Author Topic: 2 dogs fighting  (Read 1364 times)

Offline lizmil

• Site Member
2 dogs fighting
« on: January 07, 2004, 01:50:11 PM »
I think I tried to post this a couple of minutes ago but deleted it - sorry.

I have 2 rescue cockers - Murphy (7 years) and Nemo (5 years).  Nemo is twice Murphy's size.  Murphy was first in the house.  Nemo is just such a soft baby and can't be bothered but will eventually fight with Murphy.
They fight regularly and yesterday Murphy got hurt.
When I'm not looking they seem to lick each others ears and faces, but when my husband or I are around, they will fight if Nemo tries to come onto our bed or couch etc. or over the post (i've just bought a postbox for outside today).
We have got chemical castration tablets for Murphy but this hasn't worked.
We do feed Murphy first and let him off the lead etc first, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
What can I do to stop them fighting as Murphy is really going to get hurt.                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
2 dogs fighting
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 03:10:48 PM »
Hi Lizmil

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Boys.

You need to establish who is Top Dog out of your two boys, which isn't that easy :roll:

I have had similar problems with my two older boys - Sebastian (6) and Bart (4) - they were fine if it was just my other half at home but when I came home they would get jealous and have a grumble at each other over me.  They both wanted me to make a fuss of them etc.

We have sorted out who is Top Dog in our house it is Sebastian - he was the first one in the house, he was my baby, he rushes out of the house first, he always goes up to greet other dogs first etc etc.  I now always feed Sebastian first, let him off the lead first, let him out of the door first - well if he makes it before Douglas :wink: I let him have everything before Bart - fuss etc etc.  If he lets Bart up on the sofa without muttering anything at him then Bart is allowed up, if not Bart gets told to go to his bed.  This may sound harsh to some of you but when you have more than one dog and fights/squabbles start you need to praise up one and push down the other.

We took Sebastian to the vet for a tardak injection (chemical castration) but it didn't have any effect at all.  One thing that has worked is we put Bart on Skulcap and Valerian tablets which are herbal tablets used for calming dogs and they have worked a treat for us.  

I hope this gives you some idea of what to do and see if you can sort out your Top Dog between Murphy & Nemo.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Hel

• Site Member
2 dogs fighting
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 07:35:24 PM »
Hi Lizmil

I have two rescue cockers of the same sort of age as yours and also foster cockers.  I'm no expert at all, but if you want to IM or email me, I can tell you my experiences of rescues living together.  

Helen