Author Topic: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash  (Read 6188 times)

Offline rory,s mum

Re: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
Like Dinah,I often have dogs on lead for a variety of reasons: Some of the dogs I foster have never learned to walk on a lead and are training,some training in recall but not ready, deaf,blind, old blind and deaf etc....     If I see an owner with a dog on leash I assume it is being trained or has another reason to be on leash and I use good manners and put my dogs on leash to walk past. The owner of a dog I am passing on leash shouldnt need to be responsible for my dog too.  It can be very distracting to a dog in training to have dogs off leash approaching it all the time.      Dogs may also be on leash because they are in care /foster and not owned by the walker.   interesting debate x

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
I keep Will the staffie on a lead when there are other unknown dogs about, as he doesn't like some - and he has been bounced on by off lead dogs and told them off (and why not, I would tell someone off if they bounced on me!).  He does not need a muzzle, he needs other owners to be equally responsible and keep their dogs under control as well.  Nerys the cocker goes on lead when other unknown dogs are about because she might run up to them and I don't want her to annoy them - when I know they are happy to play I let her off.  Walking in public areas we all need to be responsible, considerate dog owners who give each other space as necessary.
On Sunday we went on a sponsored walk with over 60 staffies and a few other breeds - all were kept on lead, all walked beautifully and no-one fell out - everyone knew to give each other room. 

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
I think the point is its all about respecting each others space and if your dog can't do that its up to you as the owner to keep it safe... Maggie is offlead pretty much all the time, but I am constantly watching to see who's around, I call her away from onlead dogs because I don't know why they are onlead and its really none of my business.  And if I see an offlead dog I watch to check body language, theirs and hers, and if there might be a problem because for instance they are a bit bouncy (Maggie has a bad back/legs and is quite fearful of bouncy dogs because of it) I call her to me and take her away from the situation.  My dog, my responsibility....
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
As a dog owner I am responsible for the welfare and safety of my dog, and also do my best to ensure that the actions and behaviours of my dog do not threaten the safety or welfare of others. We walk in open countryside. Every day. If I see an approaching dog who is on lead, I put Bingley onto his lead. As others have explained, being on lead autotmatically puts that dog at a disadvantage in terms of displaying warning 'go away, i need space' signals. I do not want my dog to make any other dog feel threatened, as the dog feeling threatened could (justifiably) tell him where to go. I don't want to put my dog in a situation where he could have a bad experience, especially as a consequence of his own 'friendly' behaviour, because his 'friendly' behaviour may not be welcomed by everyone, and I have to respect that. I don't think having your dog off lead gives you free reign to let your dog run up to every dog you encounter, even if you are in wide, open spaces.

We see fairweather walkers, plenty of them, sometimes always keeping their dogs on lead, but frankly it's none of my business why they choose to walk where they do, or why they keep their dog on the lead. On public land, people can walk however they bloomin' well like. Just because I walk my dog there every day doesn't mean I have the right for my dog to have free reign in that area, if fairweather walkers are about. If you don't want to have the hassle of recalling or putting your dog on lead, then don't - but please bear in mind that in doing so you are running the risk of creating hostile, potential damaging, encounters. And to be quite honest, if something serious happens (god forbid) with your dog off lead, and another dog on lead, the responsibilty (and 'blame') lies with you. I don't want to be dramatic or offend, but sorry, that's just how I feel.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
And to be quite honest, if something serious happens (god forbid) with your dog off lead, and another dog on lead, the responsibilty (and 'blame') lies with you.

I completely agree - Brodie was attacked a few weeks ago, she was on lead and the other dog was running loose. It happened to be the middle of the street but if it had been in the park I'd still have done what I did next - go home and phone the police ;). The other dog now has a Dog Control Notice placed on it...

Brodie despises meeting dogs when she is on her lead, it is pure fear with her. She is, and always will be a timid girl, although I constantly work hard to improve that. If another dog runs up to her and won't leave her alone, then she is completely within her rights tells it off. She is the dog on a lead and under control. I can't tell you how much I hate the words 'he just wants to play'... Yes he might, but all the hard work I've done in gaining Brodie's confidence goes right out the window. She is never, ever allowed to run up to an on lead dog as I know the damage it can do to another dog's confidence.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline praia

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
It's interesting how it has been stated that aggressive dogs should be kept on muzzles, yet it's the OP's dog that is growling at on lead dogs. 

I don't understand why some people look down on others who walked their dogs leashed.  You don't know the entire story of why a dog is on leash and you don't know the past history of these dogs that may explain why they behave as they do.  Just because a dog is suffering from health issues or has behavioral problems or simply hasn't been proofed to higher obedience doesn't mean that it should miss out on the opportunity to be walked. Considering the OP's story about meeting aggressive dogs in secluded walking areas, have you considered that these other dog owners may choose these spots in an effort to get away from people who allow their overly friendly dogs to approach their not so friendly dogs?  These people have as much right as you to walk their dogs anywhere they please as long as they are keeping their dog under control.

These owners are already responsibly controlling their dogs by keeping their dogs on lead. How about taking some responsibility and control yours? As others have already stated, if something terrible were to happen between your dog and an on lead dog, the blame would fall on you for first allowing your dog to approach an on lead dog and for not having enough control to call it off once things started turning for the worse. Of course you should recall your dog if an aggressive leashed dog approaches.  Your responsibility is towards the training and safety of your own dog not anybody else's.  How about you stop wondering about what's gone wrong with everybody else's dogs and start focusing more on your own dog's problems, which originally was stated as growling at leashed and fully controlled dogs.

Offline Yomper

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
Your all gobbing off saying i should keep my dog under control. i have never said i let my dog approach other dogs on a lead. i just get fed up having to call him every time a dog walks past on a lead. in fact after a lot of your snobby remarks i decided most of you don't know what your talking about.

ps thats not to karma or a few others that made sense just to the gobby oones
 Rudeness to other members. If you ask for advice on a public forum, you may not agree with all the replies you get but that's no excuse for rudeness

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
How very rude. 
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
i just get fed up having to call him every time a dog walks past on a lead.
Why don't you keep him on a lead then and you won't have to call him back?  :shades:

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

No matter how friendly the on-lead dog, as a general rule you shouldn't let an off-lead dog approach an on-lead dog, as the on-lead dog cannot display the full range of body language, and can't avoid contact if they want to do so.  It can make the on-lead dog more reactive as they have no option but to "fight" as they cannot "flee".

It is possible the on-lead dogs are giving off subtle "get lost" vibes which Oscar is reacting to... or another common problem is that an on-lead dog who is pulling even slightly on the lead actually pulls itself into what appears (to another dog) to be an aggressive stance - the face becomes taught, the body-weight is concentrated onto the front legs etc... add this to the fact that an on-lead dog will most likely be approaching in a straight line, with no option of stopping to sniff (which would be a calming signal) or altering pace to put another dog at ease... it's no wonder that being on-lead creates all kinds of problems both for the on-lead dog and for other dogs around them.
 ;)

That sounds very sensible advice/ observation and I found this very interesting, sorry it's not in reply to your query though

Offline scotsclyde

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »
i just get fed up having to call him every time a dog walks past on a lead

And I am sure the owner of the dog that your dog is running up to and invading their space is also fed up. Be glad you live in a place that allows off lead walks. Where I was from in NY,we had to keep our dog on lead or have 100% voice control and only allowing the dog a few feet from their owner. The reason behind these laws are because too many dog walkers thought it was their right not privilege to allow their dogs to run free invading others space. Only takes a few fed up people that your dog is annoying to get the ball rolling for laws to be made restricting dogs and in some cases banning from public areas. I enjoy the freedoms that the UK has to offer with dogs and will make sure I respect others to help maintain those freedoms.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »
i just get fed up having to call him every time a dog walks past on a lead.

It's just another part of being a dog owner really :-\
I usually walk my dogs across a local golf course (public footpath too) onto open countryside and farm land.
As you can imagine walking there at times require my dogs to be in very close control, or on their lead!
Golfers aren't overly keen on dogs charging across the fairway and/or playing fetch with the golf balls, and I am not overly keen on my dogs desire to chase rabbits and fezzies in the countryside   ;)

We enjoy our walks wherever we go, whether off or on lead! The time I spend out and about with my dogs is one of the best parts of my life, and I take as much pleasure seeing them under close control as running free  :D I am pretty sure my dogs feel the same  ;)

Offline Yomper

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »

And I am sure the owner of the dog that your dog is running up to and invading their space is also fed up.

Now this is my point. you obviously have a different language in new york as i said i have never allowed oscar to approach an on lead dog.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »

[/quote]

Now this is my point. you obviously have a different language in new york as i said i have never allowed oscar to approach an on lead dog.
[/quote]

Then i'm confused? Your first post says he growled at a dog that was on lead, and after growling you put him on a lead?  :-\ Isn't that him approaching an on lead dog, while off lead?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."