Author Topic: Gunfire  (Read 2517 times)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
Re: Gunfire
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
I too would recommend that the best way to get a nervy dog used to the sound of shot gun fire is to take the dog for a play/walk (where your concentration is 100% on him) near a clay shooting ground. The continuous firing of shot guns at a clay ground really helps the dog to register it as just a background noise, whereas one off shots (like from a starter pistol) can be rather more jarring and noticeable for a dog to pick up on.

Once the dog is happy with the background noise that happens every time he goes out for his play/walk with you, then you can start to gradually walk/play closer to the clay shooting ground. Eventually there's the added bonus of lots of doggy friendly people who will give lots of cocker cuddles etc... at the clay shooting ground, so your dog can meet the people who make the 'loud popping noises' and realise that they're great because they give treats/cuddles etc..  :D

The best bit is that this method of training can be done every day if needs be as most clay grounds are open 6 or 7 days a week and can be done on your own with your dog, with 100% of your concentration on your dog  :D

Good luck  :-*

Mary xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
..then do some hyper play like a dummy throw so it becomes the start of something good

This is how I train too. I will throw a dummy, a dizzied or dead bird or even a treat so they learn that wonderful things happen when the guns go off.

I also start at a distance and work my way closer (over time) to the guns. (Of course Crackers never really noticed the guns, she was too busy folloing her nose so it wasn't an issue with her :005:)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline pete19873.5efi

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
Guns = Fun
Is the simple equation even for the nervous pupil.
Take him for a run near a clay shoot, hunt him in the cover, play ball, all the fun things you would do usually.
If you want to work him start with a muffled pistol shot on a retrieve whilst the dog is stopped say 10yds away, pick the retrieve and lots of fun. Don’t overdo it to start with
 My Blue dog was a bit timid on the gun to start with, I now shoot over him.