Author Topic: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash  (Read 6189 times)

Offline scotsclyde

Re: Growling at other dogs who are on there leash
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:24 AM »
why should i have to put my dog on the lead or recall him if an aggressive dog is approaching without a muzzle.

i have never allowed oscar to approach an on lead dog

i just get fed up having to call him every time a dog walks past on a lead

i have never said i let my dog approach other dogs on a lead

Very confused :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Yomper

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
well as i said this was at a cattle gate so both dogs in different fields and I wasn't walking him and you just explained it yourself. i just get fed up calling him every time i see a dog on the lead. hence the word fed up not that i let him approach

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Wow, you are very rude! I presume i was one of the gobby ones who doesn't know what they're talking about....  i can assure you i do! By looks of it you are a new dog owner who has decided everyone else is in the wrong when your the one asking for advice on your dog growling at onlead dogs. You've been given good advice, most if it, infact no, all of which you have decided to ignore. Instead you've made out its the onlead dogs fault!!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
Bob also does not like his space invaded, when he is no lead...
off lead he is so much better... but get in his face when he is on lead and he will have a go..

Offline Clare B

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
The older Flo gets the less she tolerates dogs bounding up to her or even taking an excited interest from onlead, she ignores them or if they are ' in her face' she tells them off, especially with younger dogs ( and she is not even 2 yet).  She likes her own company and that of her immediate family and friends( including doggy friends) but if strange dogs or people make a fuss of her she's not comfortable.  Alot like people and dogs all have their own ways and preferences, strengths and weaknesses.  And like we should with people, we should have understanding that not all are alike... And that's a good thing... Makes the world go round :D

Offline Yomper

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:13 PM »
I give up. how many times do i have to say i DON'T let my dog approach onlead dogs without asking if its ok BUT when i go to a secluded place ie fields on abandoned farms to let my dog have a run and sniff why should i have to keep calling my dog back when other dogs approach on a lead. when they disappear another dog on a lead appears. When this has happened 3 or 4 times in 10 minutes its a pain in the ass.  i goto fields and obscure places where most other owners with dogs off the lead go its only when the sun comes out the dogs with leads come to these places and it is not my fault or the other dogs fault that there on leads but their owners. If a dog has problems with other dogs then surely they should avoid a bunch of off lead dogs who are playing instead of everyone calling there dog while the dog passes. walk the other side of the field. So before you start repeating THAT i shouldn't let my dog approach other dogs if there on the lead i DON'T but i get fed up sometimes having to do so. the few places where i have walk oscar for the last year i know most of the other dogs i see day in day out come rain cold or sun. come a sunny day at times there is a dog every 200yrds on a lead. so whos fault is it that their dog has problems?

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
when i go to a secluded place ie fields on abandoned farms to let my dog have a run and sniff why should i have to keep calling my dog back when other dogs approach on a lead.

Because it is part of responsible dog ownership!

Lots of people have offered comments and advice, and I think you have made it clear that you don't consider it your responsibility to keep your dog away from on lead dogs. It seems that you will only be happy if people agree that people who walk dogs on lead should do so in some magical place, reserved only for on lead dogs and far away from people who are unwilling to control their dog while off lead. On a forum such as this there are always differing opinions, and for every person who offers a comment or one piece of advise you like, there is probably going to be someone else who says something you don't. I'm going to bow out now, as I feel this is becoming too heated and in some instances down right rude. I hope you find some resolution to your problem.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
you are mad.... why don't you go  somewhere else if you are not happy with this place
you don't own it so you can not say who can go there and who can not

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
This is getting a little silly I admit.  The thing about advice is you either take it or you don't.......but you don't have to resort to rudeness or name calling if the answers are not what you want to hear.

I understand what you are saying about the remote places but the fact is that they are open for everybody whether you like it or not.  People who go there with on lead dogs do so because they can and because they have that right, the same as you.  For all you know, the reason they keep them on lead may be the same as why they go to somewhere quiet.  I walk mine on lead for reasons stated previously and given the choice, I would opt for somewhere remote.  Just because they are on lead, does not mean to say I must walk them somewhere where everyone else with on lead dogs go.

Live and let live.....

Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Wish there was a 'like' button pudding and sheryl!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
I can sympathise with some of your frustration in having to do stuff even when you're out and about but its all part and parcel of responsible dog ownership - if more owners were responsible then there would be fewer dogs needed to be onlead in the 1st place (my own cocker became grumpy with certain types of dog after being attacked on occasion by certain dogs).

I will close this now as I think its exhausted its usefulness and we're all going round in circles.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!