Author Topic: Over excited or doesn't want to walk?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Woody B

• Site Member
Over excited or doesn't want to walk?
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
I have a 13 month old working cocker spaniel. He has recently been acting strange when getting ready for a walk. When I take the lead off the hook his first reaction is to run under the table. He then comes back out and goes into a playful stance and starts barking non-stop. He'll creep up towards me then turn and run if I make the slightest move. He'll also charge around the room barking at the top of his voice refusing to come near me. What I need to know i whether he is trying to tell me he doesn't want to go out or whether he is getting too over-excited & thinks it's a game and I have to catch him. :P

If I do put him on the lead he is instantly fine and will go out for a walk as normal and when I need to put him back on his lead after a walk he will come straight to me.

If he doesn't want to go for a walk the next step will be to find the reason why but if he is simply playing a game it looks like it's back to the training ;)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: Over excited or doesn't want to walk?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:56 AM »
I think its excitment - Ollie does the same! But I am no expert so I'm sure someone may come along with better advice.

If we leave the from the back door out of the kitchen i can now get him to wait in his bed calming but still with a bit of noise. But going out the front door is a nightmare. So i am not putting his lead on until he is quiet and not opening the front door until he is sat and quiet. It takes a while but we'll get there!!!

Good luck!!!

L&O x

Offline allylou

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
Also sounds very similar to Marley (he's 3)- he backs away, jumps around, barks, runs off, comes back and runs off again every time the lead comes out, or i put on a certain coat or tuck my trousers in my socks  :005:. His is down to over excitement at the prospect of going out. I normally have to wait a good 5 minutes before he can finally sit down, all quivery and desperate to go.
I
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
Misha used to do this,(still does a bit), however I try and pretend that I'm going to leave without her, she soon comes round.  Roly on the other hand really does seem as if he doesn't want to go out, and will head to the other end of the kitchen, or go and sit in his crate.  With him as well I have to pretend that Misha & I will leave with out him.  He's fine once he gets out the door.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
Sounds like a stress reaction to the appearance of the lead, something may have worried him in the past.
All the signs point to him being worried about the lead going on.
Some people confuse this reaction for excitement.
Can you think of anything that may have caused this?
It could be just the fact that he is excited and it is impossible to tell without seeing it for myself.
I would get the lead out and feed him, play with him, do anything he enjoys  but do not put it on.
Then put it away again.
I would also teach a down stay with the lead in your hand so that the lead is not always a signal to go giddy.
You must makesure all associations with the lead are totally positive from now on.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
My puppy Hattie is the same, but I know she is frightened, its not excitement with her she hides in her create, under the table anywere she can. I used to think it was because of the harness but now it seems to be even opening the cupboard door were everything is kept.  I have tried the harness on the floor, giving treats.  To be honest I really don't know what to do, she is 8 months old and once she has her harness and lead on she seems OK.  I find this very upsetting as I want her to be happy so I will be watching this thread to see what advice I can pick up.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:35:11 PM »
I would also teach a down stay with the lead in your hand so that the lead is not always a signal to go giddy.

I don't know if you remember that you gave this piece of fabulous advice on another thread a few months ago, Mark - and I cannot emphasis enough how it has changed the atmosphere and environment in our household  :005:

Getting ready to go out for a walk was one of the biggest things we struggled with when we became a two-dog household; chaos ruled  :005:  Teaching my two to wait in their beds while I get ready, put their harnesses and clip their leads on while they are literally trembling with excitement and anticipation has literally changed our lives (for the better) :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Woody B

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »
Thanks for your comments, to me it does seem like a stress reaction rather than excitement. We've had Woody since he was 8 weeks and cannot think of a bad situation he has had with a lead. Anyone who tries to take him for a walk gets the same reaction other than my father in law who takes him out on a Tuesday. When my father in law comes through the door he is met with mass excitement and tail wagging and in all that excitement the lead is put on before the problem begins.

The only difference between anyone else and my father in law is the method of transport. When I or anyone else takes him for a walk we travel in the car, he doesn't like the car and will bury himself under blankets in the boot space where we have a dog guard. With my father in law he travels in style... up front on the seat of a transit van and he seems to love it. I think it may be that he associates his lead with a walk and having to go in the car that stresses him out :huh:

Any advice on settling him in the car, if that is in fact the problem, will be greatly appreciated. I'll start with the stay down before we leave to see if keeping him calm helps.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
Sounds to me like you have the cause of his anxiety!
Feed him in your car with the car stationary and with his lead on then take him back in and take the lead off.
Do the same with your engine running, then make small journeys and maybe have someone in the back and feed him.
You may also consider having him travel in a covered crate which you can introduce in your house but you must make this environment a place he really wants to be in.
I did this with Alfie who was worried about me leaving him and being a little destructive.
I gave him Kong's with all sorts of yummy stuff(Garlic sausage, pepperami, cream cheese etc), had him sleep in there overnight and he now loves his crate.
When we go out he runs up the stairs and is waiting for his kong before we even get our coats on.
Changing how a dog feels about something takes time but I wouldn't put him in the back of the car and take him out for a while and see if this improves.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk