Author Topic: Restless sleeper!  (Read 882 times)

Offline woodlander

Restless sleeper!
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
HI everyone - hoping you might be able to help.  Sweep sleeps with us upstairs and we take her basket with us upstairs each night.  She starts off on the bed then gets off and lays out on teh floor.

The problem is that she repeats this pattern throughout the night - up on the bed then off again which is very disturbing.  OH is becoming very grouchy!

Ok so we've made a rod for our own back but can anyone help with how we might train her to stay on the floor (or in her basket - doesn't matter which) and not keep jumping up onto the bed during the night and giving us a wet nose at 3am!!!  ph34r 

Thanks in advance

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Restless sleeper!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »
she's just like Jarvis  :luv:  and that's why he sleeps downstairs  ph34r :005:

Does she have a crate?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
Having exactly the same probs with Eddie - no advice, he howls the street down when we try to make him sleep downstairs - this morning he was jumping on and off the bed at 3am, 4am, 5am and then 6.45am (after a severe telling off - even Ruby growls at him for waking her) - i bought ear plugs and everything - i'll watch this thread with interest  ;)
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline woodlander

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
She does have a travel crate but whines dreadfully when in it.  I expect it a bit small for regular overnighting.

We donated our big crate which she had when she was a puppy to some friends who had a puppy last year.

Offline uplands

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
 :D  Hi  l am in the process of trying to get Tillie to sleep in her bed and not ours as she sleeps like a log pressed up against my legs and l am unable to move  :005:  l am just being firm with her ::) ha ha.  When we go to bed she is already on our bed so l lift her off and tell her on your bed  - stay and
then  put a light weight cover over her in case she is cold  :luv: :005: ::)  each time she wakes up l go thru the same proceedure.  l have her  right next to my side of the bed so l dont have to keep getting out just lean over.    l am hoping in time she will get the message.  When she wakes l am very firm with her - saying 'on your bed - stay'.  l will let you know in a few weeks !!!! how l am getting on and look forward to hearing of any other suggestions.  ;)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
I know this doesn't really help, but our bed must be really high as Belle can't get up on it???? She wakes me at 7 am just before the alarm every morning with a kiss :luv: and I know that if she could get up she would. It sounds drastic and expensive but really the only course of action is a new higher bed ph34r :005: :005:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline woodlander

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  This weekend Sweep is going to kennels for 3 nights so sort of breaks the cycle and next week I think we might try the being firm (Ha Ha as you say Uplander) route and making her go back to her own bed or on the floor.  We may have a few more disturbed nights yet I fear!

Good idea about moving her basket right next to our bed - she seems to be a bit of a Mummy's girl so looks like I will have to take this one on  :shades:

Its like she just wants to make sure we are still there  :luv:

If anyone has any other ideas - most welcome!

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
We got a crate and were dreading the switch over as Glen had only ever slept on our bed....one restless night and then they took to it like ducks to water.....best £50 I ever spent  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline uplands

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
We got a crate and were dreading the switch over as Glen had only ever slept on our bed....one restless night and then they took to it like ducks to water.....best £50 I ever spent  ;)

Out of interest - where is the crate kept and is the door open or shut?

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
Crate is in the bedroom so they can see us and we can hear if there is a problem but the door is shut. We have a cover for it but don't use it and our two know the routine is they get up on the bed for cuddles while we read, lights out means in the crate and then in the morning their dad lets them out when he goes to work and after he walks and feeds them they get back on the bed with me for morning snuggles.  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline toro

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »
We had a similar scenario with Ollie, although he always started in his bed, he would wake up early in a morning and jump up and down on our bed to wake us up too! So we now have a crate in the bedroom for him. He took to it no problem and now when we go to bed he stands and waits for us to open the door to let him go to sleep  :luv: and then I let him out when I get up in a morning. He still wakes up before us but sits quietly in his crate until we get up!
Angi, Alex, Freckles and Ollie