Author Topic: Won't let go.  (Read 457 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Won't let go.
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
I'm at my wits end trying to teach Archie a reliable drop command. Any tips would be much appreciated. He knows the command and in the house I can get him to bring me any contraband and exchange it for a biccie. Outside, even in the garden but more so on a walk, I have no way of getting him to let go of anything. This morning we met a neighbour on our walk and she threw a ball for her dog but it landed at Archie's feet. He ran off with it and I couldn't get it off him. I had to bring it home to get it back. Lucky I can drop it round to her later. He was pretty growly with it on the walk too. Not good. He also does this with clothes and will clamp onto a jumper (while it's being worn  >:() and I can't prize it off him. This is a real problem with my pupils. I thought it was getting better during the summer but of course we were all in T shirts and now the woollies are back out its back to square one.
I play fetch games while we are training but if I try it out on a walk he runs off with his prize and refuses to give it up, or even come back to me with it. I know I'm doing something wrong but I just can't seem tofigure this one out. Help!

Offline aqualiv

Re: Won't let go.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
Mine is exactly the same and at home the word biscuit gets her to drop whatever she has in her mouth.
When out on a walk, I simply carry two balls so that i throw one and then she drops the other. Could you not take a ball with you on a walk?
Cocker Spaniels are like beer...you have one ...then another...then another...then another...!

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: Won't let go.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
we have had major problems with this and have been to a trainer as it was getting very embarrasing. the things we try are keeping practising leave it at home. and aslo giving pepper the idea that we own the ball not him and we always play by our rules. therefore we do not leave balls around the house for him to play with . when we go out in the garden i throw the ball , he is treated when he brings the ball back and gives it to me . before we play i play with the baal throwing it up to show it is my ball. i choose when the game finishes.
for all that it is still a problem. i need to take a ball out now and practise outside,but it needs to be in a condfined area as he will just run off with it outside,
the problem of getting a ball of another dog, i can only suggest
1. try to look ahaead and avoid situation, main thing is to get your dog to you before he starts chainsing after another dogs ball.
2. i foind if he gets a ball , the more i try to get it back the worse he is. Apparently i am giving him the message that this is a precious resource and worth gaurding. usually it works best if i walk away . he tends then to hide / drop the ball . i reward him when he follows me, put him on the lead and then go back, find ball and return to owner, normally very embarrased!
we are still working on it, and he is a but better. oh one oher thing for training we p0lay with the ball , i put it doen say leave it, treat, push ball between  my feet and reward a leave. when he is reluctant and puts his paw on the ball i say ;'min' firmly and pick it up.
i will be very nterested if you find anything else that works. to date i have also tried taking out another ball to entice pepper to swop but it hasn't worked yet.
good luck.