Author Topic: Doesn't want to walk  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
Doesn't want to walk
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
In the last few days Winnie has become increasingly reluctant to go for a walk. There is a lovely country park across the road from my housing estate (max 1/4 mile away) but 2 days ago she just nosed around in the trees for a while and then wanted to go home. Yesterday I managed to encourage her to walk around, although she kept turning back and looking at me to follow, and then dragging herself along behind me wearing a hang dog expression and lying down if I stopped. Today she started enthusiastically from my house but by half way to the park she was already dragging behind on the lead. When we were safely in the park I took the lead off and called her to follow as usual. To my dismay she turned around and walked all the way home without a backward glance....past entrances to an estate where she usually hunts for cats, straight over a road, and right to the side gate of my house - ignoring the scents of my neighbours cats (and, of course, ignoring her screaming and whistling and panicing owner following behind!). She seems to lack energy and enthusiasm and just sleeps all day. She is eating well, and is showing no other sign of illness or distress.

Should I be worried (I am already!). Any ideas what could be wrong? She is 8-9 years old but is usually quite sprightly.
Jane and Winnie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Doesn't want to walk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
Has she had a full veterinary check-up lately? Lethargy and reluctance to exercise are classic symptoms of an underactive thyroid which is not uncommon in older dogs. Your vet can test Winnie for this and if this is the problem, it's fairly easily treated. It may not be a thyroid problem at all but it's always worth seeking veterinary advice if your dog shows any sudden behavioural changes just to rule a medical problem out.
Jane

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
I agree with Jane S, take her to the vet first and get her checked out. If everything is ok has she maybe had a bad experience with another dog there you dont know about?

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
I agree with Jane S, take her to the vet first and get her checked out. If everything is ok has she maybe had a bad experience with another dog there you dont know about?

I agree and would do the same, especially as this change has been for a few days now.

Let us know how she is.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
Thank you all.

Winnie hasn't been to the vet since last July, when I first brought her home. I was wondering if I should get her checked out or wait a bit longer and see if she would perk up a bit. But I will call them tomorrow and see what they say. The fact that she is still eating well made me think it couldn't be too serious, but I could be wrong and it is much better safe than sorry.
Jane and Winnie

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »
I'm glad your going to make an appointment and see the vet, at least it will help rule out anything physical/medical and hopefully give you peace of mind. Like you said better to be safe than sorry. Hope all goes well and let us know how Winnie gets on.

Murron

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
Just to let you know that we visited the vet today and I have just had the results of her blood test. Her red blood count was on the minimum for normal and there were lots of 'baby' red cells that indicate that she could be recovering from something. She was also slightly more interested in a walk today, but still very keen to come home and sleep.....and sleep... She is also having problems jumping onto the sofa, but the vet couldn't find any specific reason so it again could be tiredness due to anaemia.

She has had an antibiotic jab and should start to show signs of recovery tomorrow. If yes, then a course of antibiotics should sort her out and if not I'll have to take her in again for another check up.
Jane and Winnie

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »
It sounds like Winnie is making a steady recovery bless her  :luv: good news that she was more interested in her walk and only to be expected that she wants to sleep if she is/has been anaemic.

Hopefully she will be back to normal tomorrow after her antibiotics have taken effect, and a good rest.

Murron