Author Topic: William keeps running away  (Read 776 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
William keeps running away
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
It's just not like him, but in the last week he's started running away while we're out walking and disappearing for several minutes at a time. It's frightening the life out of me.

Our walks are all in the New Forest and off lead, although I put him back on lead briefly at some stage every walk, just because, and I also do a bit of training. When he's off lead I call him back to me every so often and give him a treat or a pat then tell him to "go play" again. His recall is normally very good, although summer evening walks near rabbit warrens can be a bit of a headache.

The walks are varied. Some of the places are quite open, others are woodland. William is used to ponies, cattle and donkeys and pays no attention. He sees deer quite often and is interested but doesn't chase or track. He's castrated and has never shown any interest in bitches. He says hello to other dogs that are nearby but doesn't run off to dogs in the distance. He's not interested in ponds, rivers or bogs (bless him  :luv:).

The only thing that's changed is having Louis, so I guess he must be the reason. Louis is also off lead most of the time and so far stays quite close to me. He likes to follow William or my friend's dog Ruby, but not if they're at a distance. Louis gets most of my attention on walks, making sure that he doesn't drown himself in a bog, run under a pony etc. plus doing some training. But William is still getting my attention too and I often call both of them to me and reward them.

William likes to run a lot and in wooded areas likes to chase squirrels. I'm used to him being out of my sight for about 30 seconds or so sometimes, then reappearing to check where I am. If I call him then he comes back to me. I quite often change direction when he checks in, just to keep him on his toes and not take it for granted that I'll walk where he wants to.

This new running off is sudden and seems entirely random. He just suddenly legs it at speed, not apparently following a scent. We're usually on familiar territory and he runs somewhere that has never interested him before. A few days ago it was under a holly hedge and barbed wire fence into an empty pasture field. Today it was into fenced off woodland along the perimeter of one of our walks.

Has anyone else had this with their older dog when a new puppy has been around? William doesn't much like Louis, but tolerates him. Maybe William is a bit bored? We had to stop doing agility a few months ago because of his back problem. We used to do 2 training sessions every week plus a few shows. Now we're doing 1 class a week aiming for our KC Good Citizenship Bronze, which is enjoyable, but doesn't require the same level of focus as agility did.

Any suggestions and advice will be welcome please.

Offline puppy love

Re: William keeps running away
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
Yes yes yes , i have, I could be writing your post but the difference is Saffie my puppy goes off with Indie (2) so i take turns in keeping them on the lead and that way Saffie stays close because Indie is with me - I hope you get my drift. What I can be sure of though before I had Saffs, Indie wasn't that adventurous, now it seems like Saffie has shown her what a scent is.

I would just reinforce the recall with william and show him that the running off for 2 mins is not acceptable, beacause before long Louis may be with him. You need control of both dogs. Thats how i feel anyway and thats how i am trying to cope with it. A lot of your posts are similar to what i am dealing with so big hugs to you ..... :luv:
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
I think William is aware that you're distracted and concentrating on Louis and knows that your attention is split.  Jarvis does this if I have his sister to stay and I tend to do twice as much recall than I normally would for both of them to keep his attention on me.

I feel he'd benefit from a few walks without Louis and having some one to one attention from his mum  ;) :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:23:59 PM »
Totally agree with Helen, both my two are dead easy individually but together they are much more likely to bog off (individually). And if I'm walking with someone else it's more likely because I'm chatting and if I have kids with me it's more likely... two dogs in a family do change the dynamics.

I deal with it by walking them individually a lot and doing loads of recall practice and other stuff on those individual walks to reaffirm that I'm interesting (honest gov!) and they should be sticking with me. If you don't always have time, as suggested above, sometimes alternating lead-time can help too... but both mine are totally different dogs on their own and a lot easier  :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »
I agree too, and would take William for more individual walkies with just his mom  :luv:   

tbh i hate (and very rarely do) taking all my 3 on walks together unless OH is with us, because they truly are completely different dogs on their own.  They wind each other up, sometimes into such an excitable frenzy that i worry one of them will have a heart attack or something.  :o  Nina & Jo Jo are the worst combination, as Jo Jo was always protective with Nina as a puppy, and together now they will chase off/growl at some friendly dogs, which i get upset/embarrassed with.  ph34r  If they are on their own you would not believe they are the same dogs, and usually are much friendlier too.  :luv:  I do remember Alfie used to run off quite a lot when Jo Jo was younger, at the time it never crossed my mind it was because of Jo Jo, but come to think of it, it probably was.  :-\  Alfie didn't like Jo Jo too much back then, but they adore each other now.  :luv:  I hope that one day in not the too distant future William & Louis grow to love each other too.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
Yup, exactly the same happened with Milo when Mocha came home.   ;)  He just realised that my attention was elsewhere and took advantage.   >:D  Things did settle after a while and they're both really good now, but I just had to do lots of work with each of them, both individually and together.
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:27 PM »
Louie is a dream when it's him and me and even if it's him and Jasper.  Introduce Heidi and he's away with the fairies and Heidi in pursuit. 

I try to split who I'm walking to make sure that we have Louie and mum time, lots of high value treats and reason to come back without having to stand in line for the treat

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
I have to agree with the majority, they always seem to know when your attention is diverted and most of them will take advantage! Tilly is generally a very well behaved dog but I've noticed it a bit with her while Cookie's been here as she takes a lot of attention on walks as I'm working on her recall. Tills has been taking the opportunity to go quite a bit further away from me than she usually does, she doesn't bog off but she's certainly pushing it from how she usually is when it's just me, her and Rodaidh and all my attention is on the two of them. Individual walks and training is definitely the way to go, I do individual training with them most days but I walked Tills on her own yesterday as well and did a bit of focussing work with her and she was much steadier when I walked all of them today.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »
Thanks for all your replies  :D.

I'll be walking William and Louis together this morning, then William on his own this afternoon. We'll be going to one of our favourite New Forest places and I'll make it exactly like our pre-Louis walks, but with some extra training thrown in with tuna bread rewards.

My original intention was to do 1 short walk with Louis, 1 short walk with both dogs and 1 longer walk with William every day, but it just hasn't worked out like that so far. Louis has had walks and training on his own, but it's so difficult for me to leave him home alone (he howls, barks, scrabbles at doors and pees) that William has missed out on his walks alone. I can't crate Louis because he reacts even more strongly, so I've backed off it for a few weeks, hoping that he becomes more confident as he grows up a bit.

This afternoon I've got someone to look after Louis, so I can take as long as I want with William, but it won't be so easy on weekdays.