainly within his/her rights to refuse behavioural euthanasia if they are not comfortable with it. But rehoming such a dog must be with the owners knowledge and permission, and it is up to each vet individualy to decide for themselves where they stand.

Vets generally do not have rescue contacts, that is not the business they are in. 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Cazzie

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2007, 08:27:20 PM »
Yes they are in the business of saving lives not ending them  :'(