Author Topic: So proud of Sweep this weekend.....  (Read 451 times)

Offline woodlander

So proud of Sweep this weekend.....
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
We went for our ususal walk on the beach yesterday morning - absolutely glorious weather.  Anyway there was  a Mum with a toddler about 18 months who was playing in the sand and wanted or so I thought to stroke the nice doggie!  I went over and held Sweep whilst he stroked her - anyway really it was Sweep's ball he wanted to play with!!!

He took the ball and started off down the beach. Sweep followed him (thinking he was going to throw it for her- wishfull thinking on Sweep's part!!!!)  I was thinking Oh no she's going to try and get the ball out of his hand.  However, she didn't once jump up at the toddler or try and grab the ball from his hand.  She just sat when I said and waited patiently. 

I was soooooooooo proud because the Mum said "what a well behaved dog".  (Little does she know Ha Ha >:D)Do adult dogs know if there's a little person about to be more gentle?

Offline SandraD

Re: So proud of Sweep this weekend.....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
Well done Sweep :luv:

I always remember when Monty was little, we came across a little boy feeding bread to the ducks at the park - unfortunately he was waving the bread around rather than giving it to the birds - Monty ran up to see what he had got ................................. you can guess what's coming, he grabbed the bread and did a runner! ph34r  Thankfully the little boy wasn't at all phased and Dad thought it was funny, but I was mortified!!  The down side of having a food obsessed cocker!!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:32:32 AM »
I think they know the difference. Dexters has a tendancy to pull unless I inist he walks to heel and even then he only maintains it if I drip feed him treats.

But whenver a child or an elderly person is walking him he walks perfectly.

He absolutely loves children. Hes never jumped up at a child or guarding anything from them. I think he knows that if he did either of these he loose out on the chance to interact with them.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
I do think that to some extent dogs do know how to behave better around children.  My Godchildren (who are 4 and 7) came over a few months ago and my godson (the 7 year old) is a little scared of dogs (was terrified when he met Roly at 10 weeks).  Misha and Roly were saints and didn't jump up once and followed every command that the kids gave them when they were playing out in the garden.  The kids had them going over jumps etc, and generally had a great time with the dogs.  Given that Misha and Roly will jump up at every adult that enters the house it was a bit of revelation.  

Also recently took Misha to a charity collection at Tescos for Nessr and she was ace with all the kids that wanted to pet her, just sat down and let them cuddle and kiss her - and loved every minute of it :lol2:  She was even leaning up to say hello to kids in trollies so that they could say hello to her.  I'm always amazed at how good they are with kids especially as I don't have any so they haven't grown up with them.

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »
Well done Sweep :luv:

I always remember when Monty was little, we came across a little boy feeding bread to the ducks at the park - unfortunately he was waving the bread around rather than giving it to the birds - Monty ran up to see what he had got ................................. you can guess what's coming, he grabbed the bread and did a runner! ph34r  Thankfully the little boy wasn't at all phased and Dad thought it was funny, but I was mortified!!  The down side of having a food obsessed cocker!!

Unfortunately Woodster would have used that as an excuse to jump into the water and chase all the ducks away  >:D and yes he has done this before!

Bx