Author Topic: Won't stop eating poo  (Read 2544 times)

Offline joanna84

• Daisy
Re: Won't stop eating poo
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »
Well I think we have had a break through with the poo eating/regaining recall..... :D
We are now training Daisy to the whistle with HAM, since the normal recall 'come' and regular treats was failing when poo was around we needed to use something different that will only be rewarded by the whistle.  We started off in the house tooting the whistle then giving her some ham,
toot toot = ham
toot toot = ham
toot toot = ham,
until she associated whistle meant 'i get some ham' then i gradually moved away from her and changed direction (only when I felt confident that she would do as I expected) I gave a toot toot and she was in front of me awaiting some ham.
So then we went outside for a walk and I gave her some length on the lead (and she was aware we had some ham stuffed in the pockets) any time she wondered off I blew the whistle and she about turned sharp came back to me and got some ham as her reward  ;) 
We are trying not to over use it and just use it when necessary but so far so good although I'm scared to jinx it!  :P 
This mornings walk went very well, I even let her off the lead around her favourite area (usually poo littered  >:() and even when she was staring at one i gave one toot toot and she came running back  :dance04:  We'll keep working on it and hopefully we'll have no more upset tummies/angry mummy/embarrassing moments (when she hangs around a dogs bottom waiting) and a fresh breathed Daisy!   :005: