Author Topic: Won't give up crate !  (Read 1134 times)

Offline owned by Pebbles

• Pebbles
Won't give up crate !
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
Pebbles is two now and I thought that I would be leaving her with the run of the kitchen when I go out. She also still sleeps in her crate at night.
I have tried leaving the door of the crate open at night but she cries until I close it  :huh: . I have also tried leaving her with the crate door open when I go out and , when that didn't work ,just leaving her in a dog bed in the kitchen. Both times she cried her heart out  :'( - I could hear her when I got back and the neighbours heard her howling. She never does this when we close her crate and when we get back she looks very chilled and just lies there waiting for us to get her out. How do I break her crate addiction? I feel mean leaving her in a crate when she doesn't need it . (I don't work so the most she will ever be left for is 4 hours and usually it is under 2) .

Thanks for any hints /tips you can give me!
Fluffball Pebbles dob 31/12/09

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Won't give up crate !
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »
You're not mean  ;)  She just feels very very happy/secure in it  :shades:  Unless you are doing it because the crate is no longer able to be kept up in your house, I'd leave her as is... sounds like she's a very happy bunny in her current routine  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline jessandme

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
I think she's telling you that she does 'need' it - she feels safe in the crate, she likes having her own secure little space.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
My Poppy is the same, she adores her crate and despite having the opportunity to sleep on my bed at night she prefers to be in her crate, door shut and covered over :luv:
Unless its a huge issue within youe environment I really wouldn't worry  ;)

Offline owned by Pebbles

• Pebbles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
Thanks for all your messages - you're right she obviously feels safe in her little den  :luv:. Will carry on with her crate for as long as she wants it ! (Am a bit sensitive because a friend who is getting a puppy says that crates are cruel >:D
Fluffball Pebbles dob 31/12/09

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
Thanks for all your messages - you're right she obviously feels safe in her little den  :luv:. Will carry on with her crate for as long as she wants it ! (Am a bit sensitive because a friend who is getting a puppy says that crates are cruel >:D

I think Pebbles is letting you know that, that is not the case ;) :D

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »

I think Pebbles is letting you know that, that is not the case ;) :D

Definately not cruel....and pebbles obviuosly agrees.
Erin loved her crate.....slept in it even when door was open and she could choose where to sleep. Was not a happy bunny when we took it away :005:. Now Tilly is exactly the same and Erin will join her in it for a snuggle...if your girl is happy i would not worry about what others say

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 08:36:53 PM »

What a load of tosh. Is putting a baby in a playpen cruel?? Don't try to fix something that is not broken, let her have her crate.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
Pebbles obviously loves her crate, so i would let her use it  :shades:  it is def. not cruel  :dunno:
you could always try her with a larger one to give her more room  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
Both my girls always sleep in their crates at night and when I'm out, they are now 3 and 1. Sometimes they choose to go in one together and sometimes they sleep in separate ones, I let them do whatever they are happy with. Because we live on a busy road in a built up area, even though we are detached there is obviously noise during the day and I think they just feel safer and more secure in their crates. Our crates are here to stay all the whole my girls want them :-))

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
My Murphy is nearly two and half and he loves his crate he goes in it every night and when we are out and I'd we go away for the weekend we have to bring his crate with us as otherwise he doesn't sleep. Murphy loves it and he feels safe and secure and he takes himself off into his crate if he is tired or if he doesn't like what's on the telly! Don't feel bad about using as you woofer obviously wants the crate to remain as their secure place.
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
Take no notice and do whatever suits you and Pebbles  ;)  People who say a crate is cruel obviously does not understand how they should be used.  >:( If she is happy with it and you don't mind, then leave things as they are.  All dogs are different - Coco used to happily go into her crate at bedtime but never really used it during the day.  When she was about 1 I started to leave the door open and she chose not to sleep in it.  She is a very confident dog though so perhaps didn't feel she needed a safe and secure place. :dunno:  All dogs are different and you should do whatever suits you best  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Darwin

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
If a crate works you you and Pebbles I can't see the problem.  Sounds as if Pebbles see the crate as her safe place.  Darwin was 3yr in Feb and it was only last October that we stopped using the crate in the house,  Yet he still loves his crate and I'm sure he would be perfectly happy if he  was still using it regularly. I'll have to get the crate out again soon as we're having bathroom refitted, so he'll make things easier to manage.   

You just need to try and not think of the crate as a cage, as a suitable sized crate is roomy enough so that it's not a dog prison.  Cover it with a really nice blanket or have a look at the Wicker style crates (they're really expensive ) or maybe a fabric crate.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »
Tell your friend to stop talking out of her a&*e - using a crate to provide a safe and secure environment for your dog is a GOOD thing, locking it in a crate all the time would be bad but used properly it is a wonderful thing as Pebbles is showing you!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
My sister has a rescue Working cockerX, Jack
he will only relax enough to sleep when in a cage with the door shut,
after just over a year she has managed to get him to rest on a mat, bed, couch, but he only relaxes enough to sleep when the door is shut, and if you don't give him access he just stares at you.
when you send him to bed, he lets out a huge sigh, physically relaxes and snuggles down to sleep.
people who say a crate is cruel probably haven't seen the benefits it can give and the feeling of security some dogs need.
ignore them and do what you feel is best in your situation. ;)